itchy feathers

Pigletsmum

Oct 4, 2008
Frankie has been rubbing his back hooves on the opposite back leg to presumably itch his feathery bits. Not sure if its mites or just itchy. What shampoos are worth a try?

global herbs Footstamp (Pestoban) has been great for ours over the years.

Also been recommended by a vet to use an anti-dandruff shampoo thats got Selenium Sulphide in it - i got some from boots over the counter called Selsun. Recommended to use that twice in one week then every other week, it kills the mites. I have used it once and i must admit she hasnt scratched her feathers since!

If persistent itching even after washing quite a few times then get the vet for a dectomax injection, always works for ours.

I've just bought Frankie some skratch supplement but he's been turning his nose up at it - not surprising it's stinky!

Regular use of pig oil and sulphur - swear by it for both mites and mud fever - not had a single bit of either since starting to use it on my two hairy boys.

When Jens ligs were really bad i used to wash in a coaltar shampoo from boots, seemed to stop the itching but not the mud fever so swapped to pig oil and sulpher and havn't looked back since :)

we used Frontline and that stopped ours itching their feathers. now we treat with pig oil and sulphur to prevent any further itching.

I used to use PO&S on my hairies and will be investing in some again just as soon as I can get my hands further down Albi's legs than his knees :rolleyes:

However, will it actually RID the feathers of mites (which could be what Frankie is suffering from) or will it just prevent them from re-infestation? :confused:

newrider.com