Jack the Lad!

daftdraught

Jul 24, 2009
Well you are all aware of the adventures we had getting Jack home after breaking down on the motorway, I think Jack is going to be one of those horses well he was born on the 13th so say no more! Since we have had him a couple of months he has settled in well (almost). To begin with we had him in with the mares who thought he was great to pee all over and squeal at they settled for a while and then decided they would either fight over him or just kick him, so poor Jack was put into a different field with his bachelor mate Chrunchie.
I used my OH as a crash test dummy and he rode Jack for the first time and he was a good boy, this gave me the courage to climb on board in a not very ladylike manner! and I too had a successful hack:dance:
Now Jack has very mild sweet itch which is controled with success using a fly rug and itch stop. However Jack can get the neck cover undone and has now rubbed of most his mane, I'm going to hogg him tomorrow. on top of that the little! guy has now got warts all over his nose and they look awfull. The vet said they will disapear in a couple of month. I got an email from his previous owner saying she will be in our area soon and can she visit, which I think will be lovely as we got on really well. However I am gutted that she will be greated with a maneless warted wonder and think "WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY HORSE". I might stick some pink ribbons on him and hope she doesn't notice.:frown::biggrin:
I now need a find a bit to suit him with breaks and order him his own bridle from KV he can't share Flora's forever!

Jack Warts have finally gone. Here are some photos of our friends who came to play a few weeks ago.

hastings19.jpg

This was his first time on a horse and he didn't mind my pink hat band. I suppose riding a shire makes you feel butch enough.:bounce::smoke:

Its a 6 1/2" military/driving bit I think myler made that one, it should have a curb chain but haven't got round to buying one (I might just nick one of one of our liverpool bits) Jack can get quite strong, Its quite universal and has lots of options, The police and army use them a lot, when I ride out I use two reins. I have only been on a few plods around the field as life is busy at the mo. Kate the Percheron is going on long term loan at the weekend so I can't see much riding going on. If the weather is nice, Sunday seems promising. I might even consider rugging (shock horror) just so the horses are dry and then it gives us more of chance at a hack on damp days.

Last edited:
newrider.com