Ivermectin wormer for mange/lice?

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Hogan has what I think is mange, caught from his field mate (who has it really bad). I've used the lime plus dip, which the vet gave us for lice, and is supposed to work on mange too, but it's not working that well. I see that ivermectin is recommended, in wormer form - has anyone tried this, and what was the result? This is the field mate, Hogans nowhere near as bad - yet. The vets given a shampoo for field mate, but there's not a massive improvement.Screenshot_20200413-132607_Gallery.jpg

We use noramectin pour on wormer for the cattle which does lice. Im not sure whether it covers mange. Id have to look on the bottle which is in my tack room. Can check shortly as im going along there. Of course it wont be licenced for horses. But i use a drop on billy and chunky last week, to kill off the tick billy had. I applied direct to the tick and put a bit on both there manes.

The other thing that might cover mange is crovect (for sheep). Id have to look on the bottle. Or even spot on.

That picture still looks like it could be lice to me.

Ivermectin wormer will kill blood suckers, but there's 2 types of lice, those that suck blood and those who just eat the skin. No clue with mange, it's a type of mite isn't it? Maybe look up how it feeds.

Reactions: Huggy
Thanks all - it's much worse this time round, so I'll have to look into everything

Were you thinking of a pour on or an oral paste. I cant see any oral wormers that cover internal mange/lice treatment. The pour ons are all cattle and sheep ones. I cant see a pour on one for horses.
Youd have to speak to a vet to see if they know of a wormer. But if your field mate has already been provided a treatment i expect thats what is licensed for a horse. There maybe an ivermectin injection that can be given under the skin. Youd have to ask the vet.

Were you thinking of a pour on or an oral paste. I cant see any oral wormers that cover internal mange/lice treatment. The pour ons are all cattle and sheep ones. I cant see a pour on one for horses.
Youd have to speak to a vet to see if they know of a wormer. But if your field mate has already been provided a treatment i expect thats what is licensed for a horse. There maybe an ivermectin injection that can be given under the skin. Youd have to ask the vet.
Well, what's strange, is that the vet that came out before, gave us the lime plus, which worked. But this time, when the YO rang, they consulted over the phone, and when she asked, they said they no longer use lime plus. The first time was only 4 wks ago, so don't know why that's changed. The shampoo being used on the other horse doesn't seem very effective. I'll give it til Wednesday, then ring and see if they have anything to add to the mix.

Yep permethrin use to be used. Mind has gone. Is that one they band. Used for sweetitch years ago. Got some of that still in the tack room. Its years old.
Or is that what they still use to treat headlice in children.
The other thing that use to be used for mange is Alugan shampoo. It came in sachets. You cant get it anymore as it has some band substance. Ive got some sachets of that too in the tack room.

Sorry ment banned not band. I was sitting there thinking thats not how you spell it but i had huge brain fog and couldnt for the life of me remember the spelling. Its just come to me.
Also apologise for being no use in my musing of banned substances from years gone by.
Need to get some fresh air. Im off to ride.

Reactions: Huggy
Yes I've got deosect. Sprayed him yesterday, but now im worried I've thrown too much at him! Shallow of me, but I'm bloody petrified he starts losing mane.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com