Jumping Position Really Bad!!!

Mighty_Atom

cheryl
Jun 10, 2004
East Sussex
Visit site
I did another jumping show today and came 1st!!! I was really pleased with him but they were only like 1'3". With every jump i seemed to pull him in the mouth and just cant get my hands up his neck. Also the fact that atom was napping around the corners and running towards the gate. Anyway after a hard round i found out i had circled before a jump which counts as a refusal so i had another go and got round (but i forgot about i had to wait for the whistle so they let me off). Then was the jump off and atoms little legs were going so fast and i was just throwing myself over the jump(not good position) but all i hard work paid off and we WON!! Any tips on jumping positions???

Last edited:
you wont need much of a jumping position if you are jumping jumps at that height anyway.Most people i see out competiing against me over 3,6 tracks have got the horses that can jump but are such messy riders! Just come slightly out of the saddle and give with your hands, you oviously depend on your hands to much when you ride. Why not have a few jumping lessons

I think that no matter what height your jumping its always good to practice good position. When working in lessons my instructor said to think of "folding" over the jump. I didnt have enough give in my arms so i put my hair rubber band in my mare's mane to remember about where to put my hands! As for your leg, my instructor tells me to stand up (as if your standing on the ground) and walk around. If your legs are too far forward or back you wont be able to stay up. Also try to touch your chin to your horses mane without using your hands, if you fall without any balance then your legs arent in the right place. Just some helpful hints I've learned along the way! Hope they help!

newrider.com