Jack russell/ border collie cross???

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
I am on the look out for another dog. Lots of you know my lovely great dane Patsy was PTS in Jan and i have my old lady Scamp who is 16 left on her own. She is fine without canine company always has been, it is me who needs another.

I just feel like there is something missing when we are out walking, or cycling etc. I need another family friend who will come pretty much everywhere with us.

This time however no great dane as we just dont have the room in the car with 3 kids and all the bits they need, and for luggage when we go on holiday. So this time im thinking small to medium need only apply!

SO i came across this little beast.
http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/jack-russellboarder-collie/78192251

i think he is gorgeous but is this a nightmare mix?? Two very intelligent breeds who can be very demanding.

Not exactly a kiddy friendly mix perhaps?

He currently lives out so would he be hard to house train? My little scamp came from kennels at the cat and dog home but was instantly clean in house so thinking might be worrying about nothing here. I am a worrier.:redface:

Any thougths???

At first my hubby was like 'no way dont you dare buy a dog when im not there'... then he saw the pic!!! He is like 'buy him now'!!

Hoping to meet him tmrw, plan to meet in park to see how he is with other dogs and then perhaps bring him to my parents to meet the kids and see how he seems. I think i am doggy enough to be able to judge hias character reasonabley well. You know how you can usually just tell in their eyes.

He looks cute. I wouldn't have thought his breeding would make him not child friendly, lots of my yard friends have jack Russells and they have kids, lots have border collies without problem.

Being 6 months old I wouldn't imagine him taking too long to settle in a house environment and become house trained. Is he used to kids now? Thats the only thing, if he is too used to his own quiet time outside then he may struggle with noise and stuff associated with kids.

Mind u, £200 for a cross breed seems awfully expensive? We have always gone to rescue centres and never paid anywhere near that for our cross breeds.

He is so cute.
sometimes they 'find' you rather than you finding them if you know what I mean,
we have aJR and he is the bestest dog in the world
intelligence = no problem, he will pick up toilet training etc so much easier,
Basil is a 10 year old terrorist who love to be busy but he has never ever messed in the house since we got him at 14 weeks, we showed him what to do and he has done that ever since! intelligence = very good. :tongue:

I think anything with Collie in it is very trainable. Quirky but very trainable. Terriers are headstrong, but so long as you are consistent there's no reason why they cannot learn and be very nice little people.

I'd have him like a shot if I was looking for another dog, but then I have always had collies

oo all good, i'm getting excited now!!

Although he is currently living outside he apparently lives on a busy farm. Having quiet time with us not a problem as we are rural with a big garden to explore and older two kids are out during the day so just me and the bubs at home.

The £200 quid is a bit off putting but the guy already reckons he 'invented' this cross breed, which having investigated seems to be known as a border jack, the old guy who has this one, albeit an unplanned occurance between his collie and jack russell tells me he has named them 'brussels':giggle: I just hope they dont give you wind!!! The 200 quid was to cover the whole passport, rabies jab, microchipping etc and i presume also so he knows he is going somewhere he is wanted rather than someone having him seeing as he is cute and free

I am hoping to see him today so will let you know how i get on.

I think every farm has a cross collie/terrier of some kind, I think they invented themselves! ;) Silly man.

Your man has not invented this breed, they usually come about by accident!

I've got one of similar breeding, border collie x terrier, and the terrier bit includes Jack Russell and Corgi. He's quite a character to say the least! Behaviour-wise, he's extremely loyal, and needs a territory to be a caretaker of, if you get my meaning! All collies need a job to do, and I think that gene comes down a generation even when mixed with other breeds :tongue: He's not one for too many games, he decides when he's had enough, and while he loves exercise, I must admit he's been very patient with me having a gammy leg and not being able to walk him for a month now - we play football games in the garden and that is sufficing. If your lad is castrated, do watch about him putting on weight in a few years, I didn't think it would happen to my dog as he is quite energetic but it has crept up and he's dieting reluctantly at the moment!

I looked at the pics on your link, he is very nice looking and I assume in England, he has had his tail docked? While I am in general against this, my own collie x has had this done and I can't honestly imagine how strange he would look with a collie tail on a JR body!!! Yes, £200 is expensive but you can't blame his owner for trying to recoup his export fee. If he feels right to you, you can't put a price on a lifetime of canine love :angel:

Have been and met this little guy today.

Luna c - he doesnt have his tail docked and it looks ok. TBH he is quite a funny looking wee dog. He has the body of a decent sized collie but it is as if his legs have been taken off at the knee!!

He was lovely but quite timid. Seemed a bit overwhelmed by all the people arriving but this is understandable as he is on a very quiet farm.

He has never been on a lead so when the owner did this it was quite funny, he didnt struggle but held the bit of lead nearest his neck in his mouth as we walked!

He has also always been outside which makes me wonder how easy he would toilet train. I worry too as my old mongrel is a bit incontinent with the number 2's id hate to think this would cause confusion and be a problem for him.

Argh i hate making decisions. He was a wee beauty though.

I am so surprised by how hard it is to find a dog that needs a home. Fine if you have no kids but there seem to be no dogs that can be re homed with kids under 6.

I got my little mongrel from the cat and dog home 16 years ago before i had kids, even if i went back there and said id rescued her, scared, nervous and skinny all those years ago and we had overcome the 'issues' she came with i still doubt they'd find me a dog. Seems it is easier to foster a teenager than it is to give a dog a home!

Seems it is easier to foster a teenager than it is to give a dog a home!

Thats probably true! I think the rehoming schemes have been bitten in the ass by dogs going to homes with young children adn coming back rather quickly because it didnt work or a 'scandal' because said child got bitten. I think they are just covering their backs but doesnt make it easy. Social workers are very realistic about 'good enough' parenting, rescue centre workers may be a little 'precious'. No offense meant but maybe a little overprotective sometimes.

Have you considered putting a wanted ad on Gumtree? We did this and as fate would have it within minutes of me placing my ad, the people who previously owned Ruby were just logging on with heavy hearts to advertise her and were thrilled to see my ad. I was offered 4 staffies for free in the end! (and that was within less than a fortnight)

newrider.com