Looking at a yard

shockblue

Oct 8, 2009
Derbyshire
www.ponytailsjewellery.co.uk
Has anyone got any advice on questions to ask?

Unfortunatly the yard I was going to fell through yesterday :( have found another for a decent price includes stable, school, 24/7 turnout, hay, water, lots of off road hacking.

It's is a big yard (52 stables) much bigger than I'm used too as I've always rented my own fields or been on small yard with only a handful of horses.

They have thier own worming program which is a bit of a bummer as I've just paid intelligent worming for the year but I suppose it's good as the horses are all done together.

Not sure on questions to ask but have to say I wouldn't go on a yard where all the horses were wormed as a matter of course.

I'd also hate a yard that big, but I guess it could have some advantages.

I'd want to know if 24/7 turnout is this all year or are they limited to summer only?
Also what are their rules regarding turnout when weather is bad (I know some yards wont allow turnout in snow, heavy rain etc)
Is it mixed turnout or single?
Is there a school and what are the rules re booking for lessons or suchlike?
What's the situation with times? For eg one yard I looked at you were not allowed on the yard before 9.00 am or after 7.00pm neither of which would have been any good for me. Or are you allowed to come and go as you please?
Is there any possibility of help should you need it with turn out, bring in etc?

Sorry not much help but good luck.

I used to be on a big yard - 60 horses, and it had good and bad points. There was no school booking system which was annoying - and also turnout was weather dependant. On the upside there were lots of people to help if things went wrong and it was a good busy atmosphere most of the time.
You need to just think about what's high on your list of priorities and make sure by asking in depth whether or not they meet your requirements. Better to find out first to avoid disappointment later.

Being on that size yard i would probably die. Not saying i am anti social far from it, but i am used to quiet yards.

Questions.

Is the school first come first served or do you need to book your slots.
Is their a visiting instructor, farrier?
Do competitions get held?
Can you park your trailer, lorry anywhere?
Are dogs allowed?

Check the tack room is locked and how many share, how big is the feedroom, do you have to buy their hay? This can be an issue if the quality isn't good

Is there 24.7 all year round field turnout, not just turnout. Some yards class an area outside as turnout. A small concrete area where they just stand all day eating hay.

I've been on a yard bigger than that, about 90 horses. I actually liked being there as I found that I only got to know the people in the same stable block than me so it was actually irrelevant of how many people in total as it was almost too big to get to know everyone, so it was like being on a yard of 25 not 90. And also everyone mostly went up at different times, so never massively busy, but meant there was always someone there on the yard if there was an emergency

I found that using the school was popular in the evenings, and with being such a big yard there wasn't any restrictions on times to go there so I'd ride about 9pm when the school was quiet. You could private hire the school though for £5 an hr which was useful if having lessons.

I would ask if you can have any RI to teach you there. And any farrier/vet, as you may want to keep using your current ones not ones they use. (The big yard I was on allowed anyone you wanted).

Also it was good being so big - there was a huge range Of people and their horsey interests - so if for example you wanted to do A particular NH method then there was always another few people who did it so you were never the 'odd one out' and people didnt judge. Whereas for example I've been on really small yards where everyone was traditional and my NH interest was frowned upon.

Also if 24/7 really was 365 days a year irrelevant of weather etc although perhaps you may choose to stable in bad weather anyway whereas we didnt, but that big yard still allowed 24/7/365 irrelevant if weather. The main issue was more about restricted grazing through the summer, they only had limited sicky paddocks kept for the more 'ill' horses so my Cobbies had to be turned out in a huge field and got fat (even with muzzle use).

Yeh ask about if dogs allowed and if they have to remain on leads everywhere (that's if you have a dog!) it is much better at our current yard where there's no 'leads' rule as I can exercise the dogs there whilst sorting the horses, it was a pain at other yards when they had to stay on the lead

Last edited:
Thanks guys and I am kind of leaning toward the bigger yard as I am into alternative horsemanship e,g NH, classical and therapies like reiki and equine touch too so a bigger yard in a sense would make me stick out less if you know what I mean and I would feel a lot less self conscious and wouldnt feel that I had to make friends with everyone to fit in.

Will check tack room. I have a tack locker and was just planning on leaving tht in my shed at home as. Rarely use my saddle ATM. I also have a large feed bin so will need to check if I can take that or if I will have to yet that in she'd too. I don't mind as have smaller bins.

The hay is included in the price.

Turnout is all year round 24/7 I asked because I don't want to be tied down to going up twice a day to turn in and out. I'm bringing her closer to home so tht I can focus on university and still have a time with her so don't want additional duties if she can be chucked out. I like that I would get a stable though too so I can bring her in if needed e.g. In the summer for lami and in the winter for hay / to dry hooves.

There is a jumping paddock too and loads of off road hacking which sounds really good as I have none of tht where I am.

Will ask about farrier and Instructors too.

newrider.com