Lightweight yard boots SORTED THANK YOU!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I'm looking for a pair of boots which I can wear in the summer for mornings that look like this:

Get up, walk dogs
Feed chickens
Head over to field, feed horses, poo pick
Take Sid (if it is Sid and not some other horse) for a walk and/or later on maybe a hack

A lot of walking and some horse chores, so I need a comfortable, waterproof, lightweight boot.

Any suggestions for my feetsies?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Dublin Pinnacle. Saved my poor feet too when I had plantar fasciitis for two years! They were definitely instrumental in helping it go. I do a lot of yard chores and taking Storm for walks yet I feel great riding in them too (whenever that actually happens lol).
I find the newer model is also as comfortable but you can buy them for quite a good price on ebay - some sellers discount the Pinnacle I version.
Here's a link;

https://www.dublinclothing.co.uk/dublin-pinnacle-grain-boots-ii

I have the above version plus the redskin colour too.

I also have five pairs of the nubuck version - these have a slightly wider footbed and you can wear thicker socks in winter. It's also worth buying a decent nubuck cleaner too - I bought a spray on Cherry brand one.

Screenshot (72).png

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Would they fit big calves @Trewsers? I have to say I was thinking of short boots but these might work...
Yes they are very adaptable. The lacing on the sides can be adjusted but they are a very generous fit to begin with. I used to buy short and wide in Mountain Horse but I just buy the regular fit on these. They aren't clumpy either lol

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Unless you need some immediately I'd wait and try on some walking boots once the shops open. Footwear needs to be tried on, we spend too much time in it for it to be not quite right. If they have a suitable heel and not too heavy a tread they will be ok to ride in, or better still change boots before you ride.

Reactions: Skib

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Hiking/walking boots my regattas are on their 5th year as summer boots and my decathlon ones are still going strong in their second winter. The regattas lasted three winters and now I use them as summer riding boots 😃

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I'm a broken record - muck boot co. boots, they do mid calf as well as long. I've just bought a2nd hand pair off eBay, to save my black ones. I walk for miles in them and I have terrible foot problems. They're very light and soft. Lovely colours too!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Unless you need some immediately I'd wait and try on some walking boots once the shops open. Footwear needs to be tried on, we spend too much time in it for it to be not quite right. If they have a suitable heel and not too heavy a tread they will be ok to ride in, or better still change boots before you ride.
You must be right there @carthorse
Hiking/walking boots my regattas are on their 5th year as summer boots and my decathlon ones are still going strong in their second winter. The regattas lasted three winters and now I use them as summer riding boots 😃
Decathlons! I had forgotten about them, there's one in Guildford. I can wait...
I'm a broken record - muck boot co. boots, they do mid calf as well as long. I've just bought a2nd hand pair off eBay, to save my black ones. I walk for miles in them and I have terrible foot problems. They're very light and soft. Lovely colours too!
I'll have a look at the short ones. Colours eh? mmm!

Reactions: Huggy

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I love my ariat telluride for comfort, but they’re pricey and my most recent pair are only about 2 years old and are starting to come away at the sides and they’ve only been used in summer. I quite like relatively cheap hiking shoes for summer wear, they’re light, grippy and comfortable.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Another vote for Tellurides. I bit the bullet and got some last year and honestly they were so comfortable from the minute I put them on. I practically lived in mine all year until I had to swap to wellies for the mud. I walk 4-5 miles with the dog every day over some quite rough and stony tracks in places and even wore them to walk from the car to work on office days - it's over a mile so I need something comfy. This is their second season so only time will tell if they last, but I decided that they're too comfy to waste and if I do wear them out I'll just bite the bullet and get some more.

ETA I had to go a whole size smaller, so wouldn't want to buy without trying on first

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I love my ariat telluride for comfort, but they’re pricey and my most recent pair are only about 2 years old and are starting to come away at the sides and they’ve only been used in summer. I quite like relatively cheap hiking shoes for summer wear, they’re light, grippy and comfortable.

Another vote for Tellurides. I bit the bullet and got some last year and honestly they were so comfortable from the minute I put them on. I practically lived in mine all year until I had to swap to wellies for the mud. I walk 4-5 miles with the dog every day over some quite rough and stony tracks in places and even wore them to walk from the car to work on office days - it's over a mile so I need something comfy. This is their second season so only time will tell if they last, but I decided that they're too comfy to waste and if I do wear them out I'll just bite the bullet and get some more.

ETA I had to go a whole size smaller, so wouldn't want to buy without trying on first
Thanks for the vote for Tellurides. Do you know, I think I might have a pair I bought on sale a few years ago? God knows where I have put them. I'll go and hunt them out now. Did I give them away? Hell's teeth, I can't remember!

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey and Bodshi