Kids and ponies

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I'm confused, D has had Harry since the end of July, week before last she had brownie camp, then back to school last week, at first she said she was too tired, then wanted to play something at home, then last week there was a big tantrum one evening about coming to feed, and on Saturday she asked me not to ride Jess out with her but walk as she doesn't like it when I ride and today we were going to ride to the pub for a picnic but its closed and now she just wants to lunge as she was only interested in getting to the pub. I wonder if she's loosing interest but she seems to enjoy it when she's there, the last month she's been hacking out off lead in walk and trot and we went on a group ride last weekend which although she was nervous she did well with.

I dont have kids, I have no clue about 7 year old girls. I suggested to mum and dad not to push it and just let her do a bit less for now (they were coming 4 or 5 days a week) and see how it goes, but I'm not sure thats the right call either. Her dad has told her the pony will go back if she doesn't want him, she almost agreed but added "I can still go and see him some times though?" and when told no didn't want him to go.

When I was 7 every single second I could spend anywhere near a pony was valuable, let alone to be able to ride as much as I wanted, i would have killed to have my own pony.

I try to make our rides fun, doing balance exercises when its safe to, doing picnic rides, getting her trotting, having little standing or rising competitions, unfortunately my schooling paddock has been being rested but the horses are starting to go in there to mow it down now so she can go in there soon.

Anything else I can do to make it more fun short of finding another 7yo to do ponies with her?

7yr olds change their minds like the wind !!

In all honesty it sounds like she is losing interest. She's still only very young and this is one of the reasons I'm not getting one for mine. She's interested for a few months then loses interest again for a while. But I was the same as you I wanted to be near a horse at every opportunity, however I didn't have a horse in the family nor was I in the position to see a them frequently.

I think it's because they are so young they can take it for granted a bit, my daughter for instance didn't realise that others didn't have a horse until she was about 5/6 ! She thought they were a normal pet ! :D But why should she know different ? It's normal to her.

D might be the same, in her mind she can see the pony when she wants, has gone through that phase of being up and as far as she can reason she go when she likes. With her Dad saying "Well the pony will have to go." Off course she'll react with "Oh no please don't." That's normal.

I think perhaps a break of a few weeks where she doesn't ride or see pony might refocus the attention to the pony again, but if after 2/3/4 weeks she shows no interest then perhaps the horsey phase has passed.

I have no idea, as at that age I'd have slept there to be near the ponies! Never mind turning up a few days a week, you'd have had to get rid of me.....lol
Seriously tho, I wonder if she's just got a lot on with other hobbies - you've had a word with her dad tho, so not sure what else you can say or do?

Just a thought as well, is she going to a new school this year ? That might be taking up a lot in her mind if she is and she is subconsciously thinking a lot about the new school/new year if she is worried or nervous about it.

Reactions: Gimp and Jessey
Just a thought as well, is she going to a new school this year ? That might be taking up a lot in her mind if she is and she is subconsciously thinking a lot about the new school/new year if she is worried or nervous about it.
Not a new school but a new class, only 2 of her old friends, thats kind of why I just suggested cutting her some slack for a few weeks.

Yup that could do it.

I'd give it a couple of weeks to wait until she is back in the swing of it back at school :)

Reactions: Jessey
My children change their minds about hobbies and interests all the time. I think it is a huge committment for a 7 year old to ride 5 times per week. It is healthy and natural for them to have lots of interests and at that age they get very tired as well. Is it really fair to say she has to ride 5 days a week or not at all? Why can't she have a weekly lesson and build from there? Many adults with their own horses do not ride that much.

I don't think anyone is forcing the little one to ride 5 days a week @Mary Poppins
I'd say she's probably worrying a bit about the new school year and maybe the novelty has worn off a bit too, I'd go with giving her a couple of weeks break and seeing how she is then. :)

She doesn't have to ride 5 times at all, but was choosing to ride 3 out of 4 visits before. Not seeing the pony 1 week to the next isn't something her parents are willing to pay for, they are more than happy if she wants to ride once a week and just come and give him a fuss and tea another day.
I was going to ride alone today then help her lunge after, they arrived as I was getting ready to go and D decided to ride, was okay to start then got prickled on the knee by a bush and had a meltdown and wanted to get off, which she did. I stopped a minute further down and got off and talked to her and she just said it was the prickle but I get the feeling theres more to it, she then happily got on jess for the next half a mile and was chatting away. Then put her back on harry and she was fine, doing aeroplane, toe circles etc through the forest until there was a log to step over, which harry did without breaking stride, then after that she got herself all wound up again but carried on and did the rest of the ride fine. Definitely confidence wobbles but I'm not entirely sure what is causing it, mum is really keyed in and going to try and talk to her about what she's worried about and I told D next time she rides I will lead her on foot on harry if she's happier with that which seemed to brighten her up, i seem to be somewhat of a security blanket so we will go back to that until she's feeling better about it all.
Hopefully once school gets in swing she'll be more chilled and willing.

She's a kid, they change their minds all the time. Mine enjoy riding Roxy but will take it or leave it. I think they try to be interested in horses because I am, but they're not really! I don't think there's any point pushing it (not that I think you are Jessey.) Riding is too expensive - and risky - a hobby to persuade anyone to take up if they're not really keen.

Reactions: Ruskii and Jessey
newrider.com