Is there a reason why my instructor is only bringing me out on hacks?

@Nierva £100 an hour OMG! OMG!

Sometimes when I am out hacking I work out how much buying Sid and having Sid is costing me and what that might work out at per ride. Then I compare it to what I would pay if I was renting a horse, however you do that. At £50 a ride I think we're comfortably in the black, but £100 per ride, wow! Sid is a bargain!
Very true! I’d get my own horse if I a) had reliable enough finances to know I wouldn’t end up having to sell it on (I don’t, my savings are currently going on learning to ride properly, as I’ve always loved horses and wanted to, but only ever got 1-2 hour hacks a year when I was younger) and b) I weren’t moving every year and had somewhere to keep it where it (and myself) could settle.

Yes, unfortunately, while there are plenty of horses here, it’s mostly just livery yards and privately owned horses. The two main horse riding places are both Hydros, i.e. tourist traps and facilities for high level cross country riders, etc. Not so great for me!

@Nierva that's very sensible, and just because you're not in a position to own now doesn't mean you never will be. When the time comes at least you'll be well prepared :)

Reactions: Nierva
@Nierva that's very sensible, and just because you're not in a position to own now doesn't mean you never will be. When the time comes at least you'll be well prepared :)
I really love horses, and animals in general. And to me, loving them also means not having them and just fussing over/helping with anyone else’s whose willing to let me until I feel I’m in a stable enough position to get one myself. Anything can happen in life, of course, but I’m totally against knowingly taking a huge risk that affects another living being of any kind. 🤷‍♀️🙂 Nope, will just have to keep loving on everyone else’s for now…until hopefully I get there, as you say! Thank you.

newrider.com