Keeping Donkeys...help!

much easier than horses and much more rewarding, totally gorgeous and you should give in to temptation.

basically treat as horses. their coats are not waterproof so they need rugging or access to shelters. if not trained and kept in line, they are shetlands.

tend to easily get over weight (I would not post photos of mine at their worst...) but can be controlled.

very affectionate, very bonded as pairs, fal rugs or rhino high neck fit them very well, as they are very narrow at front. some farriers don't like them but I don't like some farriers.

keep on top of their worming as they can live with lungworm more than horses can.

they enjoy people's company are very friendly and great fun. If I had to choose between the horses and donks, it would be donks (apart from Buddy who could be an honorary donkey). ours are out with the horses, there are two herds a donkey one and a horse one, they mingle and tingle to some extent - Tintin will groom Fleurette, Rose, Leo, and Molly when she was still with us, the smaller donkeys don't do horses.

They enjoy rough play, and can do hilarious galloping braying and farting episodes which will reduce you to tears of laughter. All ours are good with farrier, dentist, rugging, worming. do not feed treats as they turn into monsters.

No hesitation, go get them. They just need basic forage diet and really if you have horses there is nothing to know about them other than their temperature is different, foot structure different. Generally will make 20-50 years old, though a lot die in their 20s, but if they get past that they tend to go on forever.

I didnt have Ted for so long, however he was SUCH a character and so noisey! With him I was putting weight on him because of his emaciated state, and his feet were awful - but he was very easy to maintain and bring back from the brink.. a complete delight. I wouldnt hesitate to rescue another one if I was in the position to. He made me smile everyday! and to say he had a mind of his own was an understatement !! :biggrin:

Awwe EML... you know its the right thing to do LOL !!!:biggrin:

total characters !! Ted used to stand at my lounge window ( he could get to it in his paddock) and look for me.. and start braying as soon as he saw me. He got very food orientated ( understandable really he was starved and was now have 4 small meals a day of high fibre cubes and Hi fibre chaff & beet!) it got to the point I had to either crawl under the window to get to my kitchen or close the curtains. Im not sure what the neighbours thought of his early morning braying! but nobody complained as he would have upteen visitors everyday.

The horses next door came down to visit him once and some of the TB's FREAKED OUT at him, I mean they were petrified beyond belief! The rider had to dismount! Its possible they could cause a stir with some of the other horses. They did eventually be able to hack past him safely ish!

He was kept on his own while he was recouperating, wasnt ideal atall but if he hadnt of been rehomed, Id of moved him up to the yard nextdoor anyway where I kept my horse.

Last edited:
ours used to come in the house for breakfast, they lined up at the back door on the way to the field and if the door was open came straight in

I had planned to reply to this this evening when I spotted it earlier. D&T has said everything I would have done. I adore donkeys, have almost always had one or two hanging about the place - though now I would only ever keep more than one as they do bond very much with a companion.

Although thinking about it, Bertie was reared with horses from the moment he was weaned and was Solly's companion for several years before we got another donkey for him - but he still thinks he is a horse and just tolerates little Joseph donkey!:giggle:

Go on EML - they are great fun and you know you want to!:biggrin:

they can easily be gelded at that age - we have done them age 19 but you need to get a vet who is experienced as they are prone to bleeds.

also stallion donkeys are generally not a problem in the way that horse colts are - they tend to be fine.

Most of the French ones we imported were mature colts and had to be done and we only had problems with one of them who bled, the rest were fine. They weren't bad mannered either or hot.

Still apparently negotiating!!

Been told they may be a driving pair!! We were told they were harder to handle than pony stallions and like horses gelding them much after 3yo doesn't help temperament??

Interesting to hear the other side.

this pair of little ladies, who have lived together all their lives, mum is 15 daughter is 7, going for slaughter, in Calvados so north of france.

670 euros.

anyone?

Attachments

• CalinetteandLisette_zps6d7d6d5c.jpg
    CalinetteandLisette_zps6d7d6d5c.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 16
  • CalinetteandLisette1_zps651015d8.jpg
    CalinetteandLisette1_zps651015d8.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 16
  • CalinetteandLisette2_zpsbd3e8dbf.jpg
    CalinetteandLisette2_zpsbd3e8dbf.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 17
I will cross my fingers for you, big win for trewsers:smile:

Are you looking to take on from a charity again T?

Well, I have put feelers out for a charity ned - but will just have to wait and see. Meanwhile, whilst I am carrying on saving bits up here and there whenever I can. I would rather re-home if possible - because it would be nice to help a charity too - plus it would save me the hassle of going looking - I fear heart would very soon rule head...................:redface:

newrider.com