Let's talk about ghosts!

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
No, I am not trying to spark off a heated debate about the existence of spirits - although I do always enjoy those. I work for Chat it's fate magazine and am just putting together the letters page for March, and we have none! Well, none that are actually printable! So I am just trying to recruit some, really. If you've seen a ghost, angel or other spooky being, or had a profound or bizarre experience (that is publishable!) and would like to earn a small fee (£10 for every letter published, £50 for our star letter) then just tell me on here and I will turn it into something for the mag and send you a cheque. Please help me! Not that I am desperate or anything. (OK I am a bit!)

Oh I could tell you loads of spooky stuff about my Mums house, it's not an old house but she has something going on that isn't easy to explain.
I can also remember an old house I used to work at, was converted into luxury apartments, one of the apartments was my office and there were 5 other apartments in the house, you had to press in a code to open the main door into the lobby and then walk up the stairs, the door to the office was on the right and obviously locked, once inside you had to disarm the alarm and there was another flight of stairs to the main hall with rooms off, it was a beautiful old building and the rooms were all very elegant, huge, light and airy, anyhow one particular day I arrived as usual to open up, at this point there was no one living in any of the other apartments, let myself in through the main entrance and on up to the office door, well I opened the door, turned to do the alarm and saw at the top of the stairs as clear as day a figure out of the corner of my eye, I'm not given to flights of fancy but I can tell you now I nearly pooped my pants! I knew no one was about and I knew the door was locked as I'd locked it when I left the night before and had just unlocked it to get in again and the alarm was still on when I walked in, I stood petrified and I heard whatever/whoever it was walk across the wooden floor above me and let myself back out the door PDQ, I re locked the door and called the site manager as was convinced we had a burglar, although it did seem odd tha the alarm hadn't gone off? Anyhow he came over to me (was working on another part of site on some completely new build apartments) told me I was a daft idiot and came back in with me, we searched high and low and came up with nothing, no windows undone, no doors left open, no one hiding under the sofa lol nothing at all disturbed.
I can tell you now I hated working in that office after that, just freaked me out and I never felt comfortable after that. I'm sure it must have been a trick of the light but never the less light can't make you hear things, I don't actually believe in ghosts as such but am sure something was playing games that day and yes this was way before my bang on the head :p

I will waffle....

When I was about ten I used to stay over at my nans house every other weekend. A few Saturday nights on the way up the stairs to bed I used to feel like someone was behind me. At first I didn't say anything and my bedroom at her house was nice and bright -quite normal so it didn't keep me awake as such.
But then a few weekends later I sensed "it" again and could smell pipe tobacco. I told my nan as I was wondering where it could be coming from, my nan certainly didn't smoke a pipe!lol When I told her she wasn't a bit surprised. She said it would be old Mr Gregson - the occupant before the ones before her. Turns out she knew who it was, as the previous occupants were relatives of my nan and obviously had been in close contact and had talked about this Mr Gregson. Apparently, they too had had to get used to the pipe smell and the sensing of his presence. Funnily enough it didn't really bother me. Maybe because my nan was not scared either? In the end I just stopped thinking about it and even though I didn't feel entirely alone going up those stairs it just didn't feel bad at all.

Well you did ask.....

Mr T's father died when we were all about 20 / 21ish and I used to spend quite a lot of time at his house. Mr T and his sister worked in the same town and he used to give her a lift home from work. One winter evening not long after their Dad had died, OH couldn't give his sister a lift home and she came home with someone else from work who dropped her off. Weird thing is, she swears she saw the kitchen light on so though someone was already home and didn't bother looking for her keys in her bag. When she tried to open the door it was locked, so she proceeded to root about for her keys. Then the hall light came on! She then thought for sure someone was home, but no, she had to unlock the door. Put the keys in and the hall light went off and the kitchen one was on. Very very odd. Being as nobody had been home all that day. At the time when it happened we all liked to think it was her Dad just lighting the way and letting her know he was watching. I guess we were all very open to auto suggestion being as he hadn't been dead very long. I mean, lights left on in a house are no proof of afterlife, but, given that none of us was home, we all swore to not leaving any lightson that morning - plus why did the light in the hallway come on after she had got out of her friends car? Not like they pulled up and the light was on from the start........

