Longer distance hacking ...

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
This summer I'm hoping to plan some long-ish rides. Not like 100 miles sort of long, but 'leaving the yard in the morning & getting back in the evening with a picnic and a pub stop along the way' sort of rides :D

Now, I ride pretty lightly - I'm doing well if I remember my car keys in all honesty & have to make an effort to remember my phone :p So probably need to get vaguely organised and purchase a few bits & pieces if I plan to be out for more than a few hours.

For those that do longer hacks, what do you use for:

• Water bottles - I've seen in canping stores water bottles wirh carabiner (?!) clips. Would they need some sort of case or can I literally clip them onto my saddle? Do they bounce and annoy the horse in anything but walk?!

• Saddle bags? Is over the front best? Or behind the cantle?! Which brand .... ?

• Rider bags? I'm assuming a bum bag style might be best?

Anything else I've not even thought about ....?! Probably lots :p

Reactions: Prjsmk
This summer I'm hoping to plan some long-ish rides. Not like 100 miles sort of long, but 'leaving the yard in the morning & getting back in the evening with a picnic and a pub stop along the way' sort of rides :D

Now, I ride pretty lightly - I'm doing well if I remember my car keys in all honesty & have to make an effort to remember my phone :p So probably need to get vaguely organised and purchase a few bits & pieces if I plan to be out for more than a few hours.

• Water bottles - I've seen in canping stores water bottles wirh carabiner (?!) clips. Would they need some sort of case or can I literally clip them onto my saddle? Do they bounce and annoy the horse in anything but walk?!

• Saddle bags? Is over the front best? Or behind the cantle?! Which brand .... ?

You need @Jessey!

I would love to do this, so much! I do go out for long rides, in the wagon because there isn't really the option where I live, but I never take more than a pack up waterproof for me and a few choice bits (phone, hoof pick, money for ice cream/pub) in my bum bag. Oh and a map of course, in a waterproof case (from ebay) slung over my shoulder and round my body. I let Raf graze en route but I don't bother myself until I get back to the wagon. I'd love to do the all day riding from A to B stuff.

Reactions: PePo and MrA
I prefer a small ruck sack and behind the saddle saddle bags.

I went to rideouts for a full day with a rucksack on which had a bottle of water a couple of chocolate bars spare bits for a basic bridle and a spare stronger bit ( Kia could be a tank some days especially once he had done a few and was fully fit) baling twine and an isotonic drink/gel sachet.

Kia drank from streams and cattle troughs along the way and at half way I would take his bit out and let him graze whilst we were eating. We had a feed sitting in the trailer along with drums of water and electrolytes but we were doing a lot of galloping and cantering :)

You need @Jessey!

I would love to do this, so much! I do go out for long rides, in the wagon because there isn't really the option where I live, but I never take more than a pack up waterproof for me and a few choice bits (phone, hoof pick, money for ice cream/pub) in my bum bag. Oh and a map of course, in a waterproof case (from ebay) slung over my shoulder and round my body. I let Raf graze en route but I don't bother myself until I get back to the wagon. I'd love to do the all day riding from A to B stuff.

It's funny, as I'd love to get out in the trailer and do organised rides or exploring new areas but given Pete's current non-loadimg status following the accident - I'm improvising! Thankfully, we have good hacking so it's a case of getting out there to make the most of what we do have instead of focusing on what we can't do :)

I'm hoping @Jessey see's this too - she's always been my idol at getting out there for long rides :) But completely understand that she's bloomin' exhausted too!

I prefer a small ruck sack and behind the saddle saddle bags.

I went to rideouts for a full day with a rucksack on which had a bottle of water a couple of chocolate bars spare bits for a basic bridle and a spare stronger bit ( Kia could be a tank some days especially once he had done a few and was fully fit) baling twine and an isotonic drink/gel sachet.

Kia drank from streams and cattle troughs along the way and at half way I would take his bit out and let him graze whilst we were eating. We had a feed sitting in the trailer along with drums of water and electrolytes but we were doing a lot of galloping and cantering :)

Thanks!

I was thinking of taking off his bridle noseband & leaving his halter on underneath, so should be easy to bridle/unbridle if need be.

Thankfully Pete is well versed at drinking from any puddles or streams we come across - so a trough would be his dream I imagine :D

I'm hoping to do a fair bit of fast work, but I guess it depends how fit he gets & how far exactly we go! I don't currently feed electrolytes, but did consider it last summer so might think about it this year. I mean, he never seemed de-hydrated, but you can never tell ...

A backpack is worth thinking about. I wonder if you can get high viz back packs?!

Water bottles I would avoid the bottles with just a clip at the top, they bounce like crazy unless you get them really well tied down.

