Looking at a Possible Horse Share Tomorrow - Any Tips / Advice

Tallynpoppet

Mar 31, 2008
wolverhampton, West Midlands
Hi everyone,

I am going to look at a horse tomorrow hopefully for a possible share over in Shrewsbury.

A part from the obvious questions regarding the horse and its upkeep, is there anything I should try and look out for, or any questions that I should ask??

Thanks everyone

Lucy

ps Apologies - I put this thread in New Riders my mistake

Also wanted to add:-

The things I was going to ask were:-

Flexible days or fixed days
Whether she wanted a contribution
Whether the horse spooks when hacking
Bomb proof
Wanted to also ask her if she could show me basics of looking after the horse (she knows i haven't got any experience)
I think the stables where they are kept do stable management courses so I would probably do one of them
Is there anything else i need to cover

The horse is at Prescott Equestrian - looks like a lovely place.

I asm very excited but going to go there with an ooen mind and not get all gooey eyed when I see the horse, I will have my sensible head on!

Ask about insurance, whose responsibility it is, how much if you have to pay some of it.

If you want to,can you have lessons/compete?

Hope it goes well, I went to watch SJ at Prescott once, seems like a nice place.

All I would say is to be completely honest (I'm sure you will) about yourself, the owner can't help or advise you if they don't know what you do or don't know. The owner is obviously ok with you having little experience so it won't make a difference. I think you've got a lot already covered in your questions. Would be great if you could work with the owner 'shadowing' so to speak for a few weeks first so you can get to know the horse / pony and his quirks while there is someone who knows them all and how to deal with them. I had a share when I had hardly any experience and it worked out fantastic,best experience of my life. GOOD LUCK I hope you get the horse, keep us updated :D

Thanks I am definatley going to ask the owner if I can shadow, I did speak to her over the phone and she did say that she would help me out - but to what extent I supposed I will see when I get there.

The last thing I want is to be left in a situation of not being able to look after the horse when I go down, so this is high on my priority and I am going to make it very clear that I don't know ANYTHING about looking after these animals.

I will keep you all updated!!

lucy

newrider.com