Long chaps/over trousers

GGs

Jun 30, 2005
North Yorkshire
Does anyone have any recommendations for any of the above - would like something to keep my legs warm/dry whilst riding now its getting cold. Twenty years ago I thought nothing of riding a moped 12 miles to the yard catching and riding an unclipped, unrugged hairy cob then back home. Admittedly I stayed by the fire for the rest of the day but I couldn't do it now! ;)

Lol, never mind 'COULDN'T' lol, WHO WOULD WANT TOO:p

Can't help on suitable chaps I am afraid as obviously not riding at the
moment with mine only being youngsters;)

I have never got on with full chaps although I bought a lovely pair of suede ones! I resort to thermal tights with thermal jods over and an old fashioned long riding coat if really throwing it down. I am always tempted by the waterproof jods sold by Splash clothing but don't know anyone who has tried them.

If you can find them, Ornella Prosperi waterproof overtrousers - come in padded and unpadded options, designed for riding in, keep you nice and warm, dry and snug without being bulky, even when riding out in high winds as they come up quite high to keep the back warm, brilliant. Alternatively when it's been really cold/snowy I use my skiing salopettes - just the best. Otherwise a good soft leather pair of full chaps - if you're very tall and quite slim I can introduce you to a wonderful pair going dormant in my cupboard, but otherwise... sorry!!:)

Must admit I saw some salopettes in Matalan today and was quite tempted but thought they may be a bit slippy to ride in? Snow, slippy trousers & a mare that's leaping around - I can see an accident coming on.:eek:

My Peter Storm waterproof trousers from Milletts are fabulous. Keep your legs totally dry and toasty warm all throughout the winter, I'll be living in mine for the next few months! They're good for riding in too.

I did order a few pairs of different proper equestrian ones from Ride Away but had to send them all back, none of them fitted and they were twice the price of my Peter Storm ones!

ski pants are amazing. Go for snow boarding style ones that are less 'shiney' than traditional salopettes so they're less slipey to ride in. You can pick them up really cheap from TK Max or sports discount stores. I have several pairs but then again I love skiing and boarding too so I use them for both, but I'm always warm, sometimes too warm!

I have two pairs, one to get to the yard, they are fully waterproof by gelert, i think came from millets. walking trousers, lightweight so you can add layers underneath.
then pair to ride in by shires, thicker padded waterproof and windproof, then i just change as i find they can let in water after few hours out in it, so i have spares.

newrider.com