Reactions: squidsin
I have smelled a ghost and sensed one twice. Do you want me to pm you or just write it out on here?

I love them all Trews! Actually I love little more than hearing about people's ghost experiences, so at least I am definitely in the right job!

Ive had a few odd experiances. When I was about 13 my mate stayed over and we were in tge room at the end of the landing watching tv in bed. We heard running up tge stairs, along the landing and crashed into the door. We didnt think too much of it as my sister was 4 and thought she was being silly although it was late. When I asked mum in the morning she said my sister had been in bed between her and my step dad all night. A few other odd things happened around that time and mum mentioned it to our builder at the time, his son had died in an awful accident a year or so earlier and odd things had happened at every house he worked on since then. It all stopped after the building work was finished.

Last year when bo was really bad with his hock, it had been going on for about 3 weeks but I was still feeling positive. Wednesday afternoon driving from work to the yard I had the feeling of a warm presence in the car next to me, I've felt this before and it suddenly hit me that someone who loves me was there, right then I knew he wasnt going to make it, he was PTS because of colic the next morning.
A few months later my mum went to a clavoint, shes not horsey at all and I hadnt told anyone about my odd experience. The woman came right out and said my mums MIL told her shes with the horse and he's okay, no leading question, just came right out with it and there is no way she could have known about bo.

I do not believe in ghosts and I think the spirit world is a lot of nonsense. BUT....., and I have told this story on here before.

A long time ago, back in the early 80s I was house sitting for my parents while they were away on business. I was sleeping in their room and was woken up at around 3am by my Dad's best friend sat on the end of the bed, just watching me with his hands folded in his lap. I looked at him, he just looked back.

For some reason my immediate thoughts were, "oh He must have died" I Sat there looking at him for a while, turned over and went back to sleep, (like you do)
Anyway, in the morning the first thought in my head was that my dad's friend had died, Told myself off sternly for thinking such nonsense and went to work.

Later that afternoon I had a phone call at work from my parents telling me that they were home and my house sitting services were no longer required. Then my mother asked me if Mrs "Smith" (not her real name) had been in touch to which I answered no, she had not. Then my mother went on to tell me that my dad'd best friend had in fact died in the night. I put the phone down and my work colleague said I looked as though I had seen a ghost and I said I had, only it was 12 hours ago and I just found out.

Now, here comes the spooky bit. When I told my parents of the incident, my mother told me off for being silly and my dad laughed it off until I told him what he was wearing. He had been wearing a silk 1920s style Smoking jacket and pill box hat with gold embroidery and a burgundy tassel in the middle of it. My father called my mother back and told me to describe his clothes to her. She went very quiet and left the room.

Turns out, WAY, WAY back my mother had made a hat exactly as I had seen and described as a joke for him one Christmas to go with a particularly snazzy chineese silk dressing gown he had bought while working out in the far East, She made it before I was born out of old antique braid she had been given when my Gt Aunt died.

What I saw I will never know. Whatever it was it wasn't scary at the time.

I am generally not bothered about ghosts (although I do believe in them) which is just as well as I am usually pottering around the yard in the pitch black. But the other day the YO told me in great detail about the Victorian child ghosts who haunt our yard, which I thought would make an interesting story for the mag, but there's just something about child ghosts, I was absolutely pooing my pants that evening!

Reactions: Trewsers
I've had a few instances like yours Wally, I don't see them, but suddenly have this very strong feeling come over me, it's odd but not threatening. 3 times I've later found out someone had died.

Reactions: Trewsers
I have to say I find this sort of stuff fascinating, and I can't possibly say I don't believe in any of it, as I have had far more inexplicably strange incidents in my life than is credible really!:oops: But we Irish are renowned for having the second sight and are extremely superstitious despite any strong footholds in the Catholic church, who frown very much on this sort of belief! But they expect you to believe that Jesus was killed, rose from the dead and that his mother never had intercourse with a man but she carried him in her womb and gave birth to him. double standards or what!:D

Anyway I digress - here is one of mine. Many years ago when OH and had only been married about three weeks we lived in a lovely old cottage in a very remote area in the middle of one of the 'shires'. We had actually spent every weekend in the cottage for a good few months before our marriage, and my Dad often came out for the weekend as he loved the solitude and our dogs and horses, and always said it reminded him of Ireland, the land of his and our birth and that he missed very much.

