Lost mojo

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Wasnt 100% sure where to put this to be honest. So its going here for the time being.
I think i have lost my mojo for riding and sox in general.
Either that or its my mental health one of the two.
Recently i have no disire to ride really. The thought of going on a long hack... i cant be bothered. 15 minutes is enough once or twice a week.
It doesnt help that sox doesnt feel 100% either, going down hill. I spoke to my vet who suggested not doing as much hill work. Though to get off the yard there are two hills and the village is hilly anyway...
So he doesnt feel right ontop of that he has white line disease and is a twat with that! Though he is getting better.
Still having issues with his hinds in terms of getting boots to fit him.
And i just have no energy or motivation to do anything at the moment.

If the last line is about everything not just horses then try and speak to someone about it, by that I mean a professional as well as friends and family. If you're on medication it might need reviewing or you could be run down for other reasons. Hopefully they will help. If it's only with Sox then I'm not surprised, that sounds like alot to be going through and always gets me unmotivated when one of them isn't 100%. Take the pressure off yourself, just go up for cuddles and spend time doing nice things. Be proactive with his white line disease (I'm sure you are anyway!) Once I'd cleantrax Ale I felt a bit better. Hope things improve soon and honestly don't think Sox will mind at all just pootling about, especially if you're having all this rain we are getting! I rode for about 7 minutes the other day then gave up!

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
If the last line is about everything not just horses then try and speak to someone about it, by that I mean a professional as well as friends and family. If you're on medication it might need reviewing or you could be run down for other reasons. Hopefully they will help. If it's only with Sox then I'm not surprised, that sounds like alot to be going through and always gets me unmotivated when one of them isn't 100%. Take the pressure off yourself, just go up for cuddles and spend time doing nice things. Be proactive with his white line disease (I'm sure you are anyway!) Once I'd cleantrax Ale I felt a bit better. Hope things improve soon and honestly don't think Sox will mind at all just pootling about, especially if you're having all this rain we are getting! I rode for about 7 minutes the other day then gave up!

I felt like this not long back.
I had a good look at my lifestyle and made tweaks to it.
The first significant one was meds and altering the time they are taken.
The second was diet and three months down the road I feel so much better.

If you don't feel like riding, you actually don't have to. You can lead out, you can longrein, you can if you have access to a school/ area at up obstacles/ poles etc.
If we just keep doing what we are doing we can sink into a rut.
To be honest the weather the past thee weeks here has been horrendous. I have only ridden twice this week in the school because it's been really windy/ heavy showers-I could take cover if necessary if stayed on the yard.

I started to feel like this when Ramsey began to go downhill. Initially, I had shorter hacks, then it got to just leading him out - he wasn't up to much more than that. I think I felt guilty about him, because he hated being retired, but, like you, I lost the motivation to do much with him. It all got a bit depressing, and I felt as though I was just going through the motions. People offered me their horses to ride, but that felt like a betrayal - so stupid, like he'd care! It got wearing as well, wondering how he'd be when I went up. I loved him so much, it hurt to see him deteriorating. It's very natural to lose motivation when you've got things to worry about. I actually enjoyed my old boy again when I got Hogan - it sort of balanced things - having fun with Hogan lifted my spirits, so I felt more upbeat and ready to deal with all that comes with a poorly, elderly horse. Not quite your situation I know, but I do get what you mean.

I started to feel like this when Ramsey began to go downhill. Initially, I had shorter hacks, then it got to just leading him out - he wasn't up to much more than that. I think I felt guilty about him, because he hated being retired, but, like you, I lost the motivation to do much with him. It all got a bit depressing, and I felt as though I was just going through the motions. People offered me their horses to ride, but that felt like a betrayal - so stupid, like he'd care! It got wearing as well, wondering how he'd be when I went up. I loved him so much, it hurt to see him deteriorating. It's very natural to lose motivation when you've got things to worry about. I actually enjoyed my old boy again when I got Hogan - it sort of balanced things - having fun with Hogan lifted my spirits, so I felt more upbeat and ready to deal with all that comes with a poorly, elderly horse. Not quite your situation I know, but I do get what you mean.

I felt like that when we'd have Zi about a year. Storm took a real turn with her tendon injury and I knew that not only was it time for her to retire properly once and for all - but that I'd be lucky to keep her as a field ornament (it was touch and go in the early stages because she'd buggered it up so many times). I felt ridiculously guilty riding Zi at all - almost like I was betraying her! Stupid, because she doesn't care either way, doubt if she even notices !!! But it is horrible and I lost my mojo. It's been on and off - so I can relate to a lot in this thread too.

Reactions: Huggy
I felt like this not long back.
I had a good look at my lifestyle and made tweaks to it.
The first significant one was meds and altering the time they are taken.
The second was diet and three months down the road I feel so much better.

If you don't feel like riding, you actually don't have to. You can lead out, you can longrein, you can if you have access to a school/ area at up obstacles/ poles etc.
If we just keep doing what we are doing we can sink into a rut.
To be honest the weather the past thee weeks here has been horrendous. I have only ridden twice this week in the school because it's been really windy/ heavy showers-I could take cover if necessary if stayed on the yard.

That's good advice about the actual riding. Once I take the pressure off myself to ride I find when I do, I actually enjoy it!!! I don't do much on the ground but sometimes just having twenty minutes together grooming and scratching works. It's just as productive (and he loves it lol)

Wasnt 100% sure where to put this to be honest. So its going here for the time being.
I think i have lost my mojo for riding and sox in general.
Either that or its my mental health one of the two.
Recently i have no disire to ride really. The thought of going on a long hack... i cant be bothered. 15 minutes is enough once or twice a week.
It doesnt help that sox doesnt feel 100% either, going down hill. I spoke to my vet who suggested not doing as much hill work. Though to get off the yard there are two hills and the village is hilly anyway...
So he doesnt feel right ontop of that he has white line disease and is a twat with that! Though he is getting better.
Still having issues with his hinds in terms of getting boots to fit him.
And i just have no energy or motivation to do anything at the moment.

Could be a combination of things. Maybe your mental health, change in season to autumn, Sox and his white line disease - all clubbed together it can get you down.

I think it's a combination of things. I was getting a bit down now the nights have really started drawing in. I think it's seasonal affective disorder kicking in. The last two weeks with Billy being lame I've really been feeling it. I've actually done more with Chunky as Billy's not allowed to work still but I feel guilty even driving him. My motivation is disappearing. The vet has said I can start working Billy next week but I feel like wrapping him in cotton wool and doing nothing with him.

I think as well, the psychological thing of the less you do, the less you feel like doing kicks in. Just these last few days of not getting out to ride, with the weather, has dampened my enthusiasm - I'm going to have to make myself get up early tomorrow to go out.

newrider.com