Is it possible to tell age by looking at pics?

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
Here are 2 pics of Stumpy's gnashers, afraid the best ones I have :rolleyes:

Can you tell just by looking at her teeth what age she is? And if so, what age is she roughly?

9.jpg

8.jpg

I'm not real great at this but from those pictures I would guess around 8-10yo. It would help to have a real side on picture with her teeth together (not open). Hope that helps!

Well the vet aged her between 6 and 8 and that was just under six months ago.

I tried to see the shape of her tables but struggled. Any tips on how to take photos of her teeth inside?

You can't really tell from those photos as you need to be able to see the stars on her teeth. And have a look at the hooks on the fourth incisors. But from the uprightness of her teeth and size and shape, she doesn't looks too old.

Aging is fairly accurate up until about 8yrs due to the obvious changes in the stars of her teeth. After that you guess :rolleyes: . Unfortunatly, there's points when the teeth could be either i.e 7yrs old or 21yrs old. Thats when general background knowledge comes in. Kim is very elderly now (27yrs) but the equine dentist we had 6yrs ago (when she was 21) said she was 12yrs old :rolleyes: - her teeth looked right and she was in such good body condition. So not all that accurate ;)

gorgeous piccy's:D. My old mare was running out of tooth when she died,she had normal big teeth all her life but about two years before she died they started to get smaller. Horses only have a limited amount of tooth to grow replace that lost by grinding and eating their food, and hers had started to run out bless her.I think she was about 28 when she died. Also, the teeth of an older horse start to angle outwards more-I used to know the reason why, but I've forgotten it now. Any way your lovely girl/boy has a lovely straight angle to her teeth so i would say she's not an oldster/pensioner by any means :)

Last edited:
the only thing i can tell is that she is probably under 10.
ive got old ponies and the angle of her teeth is alot less then them so under 10 deffo

It's difficult to tell without having a really good look around. The tables of the teeth need to be looked at aswell but as there is no visible Galvaynes groove yet I'd age her at around eight or nine - certainly no older than ten. The corner incisors are a good guide at the moment. At four years they would not be level with the other teeth; at five years they are level but if you look at the surface it will not be in wear. At six years the tables (surface of the teeth) will be in wear and by the time that the horse is seven the tooth has worn and a hook appears. The tooth then levels but at around nine or ten years the Galvaynes groove becomes just noticable. Having said all this the only sure way of telling your horse's exact age is by knowing when they were born.

Lol Steph. Pic was she was just smelling my new christmas pressie perfume (last christmas day!) and the second was after she'd eaten her sloppy tea :p

Whatever age she is, she still acts like a 4 year old :rolleyes:

chickflick - You asked how to get a good look at the teeth to get a decent photo - this sounds horrible but is how all horses are handled to get their teeth looked at!
To get a good look at her teeth you need to get hold of her tongue and pull it out of the side of her mouth - she won't bite down on her own tongue and therefore won't bite down on you, so you'll be able to get a good look in safety! Keep hold of it and keep your fingers out of the way just in case!

newrider.com