Livery Yard Routines

DaisyAM

May 26, 2016
So as some of you know I moved yards last Saturday and I like it so far. The only difficulty is that my horse is the only one on full livery, the rest are on part or DIY so the horses are going out and coming in at different times. My horse has been used to going out and coming in with the rest of the herd at the same time for the past 5 years and this new routine isn't suiting her. I turned her out this morning and she nearly tore off to get to the others (the YO has been doing it for me as part of the full livery). I'm going to talk to the YO about it tonight but can't see an easy answer - either my horse is going to have to get used to watching the others go out without her or I'm going to have to turn out when I know the others do, however YO says that the time the others turn out varies so can't see that working either. Anyone else had a similar issue?

So, she doesn't like being left on the yard when all the others have gone? This might be me being thick but if you are on livery why can't she be turned out with everyone else at the same time? Surely there is someone who would be turning out at the same time? How many in her herd? Could you ask one of the other liveries what time they turn in and out daily and then ask YO to ensure she does yours at the same times?? Whenever I've been on a livery yard they seemed to make sure nobody either got left behind on the yard or left in the field - and it was a mixed bag in that some were full livery and others diy. Maybe if you get to know the other owners that she shares her field with you could come up with something that works - maybe ask if they would consider waiting to turnout until YO can put yours out too??

No, you're not being thick! The yard is quite small, only three other liveries who are DIY and another who has mare and foal but they are in a separate field. The other three DIY-ers all do their horses at different times apparently. The YO has a problem walking distances at the moment so her partner is turning out but I'll speak to her tonight about turning out earlier. There is one other horse that is stabled all the time from what I can make out but its not appeasing my horse as she wants to be out with the others. Ideally I don't want to have to ask another livery to turn out my horse, if it comes to it I'll find out if there is an 'average' time, go and do it myself and pay slightly less ;)

Reactions: Trewsers
No, you're not being thick! The yard is quite small, only three other liveries who are DIY and another who has mare and foal but they are in a separate field. The other three DIY-ers all do their horses at different times apparently. The YO has a problem walking distances at the moment so her partner is turning out but I'll speak to her tonight about turning out earlier. There is one other horse that is stabled all the time from what I can make out but its not appeasing my horse as she wants to be out with the others. Ideally I don't want to have to ask another livery to turn out my horse, if it comes to it I'll find out if there is an 'average' time, go and do it myself and pay slightly less ;)

Ah right, now I know what you mean. I know, I wouldn't like asking another livery really, it isn't ideal. Do hope you get sorted though, it's difficult when they are so keen to tank off to their friends!

Thanks - ideally I like to ride first thing at weekend but there was no way I would have attempted it this morning, she was on a mission and I would have been royally bucked of the mood she was in...............

We are all different here. Sometimes we see each other sometimes we don't.

How many are you out with? if they work they might have a rough time in the morning. You can ask yours to be turned out then as you are a full livery-I assume that's what you pay for.

I'm on diy and we all turn up at different times. The only horses who mither are the ones that always go with their pals at the same time every day and don't like a change in routine. This is why I won't pal up with anyone, means mine wait for me not other horses. You have only recently moved? Do you think she may settle down and get used to her " time for turnout" although I can see why you would like her going out at the same time it's not natural for them to be left alone and it's not nice or easy to handle when they stress.

I would think she'd continue to settle. I'd check what time she's going out and ask for it to be earlier than the others if there isn't a set time the others go out, most seem to be better leaving the herd more than being left by them

Reactions: DaisyAM
Belle lives out so it doesn't matter to her, but all our liveries come and go at different times and they usually do get used to it, maybe give it a little bit more time for her to settle.

I'm on diy and we all turn up at different times. The only horses who mither are the ones that always go with their pals at the same time every day and don't like a change in routine. This is why I won't pal up with anyone, means mine wait for me not other horses. You have only recently moved? Do you think she may settle down and get used to her " time for turnout" although I can see why you would like her going out at the same time it's not natural for them to be left alone and it's not nice or easy to handle when they stress.
Yes it has only been a week so I'm probably expecting too much too soon. I had a chat with the YO last night about it and have decided to leave it a few more weeks as it is to see if she settles. There is a horse a few stalls away that doesn't go out much and she can see him but it doesn't seem to be appeasing her yet.

You have just moved so everything is strange to her right now.
My tb was more of a stress head but what actually helped was not trying to keep her with company and feeding her problem if you follow.

I have this with mine as the other mares in the field are all owned by just two liveries so they turn out and bring in all their own horses at the same time. Angel is an only pony! But she's generally OK with it now. Generally, if she's stressing, the other liveries take pity on her and bring her in too. I always have her stable ready with hay and water just in case. They do get used to being managed on their own. Angel was a total horror about being in her stable at first as she's generally the only one that comes in on her block. She's fine about it now. I can leave her alone at night and she's happy so long as she's got food. They just need time to adjust to a change in their routine and handling, it can take a few weeks so be patient!

newrider.com