Is it safe to ride in a drizzle???

Laya

Dec 7, 1999
Pennsville, NJ USA
I was just wondering if anybody here would ride in a light drizzle??? From when it's just spitting to a little more than that... Or could you just rate the weather 1 throught 10 on when you'd go riding or not, 10 being the highest. Thank you.

sure, why not? as long as it's not too cold, you're not going to be out for hours, and the footing doesn't get too slippery and muddy, i see no reason why a light drizzle is anything so horrible. i figure that if it doesn't bother you, chances are good that it's not gonna bother the horse too much! just make sure he gets cooled off real well, and isn't put away soaking wet and chilly.

and again, always make sure your footing is safe, whatever the weather. :cool:

[This message has been edited by cynthia (edited 04 January 2000).]

Tahnks for replying, especially so soon!! Wow!! :) I was just wondering, because I'm always worried that it'll thunder or lightning out, and I know how bad Justin hates the thunder. I guess I was a bit worried.

yeah, that's true about thunder and lightning. but you should be able to tell when it's getting real stormy out, as opposed to just light rain or drizzle - and if you're concerned, you can always just check the weather report on tv or the paper. do you live in an area where thunderstorms are common? or do they come on suddenly without any warning?

even if that's the case, you can just be watchful when the sky gets a little darker than it should for just a little drizzle. or stop and turn back before you get too far from home! :cool:

Where I'm from, it can be drizzling, and then you'll hear a low rumbling sound consistently... then, the whole sky can actually light up or just erupt with thunder. So I'm extra weary when it's even drizzling out, and I was wondering if that's normal for a rider to worry like that??? Another reason why could be because I'm extra careful about working with Justin because he freaks when it's thundering, even if he's inside or just be groomed.

I ride in all types of rain short of thundering. Your best bet is to stick close to the barn if you think it might thunder and lightning, then you can get back quick and avoid a desaster :eek:. I love riding in the rain in the summer :cool:, it's the perfect cool off, short of swimming in out pound (which I do with my horses too :D) It can be lots of fun

yeah, i'm with dreamer. stick close to the barn when it's drizzling, and dismount and bring him in if you hear any suspicious rumbling.

but aside from that - wow! i'd like to live wherever it is you live, because i absolutely adore thunderstorms! :cool: when i drove cross-country several years ago (from boston to british columbia, by way of the canadian rockies, on one trip, from boston to california, by way of the desert southwest, on another) we had a bad habit of driving around chasing thunderstorms across the plains! great fun, until you have to pitch a tent in driving winds, torrential downpours, and lightning, and try to sleep for the night! :rolleyes:

Laya, just a thought, but you may want to try desensitizing Justin to thunder. Why does he dislike it, do you know? Was he maybe left out in it for an extended time? (I had a Belgian Trevurn that was totally petrified of it, but he had been wandering in a severe storm when I found him). The thing is, most horses take it in stride (please forgive the pun, he-he!) and you don't want to be at a show and have him freak out on you; (most shows around here continue on despite the elements, unless there is also severe lightning...you know, "the show must go on!!")

As far as your original question, drizzle is fine to ride in, as long as the footing isn't too sloppy, like the other posters stated.

HL2

I ride in the rain quite often, I find it kind of refreshing. I do try to stay in the trees if it's a cold rain though. That's another thing bareback riding is good for- it'll keep you warm.

Like everyone else said, the main thing to watch for is lightning and thunder. If you do get caught away form the barn, get off, and get near a tree, or something taller than you. If the forecast is for rain, take a halter and lead with you that you could put on your horse if you needed it.

Allie

Good thought about the lead rope Allie, I ALWAYS put one around my girl's neck when we're out hacking, just in case something would go wrong.

Thanks guys.

No, I don't know why Justin spooks at thunder, I guess around here, it just sort of comes out of no where.

Have you thought of putting a hlater underneath of your bridle instead of around your horse's neck???

newrider.com