Looking for Livery UK

Bizzer

Nov 10, 2021
Hey Guys,

Im thinking of getting a new horse and need to find livery local to me, based on Oxfordshire.

I've had a look on amazingrazing.co.uk and there are some options there, but wondered if anyone knew other ways of finding DIY Livery?

Thanks.

Bizz

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Facebook? Or word of mouth, asking any and every horsey person you know! Good luck. :)

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Facebook horsey groups is normally where most people advertise as they're local. Or go door knocking and ask on yards.

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
The BHS website had a list of recognised livery yards and facebook county groups sometimes mention places but one might need actualy to ask, in order to get replies. My experience is that rented yards often change hands. So a successful livery yard manager starting out on her own may begin with a shed and a couple of fields, but soon move on from there as she is approached by more owners / potential clients.

At the time when I might have bought a horse, I kept a list of yard managers I had encountered. I also keep a list of the people who have taught me, some of them stable staff rather than "proper" RIs. OH and I walked round visiting the yards. Door knocking as described above. It is important to actually see them and also for me as a hacker to look at the bridle paths near the yard. I remember turning down the nicest yard because hacking involved turning out of the gate onto a road at a blind corner.

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
I've used FB livery groups - I'm in ones for Worcestershire and Warwickshire. Also people often put "wanted" ads on my local FB horsey groups and get plenty of replies. If you do this make sure you put a clear list of what you are looking for to get decent replies

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
The BHS website had a list of recognised livery yards and facebook county groups sometimes mention places but one might need actualy to ask, in order to get replies. My experience is that rented yards often change hands. So a successful livery yard manager starting out on her own may begin with a shed and a couple of fields, but soon move on from there as she is approached by more owners / potential clients.

At the time when I might have bought a horse, I kept a list of yard managers I had encountered. I also keep a list of the people who have taught me, some of them stable staff rather than "proper" RIs. OH and I walked round visiting the yards. Door knocking as described above. It is important to actually see them and also for me as a hacker to look at the bridle paths near the yard. I remember turning down the nicest yard because hacking involved turning out of the gate onto a road at a blind corner.
By door knocking I meant literally knocking on the doors of properties (non livery yards) that look like they may have a field or stables, to ask them if they might consider taking on a livery or renting the horse facilities out, I’ve found many sole use places like this.

Reactions: Kite_Rider

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Local tack shops and feed shops can also be useful for contacts, mine have cards on the inside of the door and the staff may also tell you of yards if you ask them.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Liveryfinder, liverylist are two I’ve used, but as others have said, FB, word of mouth, farrier, instructor and Google maps (satellite view) to look for places that look like they may have a bit of land and knocking on doors.