Looking into all the options

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Two years ago we had company that used our gateway to get out.
It's a consealed entrance with traffic going past maybe 30mph or more.
I asked the yard owner if the gate could have a spring on it so it closes itself. The reason is because it's too dangerous /unsafe to shut with a horse in your hands.
The reply was it's going to be made wider. My solution at that time was check if anything was coming and cross, turning her in a circle to stand on the lane so traffic can actually see us. I tried standing in the gateway and with large vehicles it causes her to be unsettled and step on me.
So we went back to the look and loop round.

This year I have company again and asked the yard owner for a spring. Once again I got told it's being widened.
So this time I won't be struggling with her and dicing with death.
It's not safe to stand a horse on the road when I could cross when clear and be out the way.

Options are-

Tell the yard owner I am going to buy a spring and ask them which one they want to me buy.
Hope the new livery wants to go halves,they will discover you can safely close it as well.

I am having to leave the gate open which I do not like as it's only leccy fencing splitting internal paddocks.

What haven't I thought of?

Can you ask the council to put up signs saying concealed entrance and animals crossing or riders?

Can you hear if traffic is coming?

As a temporary measure can you put a second electric fence a few feet from the first one? Not foolproof - what is? - but better than nothing. Or fence a pen area inside the gate.

Were you told word of mouth or do you have it in writing that the gateway will be widened?
If it has still not been done, you could point out that the promised widening has not been provided and that as an interim safety measure you suggest a spring should be fitted.

I wouldn’t ask again, I’d fit a closing device. I’m not the most diplomatic when it comes to my horses safety.

I probably wouldn’t want a spring (tails can get flicked and caught in them), but depending which way the gate opens, a rock on a chain (or brick and baler twine) would do the job and is super easy to set up
IMG_9207.jpeg

Reactions: carthorse
I wouldn’t ask again, I’d fit a closing device. I’m not the most diplomatic when it comes to my horses safety.

I probably wouldn’t want a spring (tails can get flicked and caught in them), but depending which way the gate opens, a rock on a chain (or brick and baler twine) would do the job and is super easy to set up
View attachment 122627
Ah hadn't thought of that idea.
It opens inwards.

Were you told word of mouth or do you have it in writing that the gateway will be widened?
If it has still not been done, you could point out that the promised widening has not been provided and that as an interim safety measure you suggest a spring should be fitted.
Word of mouth plus it's in writing on a message.
I suggested the spring regardless of the widening, I believe that's only being said so as to not do anything at all.
Since neither has actually been done in two years.

Can you ask the council to put up signs saying concealed entrance and animals crossing or riders?

Can you hear if traffic is coming?

As a temporary measure can you put a second electric fence a few feet from the first one? Not foolproof - what is? - but better than nothing. Or fence a pen area inside the gate.
There is a tree that blocks my view that could be used to put a sign on.
It's been suggested by locals about reducing the speed, that's another angle.

I can only hear the traffic coming if it's a large vehicle. I can't hear anything else which is why she has to stand nicely while I step forward to look around the tree without moving when I do.

A fence pen could be put up. I have four foot posts with white tape as a visual.

Another thought, does your gate have adjustable hinges? If so you can probably adjust it to swing shut depending how it’s hung.

I am going to try another option my brain decided to give me last night.
As well as the pen.

Put a lead rope on the middle and pull it shut as I go out and carry on.
It's actually turning to fasten the gate that is the issue, this way is better than just leaving it open.

Reactions: carthorse
Update to the update 😂
She's cottoned on very fast. I can now pull it to without the need for the rope.
I check, she waits.
I ask her to come, she then turns herself and waits while I then pull the gate.
I did bump her bottom once with pulling the rope, so that may have influenced that move!
Awkward, but do able.

newrider.com