I've been sort of offered 14 acres with stables to rent - advice appreciated!

Iv just been offered a similiar prospect and im taking it though iv only got 8 acres. Im tired of having my YO bitch about me and all the liveries and for the money im paying im jst not getting what she promised us when we firt moved there. EG. my horse last week was sedated and had stitches and there was not a hope in hell that she would let me put my horse in a field by herself (there isnt a shortage of them either;)) She was so rude and wouldnt even let me even explain what had happened!

Iv got a muck heap removal person but iv been told it wont have to be done very often if you manage it properly...!

Poo picking - well im lucky iv got little slaves.. tounger brother and sister but I thought that if it is done every day in summer and ever second day in winter then we should keep ontop of it.

I think that it would be a great oppertunity and we can always share our concerns and worries as the time goes on. The school isnt a big issue for me as Im still in school I get free periods during the day and the yard is a 10 min walk away so could awlays pop over then!

hope this helps
tam x

No school for the winter
a corner of the field does very nicely! who needs a school?! :p

All poo picking and field management ourselves
not difficult, there are groundcare companies who will do it for you, or if you've a 4x4/farmer friends get them involved! fertilising, use seaweed fertiliser, much better for horse grazing!

What the heck would I do with the muck heap? Do any of you pay to get it removed?
ours is removed by our landlords. get in touch with local agricultural contractors and farmers, see if they will help

Feed, hay and shavings would be easy enough to get delivered.
we have feed, hay and bedding delivered no probs. Hay delivery is free if we order 50 bales and the farmer unloads/stacks them for us too!

I have 2 stables and 4 acres (we moved off same yard jumper_stars is on!). It was a steep learning curve to start with and i owe a lot to peeps on NR for their advice!! but once you've had your own place, you'll wonder why you ever bothered with livery!

It's a huge step but your more than capable from what I know about you.

Go for it and do it now so you can settle before winter.

xx

I must be one of the few people who would prefer to be on a yard with other people. As nice as it would be to have Milly and a friend right outside my window, I love being on a yard with plenty of people to talk to and hack out with. Also all those things you mentioned arent a worrry to me, I just get to go up, enjoy my horse, have a good natter and go home - no muck heap management and very minimal poo picking. Bliss!

I would jump at the chance. The horses won't mind the goats. Then make excellent companions.

You don't need a school if you have 14 acres. Slightly more difficult if your doing dressage comps or something I suppose. Check out the local area maybe there are other horses around who you could link up with on a ride.

If your fed up with the yard your at now I would say that it is an excellent prospect.

Maybe you could ask if the builder would agree to you having one other person that you rent with, if theres enough stables. Anymore and things may become difficult but it would be good to hack out with another occasionally. Personally I think it would be a great opportunity.

If you can get hold of something: crate a muck truck, or a muck trailer. So you load all your muck in it (have a ramp to push the wheelbarrow up) and then when the muck truck or trailer is fall you can drive it away to a pre determined point. More farmers would be willing for this (we had an old agreement like this) as it doesn't put them out so much.

As for the issue of having no school - find a good corner of a field! I find my guys school best in a field anyway as they have no fence to fall onto and so go much better off my leg. So you could almost say having no field is a good schooling exercise ;)

Poo picking can be easily managed as long as you keep on top of it. As can fertiliser and things so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'd say go for it, it sounds a fabulous place and opportunity.

It sounds a fantastic oppertunity Dee, every horse owners dream to have your own place isn't it!

I understand your worries but only one of them would worry me and that would be not having a school with a young horse.

I may be a bit of a fusspot! But I personally would not school on hard ground that would be around in the summer and and if we have a winter like last year you may not have an area to ride in for most of the time.

Is it in close proximaty of a school you could hire regulary if you needed to?

I presume you would have enough acreage to take a few people with you, so lonliness for you and Coops wouldn't be an issue :)

Ooo it is a tuff decision!