On this particular morning my OH had left early for work as usual, about 40 miles away, he worked with my father and had got in the habit of picking him up for work on the way through. Just ten minutes before I left to walk into the village to catch the bus into work my OH telephoned me, to say he had been given an unexpected day off work and not to get the bus, he would be back within the next twenty minutes or so to give me a lift to work.

I was slightly puzzled as this had never happened before (the unexpected day off) but initially delighted as it was a horribly long journey into town on the bus, with many detours etc. etc. so I made a fresh pot of tea and sat in the kitchen to wait for him., hoping he wouldn't make me late for work. As I sat there I noticed through the doorway one of our labs whimpering in the hallway, with hackles slightly raised and staring up the stairs. The other two were in the kitchen with me, but as I got up to go and see what she was mithering about, quite worried she might be ill, they followed me and also started to walk about in the hallway restlessly and obviously not happy at all.

Whilst this was happening I became more and more aware of a definite aroma of Condor Twist tobacco - the closer I got to the bottom of the stairs the stronger it became. I can't really think what made me do it, but I felt I had to go up the stairs and follow the familiar smell of the pipe tobacco, as I had subconsciously guessed it led directly to the spare bedroom. I opened the door and noticed that just one of my dogs had slunk up the stairs with me, plastered to my leg and still with hackles raised, although now silent.

Everything was as it should be in the room, but the smell of the condor pipe tobacco overwhelmed me. I sat on the bed, of course the bed my father always used when he stayed with me and I wept and wept. I knew without any doubt whatsoever that my Dad was dead, and that was why my OH had telephoned to ask me to wait there for him and not go into work on the bus.

I was vaguely aware of my lab nuzzling my hand and whimpering again. I left the room and went downstairs and sat on the chair in the corner of the hallway, all three dogs were now settled, and just sat quietly by my side. Within about 20 minutes my OH arrived back, walked through the door and I just said 'He's gone hasn't he?' He just nodded and walked over and took me in his arms.

My father had never had a days illness in all the days I can remenber, he died suddenly and without any warning. Much later when I told my mother about this she just smiled, and said 'He would have come to tell you, it was the happiest he had ever felt at your cottage, since we left Ireland all those years ago.'

I never again smelt his pipe tobacco in the cottage. But very rarely, over the many intervening years, I get a slight sense of that almost vanilla smell of his chosen tobacco, it just gently wafts pass me for a nano second, and tis always when I am struggling and life is difficult. I like to feel he is still there at my side, just occasionally at some of the more difficult times in my life.:)

If My father comes back and brings his filthy pipe with him, I shall have him exorcised without hesitation, He can stay but that filthy pipe does not come in, Vile thing. Weaver Ready Rubbed, gee it was filthy stuff.My father even had a pipe notch in his teeth like the corpses they dig up on Time Team.

If My father comes back and brings his filthy pipe with him, I shall have him exorcised without hesitation, He can stay but that filthy pipe does not come in, Vile thing. Weaver Ready Rubbed, gee it was filthy stuff.My father even had a pipe notch in his teeth like the corpses they dig up on Time Team.

:D I love the smell of pipe tobacco - always have and always will, but can;t say I am familiar with Weaver Ready Rub!

:D I love the smell of pipe tobacco - always have and always will, but can;t say I am familiar with Weaver Ready Rub!
I like the smell of "normal" pipe tobacco, goodness knows where he got the taste for that muck from, It came in a round tin, Ready Rubbed had a grey/silver lid with red writing on it, and the flake was a red lid with gold writing on it, occasionally he'd have Gold Block, which was marginally better, but the Weaver stuff was vile.

Reactions: Cortrasna
newrider.com