looking after your skin and hair in the winter months

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Looking at my dry , chapped hands and thought. How does everyone on NR look after there hands, skin and hair when they have horses in the winter months? I mean, my hands are already chapped and dry and god knows what! My hair , at the moment work nights so I don't really care about it at work but I have shoulder length hair and a side frige and my god is it a pain in the bum on a windy day and tryinf to get the horses in! How do you guys manage!?

I get dry hands and after trying everything (incl some seriously expensive stuff like Miracle Cream etc) I'm back with a massive pot of Diprobase. FAce is the same as all year eg. moisturiser with SPF (i dont wear any makeup, i think that can't be good for skin?). hair - nothing in particular!

Hand cream every morning and every couple of weeks or so lots of hand cream on overnight with gloves. I like an Avon one that's for very dry hands but have run out at moment, am using a glycerine one instead. Hair is tied back or under hat in rough weather but doesn't seem to suffer too much. Face, oil of Olay factor 15 moisturizer all year round.

I'll never forget a mate of mine being frank when she heard I was buying a horse. She said 'make sure you use some moisturiser, don't want you end up all leathery like xxx who has a horse.'
I shove on some oil of Olay with spf15 winter and Summer. Hair is always under a hat of some sort - baseball cap or woolly. Hands - not so good with care for them although found a love for nail varnish recently so will try and start a regime with some hand cream.

Vaseline is amazing for dry hands and feet! Just put a little on before you sleep.

Always keep a lip balm or Vaseline with you too as lips get so sore I'm cold weather!

The Body Shop do a really good hemp hand cream, I use it morning and evening.

I have a side fringe and am usually wearing a hat of some sort round the yard which helps!

I always wear gloves up at the yard now and I think that helps my hands from getting quite so dry and chapped. I put moisturiser on in the morning. It is goats milk stuff that I won but is very good. I keep it in the car. I have stuff in my bag and at home that I use if my hands feel a bit dry any other time.

For my hair I've found that conditioner after every wash has helped. I bought a spray in one which takes less time a you just spray on wet hair before you blow dry it. I don't style my hair a great deal.

Face and lips - I have a day cream and night cream I use (whatever is on special really!) sometimes I forget the night cream. Seems to be working so far this year. and blistex/vaseline/chapstick for lips (again whatever is on special!)

Last edited:
I have horrible dermatitis on my hands at the best of times, usually escalates to eczema at this time of year. If anyone has a solution, let me know! I rub on loads of dry skin creams but it's like pouring water onto a desert, ie, too little way too late!

My hair is dead straight so generally looks fine. If not, I wear a hat!

The Body Shop hemp hand cream is great. I use it when I have chapped hands from ice in water troughs etc.

My every day hand and face care is the no 7 Protect & Perfect, it is just as good as Clarins and half the price.

I tend to wear those light weight assembly gloves these days all the time in winter.

Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream is my saviour. I'm currently in bed with it smothered all over my face! Or papaw ointment if you can't afford it.

My hands aren't too bad since I have awful circulation so always wear gloves. My face is really dry this year, my nose is all flakey & I'm getting eczema on the corners of my eyes.

For generally parched skin, eczema or dermatitis I thoroughly recommend aveeno and oatmeal baths. After a course of roaccutane which basically blocks all your sebum glands & dries you out, I had plenty time to try all this out. I would have been in agony without 8 hour cream and aveeno (and vasaline for up my nose! Lol)

Last edited:
I smoother my face and hands in Niva Moisturiser (the one in the blue tub) at least 4 times a day. I suffer from very dry skin and this is the only cream that has helped.

Hair wise - I have to straighten it for it to look decent, otherwise it looks like a bushy mess. At the yard I don't care what I look like, so just tie it out of the way.

Hat for my hair, just to keep it out of the way, gloves for my hands and lemony flutter cuticle butter from Lush for my hands and feet, applied once a day in the evening works a treat, my poor old face just gets left to the ravages of time and weather, lol, no wonder I have such a weathered look!

I have long hair which gets in the way in winter wind!! I wear hats all the time from about October onwards. Either my riding hat (for safety leading on the ground in bad weather) or a beanie hat.
As for chapped hands etc... I get splits in my finger ends - very painful but I just wear gloves when I can and hope for the best! I get chiblains on my feet, legs and backside but this year so far just feet. Have started using Nivea in shower moisturiser and it seems to be helping my legs and bum!

Also my face does not suffer much as I wear foundation every day and it seems to protect me somewhat.

Me too - I always wear a tinted moisturiser with sunblock and my face is generally OK. It's just my hands. They're about 30 years older than the rest of me!

Just another tip if you have long hair that sticks out below your hat: put some Vitapointe on the ends, it will stop them getting split and wind ravaged!!!! I've used it for years and it does help preserve long hair!

I am quite strict with myself and cleanse, tone, serum and moisturise twice daily, with the Clarins range. I put a leave in conditioner in my hair to help, and am always applying cream to my hands and lips, but I do wear waterproof gloves in the winter now.

What you eat is important too, almonds are good for skin, hair etc:happy:

My hair is so fine and flyaway it is always in a pony tail or up somehow :frown:

My hands get so chapped I wear gloves to ride even in the summer but wear gloves in very cold weather around the yard and cover them with vaseline and other products when get home.

My face and lips get chapped so I will use a balaclava on the gallops and I wear make up which protects your skin and read in a mag is a must!!

newrider.com