Longreining and leading, anyone want to join in

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Well after the last lesson its been decided that the cob needs to be longreining to build up fitness and confidence. If she really really won't go forwards I can come along side to encourage and support then go back where I was.

She was good but was thinking about herself rather than looking to foot soldier or me. Especially when she considered not going or turning back, but the considered is an improvement. It meant she is thinking and not just sod this and doing it.

Who else wants to join in and go for a stroll. Short distances and bullding up to two miles. Maybe add some photos, take a sandwich. I will have thighs like a :giggle:

I will join you in about 4 weeks when I'm allowed to walk for longer periods of time!malaika and I are looking forward to our long reining and will do both our waist lines the world of good :rolleyes:this will be one of our routes.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361115286558.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361115286558.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 16
Joey and I will join you! Yesterday we did half the perimeter of this stubble field...

IMG-20130216-02682_zpsea48749b.jpg

Or we will be in the school practising with blinkers...

170213009_zps39fb5d8f.jpg

This is out and about only.

In the school she is 4 going on 14. We haven't jumped or done much tackless-obviously she is only 4 lol
But out and about we have hill work, roadwork and the woods. Yes I will be fit but we both be fit. Its the routes I led her last year, this year its longrein only with intention of riding when fit enough.
We have the beach but that would mean rolling out of bed early. Hum.

We are just leading out on walks at the moment - Logan has a fear of ropes so I have lots of work to do before I can long line but its on the agenda!

I taught the mini to lead from my bicycle and while Logan could do with the increased speed, I dont think Ill be trying it with him - he tanks off with me when Im ready for it - i just cant hold him so not planning to try that from a bike!

Both Rosie and Cassie long line nicely and Cassie is good enough to bring the dogs along too so photos to follow in the next few weeks! :tongue:

I have no doubt NF that Tilley will excell herself, but such a shame there is no-one for you to hack out with to encourage her to be brave - a real nuisance for you.

If I was closer, the VERY spooky Tobes and I would come out with you, we have lots of hoof clatters (branches or leaves, especially small darty birds), but generally get past things pretty easily - especially large tractors, trailers, horse lorries, massive Somerfield lorries who have got lost .....

The instructor has thought of bringing her bike next time, so we will see what stage she is at. She is ok with bikes.
We had a tractor behind us twice and she wanted to look and that was that.

I think people are nervous of going out with us because she is young and she not straight forward. But the more she goes out she will hopefully file it under seen it ignored it.
She jumped at a pile of mud. :biggrin: I can see the resemblance there of - a pile of mud.

@anna-I used to be in your position with the tank and not being able to hold. So that's reminded me that yes I have a volcanic hole taking her out, but the staying with me is hopefully something she chooses even if it passes through her mind to go. She isn't big but half Shire

Last edited:
Tobes jumped at a pile of horse poo today whilst out hacking!!! Or leaves, or drains, or mud where it shouldn't be!!!

I have to say, before I moved yards, I really did think he was some nutter!! Actually, fellow liveries horse today had a melt down at some branches overhanging the road - and he is 12!!!!

I think that is just natural for a lot of horses, and anyone who has an issue hacking out with you NF, clearly has a massive confidence issue with their own horse. Absolutely CANNOT blame Tilley for being worried about a pile of mud when my own 8 year old who recently everyone has said is an absolute saint fusses about a pile of poo and some leaves and a very tiny bird!!!!

Tobes jumped at a pile of horse poo today whilst out hacking!!! Or leaves, or drains, or mud where it shouldn't be!!!

I have to say, before I moved yards, I really did think he was some nutter!! Actually, fellow liveries horse today had a melt down at some branches overhanging the road - and he is 12!!!!

I think that is just natural for a lot of horses, and anyone who has an issue hacking out with you NF, clearly has a massive confidence issue with their own horse. Absolutely CANNOT blame Tilley for being worried about a pile of mud when my own 8 year old who recently everyone has said is an absolute saint fusses about a pile of poo and some leaves and a very tiny bird!!!!

Edited to add - a horse only knows what he does. This is from my BHS YO, and this is absolutely correct.

You are dead right NF, the more she does of anything, the more she will know it and will get good at it.

Longreined yesterday In strong winds on the yard. Wasn't photo opportunity when the wind shakes that around, it would be all blurry.
Apparently coming in cold again-possibility of snow.

http://db.tt/nQoRhTmx

Took her out today for 15minutes. Really pleased as she just walked past the farmer cleaning the tractor with pressure hose. (this is the noisest farm in Britain;))

Photo is off a video so not great quality. But its the first time taken her out with saddle thinking about it. Sold the roller.

Last edited:
http://db.tt/e4usBp7H

Took her out today for 15minutes. Really pleased as she just walked past the farmer cleaning the tractor with pressure hose. (this is the noisest farm in Britain;))

Photo is off a video so not great quality. But its the first time taken her out with saddle thinking about it. Sold the roller.

Great stuff - it's amazing how noisy farm equipment can be, but once ours have heard it a couple of times they don't bother any more.

She makes her own noises-I must remember to move to the side when the tail lifts! :bounce:

newrider.com