Laminitis revolution.. programme tonight

I got an email alert about this, I think probably because the Cushings drug company are involved - and they have my email. Sounds like it could be interesting.

Most notable bit in there was when he commented on the yard mentality that made fellow liveries on yards feel they should push owners to go against veterinary advice to get weight off horses, and how to achieve this, because 50% of horses are overweight and this is seen as 'normal'.

Even more telling was the case of the pony whose owner was told to get weight off and she wanted to keep him in 'show' condition despite this. So very sad.

It should be available to watch tomorrow. It focussed on underlying reasons for lami other than the obvious weight and diet ones. I didn't feel I learnt anything thanks to all I've read on this forum but it did cement what I knew.

I wish they would do another regarding weight and horse management though for prevention rather than cure sake.

They didn't even skin the surface with regards to toxic, stress or concussive lami.. think i'm going to have to pick my vets brains..

I went to a vet talk on EMS and Cushings a month or so ago and talked about it on here. This skimmed the surface along the same lines, but the one thing the vet stressed a great deal in the talk I attended, is the need for this natural fluctuation in weight throughout the year to help with the insulin resistance. I don't think it was stressed as much in this programme tonight. Very good though.

I found it a bit disappointing TBH. For me it just gave a very basic overview that I would imagine most of us with horses are already aware off. I was expecting and hoping for some really new and breakthrough type stuff.

To me it was more of a promotional type talk aimed at raising awareness of the use of Pergolide and encouraging blood tests. Which, of course, is a good thing if it saves some animals from a lot of pain and unnecessary suffering. But on the other hand if they give away all these free blood tests, I bet the percentages of pergolide sales go up accordingly?

I would have loved for him to state quite clearly and emphatically that with correct management and preventative care, in a lot of cases, you pony might very well never need Pergolide. But I suppose as someone else said, there is only so much you can cover in one seminar, I would have liked a much longer question and answer section, but then it would probably have gone on all night and all day today!:smile:

I did manage to get an answer to my question about the risk levels of giving a steroid jab to Dolly for sweet itch, it seems that it is in fact a very low risk for a horse like her,as my own vet had assured me. It was worth watching for that bit of reassurance alone for me!

I found it a bit disappointing TBH. For me it just gave a very basic overview that I would imagine most of us with horses are already aware off. I was expecting and hoping for some really new and breakthrough type stuff.

To me it was more of a promotional type talk aimed at raising awareness of the use of Pergolide and encouraging blood tests. Which, of course, is a good thing if it saves some animals from a lot of pain and unnecessary suffering. But on the other hand if they give away all these free blood tests, I bet the percentages of pergolide sales go up accordingly?

I would have loved for him to state quite clearly and emphatically that with correct management and preventative care, in a lot of cases, you pony might very well never need Pergolide. But I suppose as someone else said, there is only so much you can cover in one seminar, I would have liked a much longer question and answer section, but then it would probably have gone on all night and all day today!:smile:

I did manage to get an answer to my question about the risk levels of giving a steroid jab to Dolly for sweet itch, it seems that it is in fact a very low risk for a horse like her,as my own vet had assured me. It was worth watching for that bit of reassurance alone for me!

Exactly.

I do wish they'd do a series covering different factors.

Actually I think it was Wally that recently write something that gave me a lightbulb moment that's blooming obvious, but I hadn't thought of it like that.

She said that lami was a symptom or condition (can't remember exact wording) and not a disease in itself.

Made me shuffle my thoughts to make more sense...to me at least!

Never thought of it from that POV - I've always assumed it to be a disease. So in theory it could be symptom of simply being obese ?

My understanding...

Laminitis is the term used to describe the seperation of the laminae from the hoof wall in the foot - a purely bio mechanical occurrence - almost a "label" so to speak...

However this separation does not occur without cause or reason.

Reasons could be:

- hormonal issue - cushings, metabolic syndrome

- dietary issues - excess sugar, gut imbalance, digestive upset

- toxic related - such as caused by steroids and other meds

- stress related - usually due to a gut upset

Therefore the laminitis (or separation) is a symptom of the above (gut imbalance, hormonal disorder etc) rather than being a disease of its own - there is always something "going on" to cause the separation - it is a consequence if you like.

The only one I am not sure about is concussive laminitis - I have never witnessed it and I can't understand why a "healthy horse" wouldn't cope with trotting on hard surfaces etc. I think the laminae would already have to be weakened by another reason to cause this form of lami but I haven't had any direct experience of it.

I didn't see it but my understanding is if you have a horse your at risk. There are so many variables, just like colic. I went to a vet talk that said its more realistic to say why doesn't my horse get it! The digestive system is flawed their words not mine.
A horse can't be sick-bad design, any toxins have to go through with the consequences. I query what the feed merchants are adding that the horse doesn't need or can't digest.

The cob being so hormonal does go unsound behind, foot sore, it would likely be classed as lgl, the one time of year I watch her weight for excess, she moves slower once a month or so.

I wondered if concussive lami was in part due to comformation, balance, rider etc? I know of a horse suspected of foot pain on uneven ground, but couldn't say lami because I don't actually know.

newrider.com