is there any way of knowing if a mare has bred?

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
Is there any way of knowing if a mare has bred before? Mistys' previous owner thinks she may of had some foals when she was over in Ireland but doesn't know for sure and has merely gone by the size of Mistys udders.

the vulva would be very wrinkled as it would have stretched when the mare foaled. Unlike humans, mares udders dont really changed after foaling ;)

Hmm I would possibly disagree with that TBH,my clydie mare definitely had a foal the year before I got her and her udder/teats and general bits in that area:eek:,were bigger and more saggy/hanging down than other mares I have known that haven't had a foal.

Maybe a complete co-incidence but several people I knew said that it was because she had foaled:confused:

Rio has been a broodmare and has udders like a cow :D Tess hasn't and hers are tiny, so I'm guessing it does make a difference in most cases :)

hmm well her udders are noticeable from side on and do hang quite low compared to mares on the yard who've definately not foaled.

My brother is usually spot on - he looks at their udders - says 'mmmm....' lifts up their tail.....and either says 'never seen the stallion' or 'one or two have popped out of there'.....:D:D

Far too much of a lady to ever ask him EXACTLY what he is seeing!!! But he is more often than not right.:D

My brother is usually spot on - he looks at their udders - says 'mmmm....' lifts up their tail.....and either says 'never seen the stallion' or 'one or two have popped out of there'.....:D:D

Far too much of a lady to ever ask him EXACTLY what he is seeing!!! But he is more often than not right.:D

lol best take some pics to put up and you can get him to look for me lol.

newrider.com