Itchy Wotsit

ElvisFan

Jun 12, 2005
One of our ponies is scratching his sheath alot. He rubs it along the ground when hes rolling and kicks at it alot. We,ve checked it as much as we possibly can and cleaned him with just plain water but it still bothers him at times. Hes weeing fine and his "tackle" looks ok. Any ideas?

Think I may have put this in the wrong section. Sorry:eek:

you can get special sheath wash which is antiseptic or something i think,
we used at my old RS as one of the horses was always kicking his :)and with my old gelding i used to put a rubber glove on and stick my hand inside the sheath and pull out lumps of black stuff :eek:

Has anybody done a hunt for the bean?

If not, I'd get that sorted - either yourself (loads of advice on sheath cleaning threads in here) or by the vet under sedation if necessary.

If he's making himself sore, I'd get the vet out regardless.

This is one of the jobs that makes me wish I'd bought a mare! :p

I haven't looked for the bean, trying for a clean though! One tip I did read which if it works is a great idea, and that was to mix some baby oil with water and put in a spray bottle, when the little big puts in an appearance you spray and hey presto you have self cleaning tackle! :)

I did have a rather embarassing moment a few days ago though, with Ranger tied up and trying to get his bits to put in an appearance. I was rubbing his tummy and saying and saying "come on Ranger, show us your big w*lly" and then I looked up and saw a family cycling past, Mum, Dad, kids, dog the works, could have died on the spot :eek:

newrider.com