Joint supplement

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Looking for a joint supplement to start giving to major, he is quite stiff so looking for something strong/proven to work! Any recommendations?

I know a couple of people swear by Superflex. My friend has a horse with bad stifles and Superflex is the only thing that keeps him supple. Every now and then he goes stiff and they up his Superflex for a few days which seems to do the trick. It's very expensive though.

ETA I've just worked out the cost per day out of curiosity and it's actually not that bad - friend gets the 3.2 kg tub which costs her over £100 but actually it should last 246 days at 13 g per day (if I've worked it out correctly!). You can get 400g tubs for £20 which last a month.

Last edited:
At the moment I use superflex, I'm not sure if it makes a difference to be honest, though I wonder if I would notice if I took him off it.

I'm actually changing to Riaflex, it's more expensive, but breakdown of price per ingredient, it appears to be the most cost effective out there. I will give it a shot and see if I notice a difference.

Cosequin kept Joe mobile for years - but did nowt for Storm, so trial and error I guess. I have heard good things about Superflex but it didn't do a lot for madam.

Superflex!! And I have tried the lot... Equine America, Spillers TEN, Feedmarks Equithing, Global Herbs Movefree Plus.... Superflex was a noted improvement to the rest of them, but every horse is different.. She's on Naf Devils Claw too now which is good too and if you think you need a bit of added pain relief with the joint support...

Seemingly turmeric is having great effects.
Have also heard good results with superflex and cortaflex but its true what works for one may not work for another.

Thanks everyone! He is prob around 19 so I wonder if I should be looking at pain relief rather than joint supplement? Is the damage already done? Is it a waste of money giving a supplement now?

I'll go to the feed shop today and see what I can get

I put Rubic on superflex and Hilton Herbs Rest and Recover Gold. Have to say, when I took Rubic off them I didn't notice a difference...:unsure:

I suggested Devils Claw on your other thread. The James Hart one if you can find it is expensive but much stronger and purer than NAF and Global. It is wonderful pain relief for stiff and older animals.

I believe that turmeric is excellent too!

Thanks everyone! He is prob around 19 so I wonder if I should be looking at pain relief rather than joint supplement? Is the damage already done? Is it a waste of money giving a supplement now?

I'll go to the feed shop today and see what I can get

If it's for pain relief and you suspect there is some pain then I would discuss with your vet, who may suggest a combo of treatment as ours has. Does he show much stiffness or just slightly? Sorry! You had already said!!! Its always worth having a chat with the vet - they can often save you money in the long term, eg, I was dead set on trying a few herbal remedies but he pointed me in the right direction.

I have tried the full works with Chanter who is now 20 and still in work.

He is now on Buteless one night then a bute the next and so on. He also has naf joint flex and turmeric but after the thread the other day about it having to be mixed with a pepper and an oil I have finished my last lot and stopped using it. As the reason for use was cheap and easy now with two other things to add and make up I just stopped.

newrider.com