Let’s talk winter clothing.

Merino wool is the best base layer, I'm always cold and this is the best I have found for keeping me warm without being too bulky. I have M&S merino long johns (top and bottoms) and they're great though possibly the ugliest things ever :D for the not totally freezing days I wear heat holders fleece leggings under my jods, or my fleece lined jods (I think they were from go outdoors or decathlon) :) for the top half I prefer to layer so I can peel it off when I'm doing chores and add back on when riding, my most worn tops are a long sleeve bamboo cotton shirt, it is super light/thin (thinner than a normal T-shit) but very warm and regatta softshell jackets which are thin but warm, light fleece inside but softshell outside so you don't end up looking like a haystack as hay doesn't stick to it :)

Reactions: Native Lover
As you know I'm a cheapskate so I always buy Aldi's ski wear base layers. Last winter I bought two pairs of the Decathlon fleece-lined jods which really kept me toasty, but having lost loads of weight this year I haven't dared try them to see if they're ridiculously big.

I have LOADS of woolly hats... which I'll definitely need this winter, having really short hair these days!!

Reactions: Ruskii
Derby house have fleece lined waterproofs (trousers) for less than £10 and they are actually ok!
Not sure what’s left now size wise but I buy stuff like that for first thing in the morning mucking out!

As you know I'm a cheapskate so I always buy Aldi's ski wear base layers. Last winter I bought two pairs of the Decathlon fleece-lined jods which really kept me toasty, but having lost loads of weight this year I haven't dared try them to see if they're ridiculously big.

I have LOADS of woolly hats... which I'll definitely need this winter, having really short hair these days!!
I won't pay loads for day to day horse wear, I got bamboo shirts from aldi, I think those were out with their ski wear :) and a couple of my merino tops were in the Mountain Warehouse sale for under a tenner :D the long johns were given to me :D

I just wear thermal tops from M&S with a fleece and Aldi ski jacket if it’s really cold and winter jods, don’t remember the make of them though.
I’ve found for me the only way I can keep warm if it’s below 2/3 degrees is foot warmers in my boots, I honestly could not survive winter without them.

I have loads of woollen hats too - my hair is long and annoying in the wind so I tuck it all up. End up looking like a derranged pixie of some variety but who cares!

So we are nearly there...... what’s the best clothing base layers thermals for keeping you snug at the yard and out and about in the saddle..I already naturally look like a Michelin man without having to many layers on so the less is more approach works best for me.... what do you recommend.???

I don't do too many layers because I buy my jackets in a size to fit, not too big (if you know what I mean) so don't have much room under them for tons of layering. I used to do layers at the old house but that's because the temperatures were way lower compared to up here.
However, I do like the lightweight jackets that are really warm - Mr T has one and it's light as a feather but soooooo snug and cosy. I think it's a tog brand or something? He got it off Amazon I think. Trouser / jeans wise, I don't do over pants - I had some but they were just hateful and legged me up, as too long and even turned up they were a pest because the turnups filled with water and went all over the hallway when I came back in :eek:
I know some people like long john type undergarbs - maybe buy some of those and buy jodhs in a bigger size to go over the top?

Ski base layers, from Decathlon or Aldi. I was never keen on Aldi's stuff only as we had no local stores, however one opened up near me and I went in one occasion when they had some kids clothing in.
Christ - I'm never going back to big brands! My daughter had a ski coat there to do one cold winter, 2 years ago and it's STILL going, I was impressed with all the extra pockets too. I've bagged a reversible hi vis gilet for her, again she wore that two year running (should have bought the next size up!) and the quality on that was fab.
This last year I've bought some breeches too which were only £8 and they wash so incredibly well and she's harsh on her clothes (think hole in the knee on jeans within 6 weeks on thick denim!). We've bagged some base layer ski stuff when it was in earlier this year and I've also bought a second hand bundle of clothes in the next size up for her and these have done well, some Aldi stuff in there too!

I have cheap ski long johns from aldi or sports direct I think, for work though rather than the yard - I find office work in an air conditioned office is far colder than being on the yard! For extra warmth on the yard I like thin (and cheap) waterproof trousers as an additional layer to keep me both warm and dry. I prefer a t shirt, fleece and warm coat to lots of layers, because of those darned hot flushes and a need to strip off quickly when it happens.

Love my christmas presdie Pikeur fleece lined waterproof resistant breeches for riding though, what a difference they make.

I have cheap ski long johns from aldi or sports direct I think, for work though rather than the yard - I find office work in an air conditioned office is far colder than being on the yard! For extra warmth on the yard I like thin (and cheap) waterproof trousers as an additional layer to keep me both warm and dry. I prefer a t shirt, fleece and warm coat to lots of layers, because of those darned hot flushes and a need to strip off quickly when it happens.

