Looking for advice!!

FeeStuart

Jun 24, 2008
Hi everyone!

One year ago my left leg was amputated below the knee due to an infection. Soon after coming home from rehab I started back riding (well, sitting on my horse)!! I'm pleased to say I have progressed slightly, though I do find some things a struggle still. I find that due to my prosthesis, my leg sticks out quite a bit and and usually does not come into contact with my horse's side at all, and if I have been riding for a little while, my leg starts thrashing about a bit, and theres not a lot I can do to stop it . I had planned to get some help/instruction, but felt I should try and get a bit fitter and balanced in the saddle beforehand. I have not had much luck in getting advice from other riders in the same situation, and my Prosthetist at the hospital could not help me either with regard to getting my leg altered for riding. So at the moment I am riding with my regular saddle, but I am finding it very difficult to do any schooling or anything other than hacking.

Any advice gratefully received!

:)

Thank You!

Welcome to New Rider :D

I believe there are a few other members with prosthetics, so hopefully they can give you some more specific advice, but have you tried an appointment with an RDA therapist? They assess you on your horse and I would imagine that they would be best placed to give you advice on riding.

If you can afford it, I have been recommended to try a Bates Innova saddle. I have a connective tissue disorder and can't always tell where my legs are in relation to the rest of my body and my horse and I was told that this saddle would help make my legs a bit more secure and more effective as the position would be improved. However, they are pricey (much more so than I can afford!).

Perhaps some lunge lessons with a good instructor would help with your balance issues?

Good luck, and keep us posted :)

Thanks for that Sez. Yes, I am hoping that there will be other members with similar problems that I can get some tips from. I have an instructor coming this week for a lesson, she doesn't have any experience with disabled riders, but she's happy to come and offer some advice.

I'll go and have a look on the Bates website for that saddle and 'drool'!!

:):)

I have nothing really constructive to say except go you for getting back into that saddle :D Just bumping this up so someone relevant can see it :)

Thank you. Getting back riding is what kept me positive during some desperate times in the hospital. I've got a lo.........ng way to go but I'll get there! :)

Don;'t know if it's worth it but is there not the new RDA equestrian center that has/being set up outside Dundee, they might be worth getting in touch with to offer info?

Well done you for getting on and keeping at it, al the best and I hope someone else has more constuctive and better advice than I can offer. :)

Hi, i remember reading an article in Your Horse about a lady with a prosthesis (sp?) and i believe she uses different prosthesis's for riding and walking. i dont know how much it would cost, but i know some people have had them made specially for riding in. The other thing that springs to mind is a dressage saddle with big knee rolls which could possibly offer support to your leg and might help keep it in the right place. Maybe someone who has one might let you try theirs to see if it helps> possibly an instructor or someone?
Definitely get in touch with the RDA. they could probably offer you a lot of useful information and might suggest equipment to use. As for your balance, lots of riding without stirrups would help. You might also fancy some lunge lessons which ive heard are really good at improving balance. Did a google search and this came up http://www.heathermills.org/limbs.php, on the forum there are people who also ride and who may also be able to give some useful advice. There might be some relevant stuff on here also: http://www.disaboom.com/forums/t/18853.aspx, some seem to be saying that an aussie stock saddle is also helpful. You might also like to use some toestoppers which keep your feet in the correct place and stop them slipping through especially in a fall. I dont know what to suggest re. getting a better contact with the horses sides, is there an instructor you could speak to about it? it might be a case of trial and error but i'm sure you'll find the right saddle/stirrup length etc, which best suits you if you stick at it, im the same! :)

I dont really know what else to suggest, but keep at it and well done!

FeeStuart

I've got an aussie stock saddle here which I'd gladly let you try if you thought you'd like to.

Pm me if you like..........I'm about 35 miles from you and know your country well.

