I've gotten to love horses with bouncy trots!

S

StartingAgain

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm now loving Homer, the 2nd RS horse I'm riding who has the most unbelievable bouncy trot.

I did have a couple of lessons doing a sitting trot on him before I took off for two weeks and I just barely mastered it. This week I just came back to riding and thought I was going to die in the first 5 minutes. I couldn't even rise to his trot much less sit it.

But you know, his bounciness really made me stretch and got me to relax and soon we were going more forward than he's ever gone before with me. We did some figure eights and flying lead changes in canter and he went perfectly! Had a substitue riding instructor who also likes dressage so she was having us work on the upward and downward transitions a lot and going from the rising trot to sitting trot to sitting canter to two-point canter then to the sitting canter and sitting trot, then walk. He was very, very fluid and very responsive.

I like her a lot, it may be a little awkward to switch instructors at the same school. They really don't want to poach each other's students. But my regular instructor may have a conflict at the time I need to go and this instructor teaches at that time so maybe it will all work out!

You're welcome to my mare then. I've had her for 2 1/2 years now and still find her trot can be 'challenging'. I certainly couldn't sit to it for 2 mins :eek: :rolleyes:

Mind you I reckon that in having to deal with my mare I could pretty much handle any other horses trot :cool:

You're welcome to my mare then. I've had her for 2 1/2 years now and still find her trot can be 'challenging'. I certainly couldn't sit to it for 2 mins :eek: :rolleyes:

Mind you I reckon that in having to deal with my mare I could pretty much handle any other horses trot :cool:

Ditto that! Bareback I admit to doing walk to canter transitions and back to avoid boinging....bad pl52!

Perhaps you could have one week with one instructor and one week with the other?

I can't believe I'm saying this either. :eek: If I were in England, I'd love to meet Joy and Littles! BTW, is Joy, Joyscarer's horse or palmerlover's? Or do you both have separate horses both named Joy?

I can sit Homer's trot as long as I let my hips spread really w-i-d-e. They feel like they're being spread apart like taffy. :D Hence, I can't do it if I'm really stiff.

Joyscarer said:
I certainly couldn't sit to it for 2 mins

We definitely didn't sit it for two minutes at first, Joyscarer! :eek: I would have been bouncing all over the place! We started the lesson mostly in 2-point even at the walk to loosen both of us up (yeah, I'm taking the hunt seat lessons in the U.S. where most instructors I've found don't like the sitting trot for beginners, but luckily this one does as long as I put the requisite time in 2-point LOL) and then she had me sit when asking for the transitions. Then I sat longer and longer as I got more comfortable in it. Homer even did a flying lead change which was the first time I'd done one!

Joy is Joyscarers horse ;) I used to share her :)

I love love love the name Homer for a horse! :p

To loosen up your hips, you can sit astride the horse (or something similar!), take your feet out of the stirrups, the slowly raise one leg so you can touch your shin comfortably. Then once you have hold of your shin, try to move it AWAY from the saddle as far as you can. Hold for around 3-5 seconds, and release slowly. Repeat on the other side ;)

newrider.com