Love him

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
He shone again today, 8 months since he had a harness on and I hitch him straight to my home made harrow/leveller/muck spreader and what did he do, put his head down and pulled his little socks off :D we only did 10 mins as he hasn't pulled in so long and this kind of pulling in a breastplate is harder..... I think I may have to get him a collar if this is going to be his regular job :)
FB_IMG_1515187686126.jpg
He really is a super star pony when he's asked to work, it's just when he is bored he gets up to mischief :p

I have a heavy pallet I was going to pull around the school to roll it.
How have attached it all behind him.
Course sold my harness because someone changed shape!

Yay way to go Hank.
The brest collar harness does struggle a bit. Collars are better to proportion the weight on the body. I can't see whether you've used a swingle tree.
I wouldn't use a pallet NF just in case they panic and manage to swing round and step on it. The nails make it dangerous. I know people do.

I used the swingle tree off his cart (I couldn't find the home made one that I made when he was pulling a tyre around before he had a cart) and hitched his traces straight to it and used rope to connect it to the harrow so it could be cut easily in an emergency.
Do you use a collar @chunky monkey? I think I would struggle to buy one to fit Hank having had a quick search last night.
I don't think a pallet is any more dangerous than a metal frame they could get feet stuck in or the links on a chain harrow, it all poses a risk. Perhaps start with a tyre @newforest as there's much less chance of injury with that while they get used to pulling.

No I haven't got a collar. But it's such a mine field I would have to have one specially supplied and fitted to be sure it fits right. If there the wrong fit they can put the pressure and strain in the wrong place. So its going to cost a fortune and to be honest for the occasional use with his back issues I'm not sure it's worth it now for chunky.
I will get one for Billy though once I get him driving again.

Reactions: Jessey
I have a harness maker friend, I might see what he would charge to make me a basic one
This is what puts me off. I would need a complete collar harness as sold everything.
Plus I have spent months teaching her not to use the shoulder to pull but to push from behind.

This is what puts me off. I would need a complete collar harness as sold everything.
Plus I have spent months teaching her not to use the shoulder to pull but to push from behind.
It's not to hard of a job to get a collar harness to fit a normal size pulling horse, it's hank's size, not many are made for mini's.

They shouldn't be pulling along from the front end, they should be pushing from behind into the collar so done right it shouldn't set her back.

I think Hank would look adorable if you could get him a collar.
Well he looks adorable as he is just being him. :)

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com