Saddle bags I prefer pommel bags for day rides, as sometimes if you are fiddling about trying to get something and you need two hands, if they are behind you have to put your rein down and twist around, where as my front bags I can loop the rein over my arm and at least have half an eye on what's coming up ahead :) Even if I have both front and back packs on I put all the stuff I might want throughout the day in my front pack.

I have a few types of saddle bags, Shire's panniers which come with 2 water bottles and fit behind the saddle, I do find they can bounce a bit if there isn't much in them. I have Easycare Stowaway duelux bags (these are my go to bags for most of my rides) they also have 2 water bottles, and you can either fit loads in and all the straps on them means you can generally get them pretty well secured either full or empty and with or without drinks on board. I also had a zilco pommel saddle bag, it fitted quite a lot in it (much more than you'd expect) but no drinks on that one. For my bulky/soft items I just use a dry-bag which I tie on the back of my saddle, I have a huge 80l one which was less than a tenner off ebay and a couple of Velcro suit case straps (also only a couple of quid off ebay) which I put my bedding, tent, coats/clothes in as I found cantle/banana bags were just too small. I also have an A5 size envelope bag which just fits to one side behind my leg, this is great for a map and just a few bits on a day ride.
This is my full set up when camping
29695120_10156212927712246_1604786528929519454_n.jpg

Rider bags - I can't stick riding with a bumbag or a rucksack, the bouncing and jiggling of it or the stuff in it annoys me, I have a runners belt which is like a mini bumbag but designed to hold items securely without bouncing and my all time favorite is a cashel ankle safe, I ride with it just below my knee, its just the right size to stick my phone, money, chap stick and a few other little bits into and its easy to access and I forget I have it on but it stays with you should you part company with your steed.
ASAFE-BLA-3.jpg

As for other things, my list if I am going out for a full day;
Lip balm (helps you not to lick your lips which makes dehydration worse),
First aid kit,
Poncho (I am the coldest person ever),
Folding bucket (as there is rarely horse access to water where we ride but I can often dip my bucket into a trough the other side of a fence for Jess),
Food and drinks,
Phone,
Map & GPS

I do also have other bits and bobs that just live in my saddle bags now, things like cable ties, paracord, carabiner, a mini multi tool/pen knife, a gigli wire saw, break away ties, lights, reflective belt and random bits like that.

I have a 2 part bridle so my head collar is always underneath and I have added clips to my reins so they can be easily used as a lead rope.
29597653_10156212927747246_2850997602683216518_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Prjsmk
Nothing to add as I've never used saddle bags and don't go normally go out all day. For longer hacks and fun rides I do take my hunting flask which attaches to the d ring and the girth strap, you could fill it with water, although mine's usually rhubarb gin at the moment :p

Loving that we're starting to think about Spring/Summer and warmer drier weather, if it ever dries out that is :rolleyes:

Oo just to add, D-ring savers are really handy, not only do they take the strain off the D's but they tend to give a bit more flexibility/length so its easier to attach things to them :)

I've got the behind Shires panniers too but ditched the bottles because they both leaked! Bought a couple of lightweight metal camping ones from the pound shop to replace! Rather than a rucksack, what about a fisherman gilet or a hiking one? You get lots of pockets....although might be hindered by a hi viz, of course.

Screenshot_20180403-130109-600x1067.png

I don't normally go our for more than 3 hours - I have a shire's riding belt which holds a water bottle, hoof pick, my phone and a camera.

I've got the behind Shires panniers too but ditched the bottles because they both leaked! Bought a couple of lightweight metal camping ones from the pound shop to replace! Rather than a rucksack, what about a fisherman gilet or a hiking one? You get lots of pockets....although might be hindered by a hi viz, of course.

View attachment 92416
I was going to get one of these but then brought my air vest so couldn't use one with that, but just to say you have to be careful about what you put in your pockets on your torso....things like keys can cause serious injury if you land wrong on them :)

Thanks for all your thoughts :) It's been really helpful!

The OH actually happened to be in Decathalon & spotted a saddle cloth with two pockets - which looks like it'll be really handy for longer rides.

I'll look into the panniers too :)

Thanks again X

Reactions: Prjsmk and Lissie
What a useful post, was looking for ideas like these for my longer hacks too, so glad i have seen all this! Sorry op for jumping in on your post lol! I had better make a list :)

Reactions: PePo
I have a Hi viz saddle bag on all year round. Depending on what I'm doing we might have-
Lightweight Hi viz jacket
Reflective water proof roll away trousers
Hoof pick
Go pro
Gps watch
Phone
ID on her and me
Lead rope
Neck strap
Twine
Mobile
Reins
Head collar / halter
Carrots
Drink
Foldable water bucket
Public landmark details with known road/ lane grid reference- for the pizza delivery. Sometimes I have eaten the picnic before I set out :D:p

Reactions: PePo
newrider.com