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!! Honestly, I am a yard wimp, I came from a lovely happy state of the art yard to having 13 acres, no school and a couple of mobile field shelters (well, they look like real stables to me anyways!). I have no water supply nor electricity to them, but I manage. I use large buckets and carry the water in screw top water containers - either on the quad bike or I barrow them down. Its not a big deal. If I need lights I have some battery powered lights that you can re-charge. But during the summer there is no need of course. At first it was difficult, and a BIG shock not having anywhere "proper" to school. But, the hacking more than makes up for it, and you can school as you hack! Plus, you have nobody to consider but you and your horses.
Don't worry about the muck heap either - you'll be able to either spread it on your own land (seek advice about this one) or get a local farmer to take it away. We plan to ask a farmer to take ours once or twice a year - and spread it for us. Its not half as hard as you think once you actually get stuck in! It all sounds so daunting at first!!!!
Hay and shavings and food, I get from the old yard - they're more than happy to deliver it for me.
As for poo picking and field management - don't worry! Poo picking is no big deal if you keep on top of it, plus, if you're worried about weeds / poisonous plants, when in doubt - ASK ON HERE!!! If I'm not sure about a weed I pull it up just to be safe!
Oooh, its too exciting! Only thing is you might miss your old friends on the yard - I have to go back and see ours regularly - to catch up on the goss!!!

I have to be totall honest Dee, and hope you won't be offended, but I WOULDN'T do it... I don't feel that I'd have enough experience to 'run' a yard now, I know I wouldn't have had when I'd only had a horse for a couple of years.

I also think there are lots of other things to consider before you do make a decision...

If you're going to have 'liveries' (assuming the owner of the land allows you to 'sub let')....

.... are they going to pay? If so, what about tax implications?

...are you going to be insured? If not what happens if.....(insert horror situation of your choice where someone elses horse gets injured or killed and it's 'your' fault cause it was 'your' fence/contractor in a tractor/dog..)

...What are your expectations of your liveries going to be? All DIY? I assume so as you won't be making this your 'job', in which case, what happens when one or other doesn't 'do' their horse, or their share of the poo picking?

....How are you going to 'choose' your liveries? Is it going to be strictly 'friends' (great way to fall out with friends, becoming their YO!) or are you going to have to accept other folk too in order to make ends meet? What if you don't get on with them? Or two of your liveries don't get along? How are you going to feel about 'evicting' people with their horses?

.... What are your 'boundaries' going to be regarding use of the land/stables? Is it going to be OK for someone to hoon their heavyweight cob round your 'schooling bit' in wet weather and churn it up? OK to leave an obviously distressed horse in alone because it's overweight/got a show next day/owner can't be bothered to groom mud off if it goes out and rolls? OK to park a lorry/trailer/boyfriends quad bike on the land?

...Worming programme? How are you going to ensure that all the horses are wormed to YOUR satisfaction?

...Innoculations- will you insist that all horses innoculations are up to date?

...What about yard rules? Children allowed? Only accompanied? Dogs allowed? Use your own tools or have communal ones? Storage for tack, feed, rugs etc etc etc.

Also, how is the family that own the land and presumably from what you've said, live nearby or on it, going to cope with liveries coming and going, farriers/vets/dentists/feed merchants/ hay deliveries/ etc turning up, Horses to-ing and fro-ing etc etc?

I'm sure by now you are raising your eyebrows at good old 'the cup is half EMPTY' Claire... but the reality is that all these things will have to be taken into account, along with a million more... so please, think very hard before taking on such a huge commitment.... I'd hate to see your dream turn into a nightmare that spoils your appreciation of your boy and your 'leisure' time (which will become more like work than work!).

You only live once......Go for it. This could be your Secret goal come true.:cool:

If it goes pearshaped. Move on.;)

School in a cut down, fenced off part of the field...........

Spread muck on a sectioned off acre of the field............

Hay can be cut and baled from your field by a local farmer at a fraction of the cost to buy it in...............plus you know what is in it.

Insurance you wouldnt need to worry about because YOU would not be the YO...The owner would need insurance but that is their concern.

You pay your livery to the owner and the others pay their own to the owners. Dont get involved with collecting the money in or you will be seen as the person responsible.;)

I can only add my experiences to everyone else's. I have only ever been on one yard and it was ok but since then I have rented fields and done it by myself having said that at the moment I am on a farm so the farmer does the hard work but as he said it's my field he just keeps it nice for me (bless) and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than being on a yard, yes there are a few drawbacks but I have to say as far as I am concerned I could not go back to a yard unless absolutely desperate. I love the freedom I have and I still have horsey friends to gossip, and ride with I just don't have to live with them:eek::D

newrider.com