The saddle I use at the moment is an Albion Selecta, so I have been able to try different knee pads. Most of the pads have 'built in' blocks which made things much worse as this made by leg stick out more. I am now using a pad with no blocks at all which is okay (doesn't help but doesn't hinder). Toestoppers might be a good idea, worth a try anyway! I did join the Heather Mills forum, but nobody could help (as of yet). I've just had a quick look at the other website you suggested and it seems to have lots of riders on it, so thank you, I will go and have a closer look! I'll probably try and do more riding without stirrups to help my balance, it has improved greatly, but ocassionally still topple forwards! I have heard of people getting 'a riding leg, I would love to know what this involves, how it looks and how it works. This would probably have to be funded privately as I understand I am only allowed one leg on the NHS.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and advice - its greatly appreciated!

:)

Hi, i remember reading an article in Your Horse about a lady with a prosthesis (sp?) and i believe she uses different prosthesis's for riding and walking. i dont know how much it would cost, but i know some people have had them made specially for riding in. The other thing that springs to mind is a dressage saddle with big knee rolls which could possibly offer support to your leg and might help keep it in the right place. Maybe someone who has one might let you try theirs to see if it helps> possibly an instructor or someone?
Definitely get in touch with the RDA. they could probably offer you a lot of useful information and might suggest equipment to use. As for your balance, lots of riding without stirrups would help. You might also fancy some lunge lessons which ive heard are really good at improving balance. Did a google search and this came up http://www.heathermills.org/limbs.php, on the forum there are people who also ride and who may also be able to give some useful advice. There might be some relevant stuff on here also: http://www.disaboom.com/forums/t/18853.aspx, some seem to be saying that an aussie stock saddle is also helpful. You might also like to use some toestoppers which keep your feet in the correct place and stop them slipping through especially in a fall. I dont know what to suggest re. getting a better contact with the horses sides, is there an instructor you could speak to about it? it might be a case of trial and error but i'm sure you'll find the right saddle/stirrup length etc, which best suits you if you stick at it, im the same! :)

I dont really know what else to suggest, but keep at it and well done!

My disability is very different from yours - but have you tried of riding without your prothesis? If it is sticking out so much it probably doesn't help your riding anyway. You could use a schooling whip on that side instead.
I know a lady with an above knee amputation. She is not a member here (yet :D) but I'll ask her if she wants to come on the board and compare notes with you. :)

I know of someone who competes para and able-bodied dressage and showjumping with bilateral amputations (she had meningitis). She has special sports legs which were quite expensive - her school did a big fund-raise to help finance them.

Don't know her well other than from chatting at competitions but will try and get contact details for her at the weekend (will be seeing someone who knows her well) so she can help you in the right direction.

Would also advise contacting the RDA and setting things in motion to get a para-grading done.

Nothing to add as far as practical help, just wanted to way well done to you, I know what you mean about it motivating you, I would be the same, if I lost both legs I'd still find a way to ride. Good luck with it all.

Thanks everyone for your help and support. :) I have not tried riding without my leg (though I have thought I might find it easier). What worries me about that is, if I fall off and damage my stump. Thats the last thing I would want to do. Its probably unlikely that II would fall directly on it, but the thought makes me...........c.r.i.n.g.e...... eek!!!!

:( :( :(

re

good luck to you just take everything in your own time and dont over face youself with the riding id defonatly get in touch with the rda guys and get an instructor out who teaches with the disabled riding as they also may be able to put you in touch with other people in your area who suffer the same, is ther any padding you can get to protect your stump at tall its shame that i cant help you i do teach some rda im down the other end of the country to you or maybe consult with a saddler as they may be able to recomend a saddle that will help seat you beter and make it more cumfy for you keep us updated please good luck to you and your horse

I'm sorry I don't have any constructive advice for you, but I wanted to post on your thread to say

Go FeeStuart!

Good luck on finding a solution that suits you and your horse.

not sure if it will help?

not sure if it will be any use or not but how about those little straps you can get to help correct leg position for 'able bodied' riders that fix onto the girth and the stirrup to keep it in place? prehaps with the closed toe stirrups that could be a way of helping to secure your leg and ride more effectively?

Have you thought of trying sidesaddle?

I know of a lady who is a left below-knee amputee, and sidesaddle suits her fine. She feels safer on the side than astride.

I prefer side myself, as I am somewhat weak in the legs due to back injuries and Fibromyalgia.

Cheers, Midori

newrider.com