Livery costs and options

Our YO grows most of our hay so that probably saves some money, he sometimes has to buy some in if we run out before the next lot of hay is ready.

Reactions: Mrs_T
Take a little wander across the Channel, and you can get all-inclusive full livery on a professional yard for 300-350 euros a month (approx. £225-260). That's all-inclusive including exercise. Mad difference innit!

Take a little wander across the Channel, and you can get all-inclusive full livery on a professional yard for 300-350 euros a month (approx. £225-260). That's all-inclusive including exercise. Mad difference innit!
I would love to live in France! Hmmmm.....The schools are better out there, too, I believe.

I am surprised people are buying or having to use livery hay which is small bales.
Its more cost effective to buy round or long bales. We get in long bales usually twenty delivered with the same of straw.
When I rented a field I had round bales covered with tarp, wood, bricks and battled with it twice a day!

My friend puzzles over being charged for hay at all if there is no turnout. Her view is I pay for grazing and a stable. If there is no grazing, why charge me extra for hay, that's effectively dried grass. :) One yard has no winter turnout if wet so that's pretty much from Oct to March.
How do horses actually cope with this?

We have some friends that live at Church Hougham amd visit them sometimes.

What I pay the YO is the diy cost so that would be £43 pw and includes hay, straw, grazing, horsewalker, and a large outdoor school.

I'm just around the corner from church hougham...a village called Capel :)

And new forest, I think you have a point ..no winter turnout if wet- hope those months are discounted!

I'm just around the corner from church hougham...a village called Capel :)

And new forest, I think you have a point ..no winter turnout if wet- hope those months are discounted!

We came trough Capel on our way to Dover last week, had to make a detour because of all the lorries blocking everywhere. Did all that hoo-hah affect you very much?

Here in the midlands I pay £30 per week DIY, that includes stable, paddocks, tack room, feed room and storage, plus outdoor flood lit school. Last yard was £35 pw for the same and first yard with tiny indoor school was £20 pw.
Hay is £3 for a small bale and £25 for a large oblong one.
No idea on any other type of livery as never looked into it.

Reactions: Mrs_T
I am surprised people are buying or having to use livery hay which is small bales.
Its more cost effective to buy round or long bales. We get in long bales usually twenty delivered with the same of straw.
When I rented a field I had round bales covered with tarp, wood, bricks and battled with it twice a day!

My friend puzzles over being charged for hay at all if there is no turnout. Her view is I pay for grazing and a stable. If there is no grazing, why charge me extra for hay, that's effectively dried grass. :) One yard has no winter turnout if wet so that's pretty much from Oct to March.
How do horses actually cope with this?

Our first yard had no winter turnout from October to May. Even J went a bit bonkers! You had to ride or do in hand walks daily - and you were allowed to turn out in the school for twenty minutes. Though that was hard as 60 people don't always form a queue!! It was the main reason we left.

We came trough Capel on our way to Dover last week, had to make a detour because of all the lorries blocking everywhere. Did all that hoo-hah affect you very much?

No, luckily not too much, we just went on the small roads instead. My husband got stuck in traffic once for about half an hour, but that was it!

newrider.com