Look what my silly horse has done to himself

TEmily

Oct 14, 2008
Sheffield South Yorkshire
Been waiting to post about this till I got the pics on - last Thurs got a call from YO saying Del has hurt himself and vet on way.

He's been squabbling right next to the fence (good well maintained wire, not barbed) and he's reared up and stuck his leg through the fencing. in pulling it out he's somehow managed to tear the skin off his foreleg all the way up his shin :hot:

I didn't see but according to YO bones tendons and everything were clearly visible!

Luckily vet came straight away, he's got 19 staples and a rather fetching pink bandage. He's not allowed out because vet is concerned that, because skin pulled so tight, he will pull the whole thing apart if he runs about.

He has been in for 9 days now and is very fed up. I've been getting him out in hand for at least 30 mins every day for some grass and, bless him, apart from a couple of blips of trying to hoon about he's been as good as gold, pretty impressive for a 2yo.

Unfortunately same can't be said for his behaviour with the vet - he's had to be sedated both times for dressing change. Think he must just have bad associations with her cos I'vee been practicing bandaging him and he stands stock still while I do it!

Thank god for insurance is all I can say.

Pics of the sexy bandage:
IMG_00221.jpg

IMG_00341.jpg

Not sure I would have wanted to see it with bones and flesh ewwww.

He looks rather chilled in his stable, hopefully the silly boy will be back on the mend soon and not to embarrassed by his pink bandage :redface:

I hate to say this but I have heard that wire fencing can cause worse injuries than barbed wire, as a horse usually moves away from the sharp points.. there have been cases of horses nearly taking their legs of on wire, when they've had a bad itch..
I'm glad your boy is getting better, it sounds horrible the injury, and sending him healing vibes (((((()))))))
Was it sheep fencing?

Yes it was - I know its not a great idea for horses and y/o is slowly replacing any on her land with post and rail but she can't afford it all in one go.

Actually though, he didn't do this injury on the square sheep wire bit, he actually got his leg right up on the top where there's just two single lines of wire.

My horse got his foot stuck in sheep fencing once and nearly tore his shoe off trying to get it out.. If you were to follow the fencing, you'd be able to see mis-shaped squares, where other horses had done the same.. at least your YO is trying to do something about it, post and rail is much safer for horses:happy:

I really hate my electric fencing, but now even that is better than post and rail for us - madam sits on the post and rail and breaks it!!!! She is managing to bend the walls of field shelter :mad: LOL

She wont sit on the leccy heheheh :D

I hope he gets better, awesome bandage :D

Having had to deal with a bad wire injury i feel your pain and annoyance.

Hopefully it will heal as good as my boys did he doesnt even have a scar!!

nikki xxx

ooooh, that's nasty. So glad he's ok. My ponies have had near misses with stock fencing. When we bought our land, it was the first thing to go, we have good hedges, post and rail. all fenced off with electric tape.

It always amazes me the miraculous ways horses find to injure themselves! V annoying.

Just had the bad news from the vet that she doesn't want him out for another week yet, as there's a corner of the wound that isn't knitting together properly. Poor Del :poop:

newrider.com