Love my christmas presdie Pikeur fleece lined waterproof resistant breeches for riding though, what a difference they make.

Ah yes the wonderful (not) hot flushes. Grrrrr. Still, makes winter more doable. I don't dread getting out of my bed in a morning for fear of being cold any more. I am usually half hanging out and trying to get as cold as possible.....................:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bodshi
Ah yes the wonderful (not) hot flushes. Grrrrr. Still, makes winter more doable. I don't dread getting out of my bed in a morning for fear of being cold any more. I am usually half hanging out and trying to get as cold as possible.....................:rolleyes:
I actually find them more bearable in summer when I'm warm anyway. It seems to be the trigger when I'm cold and start to warm up, body just doesn't know when to stop and carries on heating up, which is ridiculous when it's so cold and makes it really difficult to judge what weight of rug Raf needs :mad:

What I wore last year. :D
I layer using 100% cotton.
I have a thicker t shirt or long brushed cotton sleeve top.
*coughs* a vest

I have invested in some jodphurs that are fleece lined and water repellent, you know me and testing things. If my this are cold so is the rest of me.
Trying a long waterproof coat as I simply can't get trousers to fit her. Before the real weather sets in I use hi viz half trousers though.

Now these warm moments. I have done a diet tweak. And I feel cold, as in a normal temperature. September had definately arrived nippy here anyway.

Reactions: Trewsers
I actually find them more bearable in summer when I'm warm anyway. It seems to be the trigger when I'm cold and start to warm up, body just doesn't know when to stop and carries on heating up, which is ridiculous when it's so cold and makes it really difficult to judge what weight of rug Raf needs :mad:

What worries me is how long the darn things are going to last! My friend told me a friend of hers had them for YEARS :eek: I don't think I can cope with another few years....................eeeek. Still mucking out in a thin t shirt in the middle of winter and all that...........................

What I wore last year. :D
I layer using 100% cotton.
I have a thicker t shirt or long brushed cotton sleeve top.
*coughs* a vest

I have invested in some jodphurs that are fleece lined and water repellent, you know me and testing things. If my this are cold so is the rest of me.
Trying a long waterproof coat as I simply can't get trousers to fit her. Before the real weather sets in I use hi viz half trousers though.

Now these warm moments. I have done a diet tweak. And I feel cold, as in a normal temperature. September had definately arrived nippy here anyway.

I had a Shires long coat - didn't get on with it at all. Still sitting in the tack room. I did wear it a bit, but it felt weird - (apart from looking like an extra from that film "I know what you did last summer":oops:) And you can ride in it allegedly but again, I did try but it felt odd. I pretended one day I was some kind of soldier from days gone by with a fancy rug spread out onto Storm's back as we rode. Hahahahaaa,it must not have been windy or she'd have objected muchly!!!

• Haha
What worries me is how long the darn things are going to last! My friend told me a friend of hers had them for YEARS :eek: I don't think I can cope with another few years....................eeeek. Still mucking out in a thin t shirt in the middle of winter and all that...........................
Someone told me 10 years and when I mentioned it to the gynaecologist he didn't disagree. Easy for HIM to say. I've officially now been through the menopause and even had my ovaries removed (unrelated) but still getting those darn hot flushes, although not as bad as they once were. Men have it so easy lol.

Reactions: Cortrasna
I had a Shires long coat - didn't get on with it at all. Still sitting in the tack room. I did wear it a bit, but it felt weird - (apart from looking like an extra from that film "I know what you did last summer":oops:) And you can ride in it allegedly but again, I did try but it felt odd. I pretended one day I was some kind of soldier from days gone by with a fancy rug spread out onto Storm's back as we rode. Hahahahaaa,it must not have been windy or she'd have objected muchly!!!
I think I can get away with wearing anything here to be fair.
But it's the wind that I have concerns over. I guess it depends how much madam has grown up.

Reactions: Trewsers
Someone told me 10 years and when I mentioned it to the gynaecologist he didn't disagree. Easy for HIM to say. I've officially now been through the menopause and even had my ovaries removed (unrelated) but still getting those darn hot flushes, although not as bad as they once were. Men have it so easy lol.
The problem is our whole body has hormones, not just the area we relate them to.
So if we look at ourselves as a whole, we might stand more chance dealing with it.
My understanding is the ten years is the peri and meno combined, so you need to be a year free of the cycle before they say you have started the menopause. Before that your body just can't decide whether to party or not at your expense. :D

And what I just said is right, because it just is! ;):p

• Haha
Reactions: Bodshi and Trewsers

Oh blimey fancy you still getting the hot flushes!!!! Even after having ovaries removed. My mum had the full monty taken out years ago and still had the flushes. Grrrrr.

newrider.com