Livery in the hands of fate now...

dragonfarmgirl

Oct 26, 2008
cheshire/shropshire
I have been in a bit of a quandary about whether to move yards or not.
I love my current yard. The facilities are fantastic, it is run beautifully with no bitching or bullying allowed, My horses are really well cared for when I am working away and I have some lovely friends.
Last year was great as I had 1 stable, my 2 mares out 24/7 in a field with 1 other and my baby arab in a herd with other yearlings( no access on daily basis but happy for her just to grow and be a baby).
This year I have been told the field is no longer available, that my mares have to go into a big herd of 11 others which means, for safety, I have to ask for someone to accompany me to bring 1 in, plus I think there are fewer injurys in small stable herds. Everyone else's horses are in 2's or 3's so they can bring them in on their own. Also been told my almost 2 yr old can't come into a more accessible field as she would probably escape through the electric fence.
This leaves me with 2 horses with difficult access and 1 I can only look at over the fence which is not what I am working so hard for.
I looked around and found another yard which is much much smaller with just 7 stables, simple basic facilities but everything purpose built, post and rail fences, and my girls could be in a little herd on their own, out 24/7 with use of 1 stable (but waiting for someone else to sell their horse so I get the stable so can't move just yet). I had a good feeling about the yard and the owner is really lovely, experienced and easy going. There is a menage which I can loose school in (not allowed at current yard) and they don't object to NH.
I have been going crazy trying to decide what is best to do.

Love current yard but can't access horses easily
Facilities great, staff great, price good, lovely friends (only social life I have).
(facilities include huge indoor, 3 all weather floodlit menages, round pen, all weather gallop, x country course, 5 mile farm ride, warm water wash bays, tea room, toilets).
But, sometimes feel a little intimidated doing NH as I'm the only so sometimes put off working the horses.

New yard beautiful stables, very safe fencing, nice fields, easy access to horses in calm stable little herd.
Menage ideal for NH.
No other facilities, electric by generator, portaloo (electric and loo supposed to be being installed next yr)
Nice people but would have to make friends again.
Feel I could be happy there.

With so many pros and cons I have been mentally see-sawing like crazy and was going to post for opinions on what I should do but it seemed so trivial when so many people are struggling with illness, injury and losing their horses.
I finally thought the only thing I can do is put everything down in an email to the owner of my current yard, be straight with him, offer to pay for extra posts and tape and gravel for a field gateway (one of the reasons against me having a field) explain how much I love the yard and throw myself at the mercy of him (and the fates) so i have written it and just pressed send.
All i can do now is wait to see what he says.
No real reason for posting other than to share my confusion and stress, and to give Cortrasna something to read whilst she is on box rest :biggrin:
xxx

Personally i would go with the 2nd one because i like simplicity. Yes you have a lot of luxury on your current yard but also a lot of restrictions which hinders your relationship with your horses.

x

Agree with Innocence - unfortunately great facilities are worthless if you can't access your own horses or bring them in to use them!

Also, with having a youngster, you may find that as you get to the stage of wanting to do a bit more you'll struggle without being able to loose school. I know I would have done as found it invaluable to teach the voice aids.

Thanks dragonfarmgirl - another thread to haunt whilst I'm grounded!:biggrin:

I would be inclinded to go with the 2nd option - I have very little experience of livery yards, but have found the bigger, got everything type arent simplistic enough for me and my style of horse keeping.

Also, although I am not a NH'er myself,(well I suppose in someways I probably am but just dont call it that!:giggle:) if that was how I chose to keep and care for my horses I would not be happy somewhere that made me feel uncomfortable doing things my way?

Shame about moving away from friends though. Friends are very important IMO. But on the other hand, strangers are only people we havent met yet aren't they?

Perhaps YO's response to your email will help determine where you would rather be?:unsure:

In my experience it's the people who are more likely to be troublesome rather than the horses.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to stay and see how it goes with the bigger herd as it might not be as bad as it seems.

Thanks for the replies.
I do feel quite drawn to the simplicity of the 2nd yard and could see myself playing happily with my girls both in the arena and the field which is at the end of a little track so not really overlooked, or just hanging out in the field with them. The arena is in the process of having lights put up (from the generator) but, to be honest, when I'm home I prefer to go to the yard all day and snuggle up in front of the fire with the cats in the evening :)
Quite happy using a portaloo for a quick pee and it is 15 mins drive from my house so can nip home if necessary :redface:
No kettle but can take a flask for coffee, but not much good for any washing during the cold months :-(
The social aspect of my current yard is quite important to me as when I split with my ex I lost all my friends and am now just working and playing with my horses so don't meet anyone else but I do get your point, Cortrasna, about friends being strangers we just haven't met yet (note to self - must not be such a big, shy chicken !!!)
I have, today, just found a tiny yard, 10 mins walk down a little lane from current yard that has an arena I can hire and do liberty and loose schooling so will call and find out rates etc. Maybe she would do grass livery ? I know she only has a few stables and all are full now but I will ask if I could go on a waiting list ?
Joyscarer, I could try the larger herd but it is the inconvenience of having to ask someone to give up 20 mins to come and help me bring in my horse, and do the same for turning out, then do it all again with next horse. It would also mean another year without any access to my baby arab and I worked so hard to get a goo, strong bond with her when she was weaned that I hate seeing her getting wilder and wilder (and cheekier and cheekier). I would def like to remind her of her manners before she gets too much bigger !
This is what I mean when I say I don't know which way to turn, hence the email to my current yard owner. He might say that they def can't help me so decision will be made for me and I can quit worrying :smile:
Of course, I do have a third option that is playing round my mind. My cottage is only rented and I have no ties to the area I'm in so technically I could just post on here, get you all to find me the perfect yard (within 2 hrs drive in any direction from my aged parents in Doncaster), find another little place to rent and move. I like adventures :biggrin:
Even if I get sorted with one of these 2 yards now, that will probably be something I will do in the next year or 2, when I have paid off some more bills :biggrin:
Thanks for listening (is this long enough for you, Cortrasna ? :giggle:)

newrider.com