Is it too hot to ride?

Its winter here at the moment - but during summer if its over, say 35C, i tend to not work them very hard, generally just go out on a hack. I find this works best for us because the arena's at my agistment property are all in full sunlight, and out on the trails it tends to be cooler - so we still trot, canter etc but we get to do it in the shade which is nice :):) i always give a cold hose down after a ride in summer. We don't have hot water in the stables, so i always go up to the lounge and heat up some water to wash my bub with during winter so i don't make him cold.

I don't know if it is fact or old wives tale but I was taught or have always believed that to leave water on the coat could burn like sun through a magnifying class hence never to wash or leave a wet horse in direct sunlight.

Having actually written it down now however it does seem a bit bizarre.:confused:

eml said:
I don't know if it is fact or old wives tale but I was taught or have always believed that to leave water on the coat could burn like sun through a magnifying class hence never to wash or leave a wet horse in direct sunlight.

Having actually written it down now however it does seem a bit bizarre.:confused:

Thanks EML - that's probably right. Idiot woman here hosed Misty down last night and left her in the sun to dry. Will make sure she's in the shade next time.

I dont wash Falcon off when I've finished riding him when it's hot. (I usually ride in the evening anyway). I just turn him back in the field and he has a good roll.

newrider.com