Livery yard from hell?

OneHoofBeat

Jan 24, 2017
Just before xmas, I moved yard with my three ponies. One was a stallion at the time but he has since been gelding.
But it's not a "livery yard" it's just some stables, with a school and a few fields in someone back garden. Which I respect that. It's the owner garden.

But ever since I moved on, she has been picking at me for everything I do! I'm 19, and she's a lot older than me, Late 40's ish, So I don't want to outright tell her to leave me alone because I don't want to come across as disrespectful to her!

Anyway, one of my horses has confo problems on the back end, he has had scans, x rays, test, injections, you name it. he's had it. And he's come back as sound and safe to ride. And she keeps telling me to get a 3k vet out to check his legs! Even after I told her. It's all already been done! But because it's not a vet she uses, she thinks they don't know what there doing!

My other pony has a heart murmur and since moving it has gotten worse, so I have to watch him for stress and signs of his heart struggling, per advice from my vet. And she banned me form going near him! She had put him out in his medium weight stable rug while it's was suppose to be 12 out! Without my permission, when I went to swap his rug over for his fly rug and fly spray she told me to stay away from him. I had to call my dad to come down to swap his rug over. He's allergic to flies and when he gets bitten it's just hell.

My third pony recently had a very bad time with colic, and he's just got back from the vet clinic, Which a two-four week recovery plan. And she won't let me hand graze him anywhere. She doesn't want him loose in the school to keep his gut moving because he's too young to lunge right now. He also got ulcers during in the colic and she automatically pointed the finger at my haylage being the cause of it all! Even though my vet said it has nothing to do with what I feed him.

I also do her horse, on full livery, 7 days a week, Which doesn't bother me. It's just recently she's getting very picky, I normally go down in the morning, do a full muck out, throw 90% of the bedding up and leave about 4 inches of bedding on the floor, stables are matted. And then I come back around 1-2pm, clean her bed again and put it down properly, but she's told me she doesn't like her horse stood on matting and wants it on full muck twice a day. I also fill five nets a day, water, rug changes, turnout/bring in, hold for dentist/vet, stay late when farrier comes, make up 4 feeds, and sort all her food into feed bins when they come, all for £34 a week, And she says it's going rate for my age!

Today, I asked her a simple question, could I swap one of my horses bedding to something else other than shavings and her reply was "You either keep shavings or get off, I told your dad he couldn't afford three ponies". Even though no one mentioned money, I just wanted to try a new bedding to see if it worked out better for my cob! I can't move off till I'm driving and that won't be till another 12 weeks and I don't know how to tell her to, you know, mind her own business without sounding disrespectful. I don't even want to be down there anymore, because she's making it like hell.

How do I tell her to stop?

If you are moving on once you've passed your driving test and if that is imminent then I'd probably just keep my head down and get on with it. It doesn't sound like a happy situation at all, and you'll probably find moving elsewhere better all round. Are your family horsey? What does your dad think about it all?
Is there no way you can move somewhere sooner?

Reactions: carthorse
You are legally entitled to £5.90 an hour. If she isn't paying you that, shop her to HMRC. What you've described is my typical experience of being on a livery yard. Is there anywhere else you could move to near by? Even just a field? I think anything would be better than what you sound to be a experiencing.

If you are moving on once you've passed your driving test and if that is imminent then I'd probably just keep my head down and get on with it. It doesn't sound like a happy situation at all, and you'll probably find moving elsewhere better all round. Are your family horsey? What does your dad think about it all?
Is there no way you can move somewhere sooner?

My parents aren't horsey. He's annoyed with the owner as much as I am. but doesn't want to cause too much conflict since I'm there a lot more than he is.
Sadly we can't move yet as travelling would be too much since I'm currently going up twice a day, which would be a lot for my dad to drop me off, come back, four times. Whereas when I'm driving I can keep the car.

It might still be worth looking at local yards ready for when you pass your test. If you came across one that you could trust to maybe turn out in the morning then could you cut down to one visit a day & move sooner?

It might still be worth looking at local yards ready for when you pass your test. If you came across one that you could trust to maybe turn out in the morning then could you cut down to one visit a day & move sooner?

I have my name down for a few stables, I am looking for someone to turnout at least mon-fri. Weekend I could do myself. It's just hard finding a stable that will take all three there and then as most round here have a 2 horse per family limit.

Sounds grim! Like others have said it’s probably good to look round at others put your name down on lists and then move as soon as you have passed your test. I feel for you!

newrider.com