Loving horses in your blood or your heart?

Centyfield_Mica

Apr 21, 2007
My family know nothing about horses and dont really care much for the time consuming, expensive, smelly, dusty hobby of mine.

As a kid a loved horses and always thought, when Im older I'll get one. I met another lady today would says her daughters love of horses came from nowhere as they never encouraged it.

Do you think its either in you or it isnt??

Also once you've had them can you ever really give them up for good..?

my family are all non animal let alone a horse.

I spent my child hood doing slave labour for local pony owners ( loved every minute of it!) until I started working when I bought my first horse. Then I started working with horses aswell after being bored in an office and having a partner who could support the crap wages!

But its just in my heart

Im much the same as you Centyfield_Mica I have a completely non-horsey family but I have so my mum tells me have always had I thing about horses. Sat on my first one on Gt Yarmouth sands at the age of 2 and have never looked back. As for giving them up well I dont know because Ive never tried..............and dont intend to.

My family always had cats and dogs when I was growing up but no horses, I tagged along when my sister wanted to go riding when I was about 6, after a few lessons she hated it but I carried on. I only managed a 6month break from owning a horse, I had to give mine up as moved house but I'll be getting my new one on Saturday...cant wait!! I can't ever imagine being without horses and I hope I wont be. My Grandad was a farrier but that's the only horsey relation in my family.
I'm sure the rest of my family think I'm mad, getting up every morning and going out every evening in all weather :rolleyes: it's well worth it!!

My parents let me ride as a child but no way were they going to buy me a horse. (Apparently they are a complete waste of money:eek: )

Although I hardly rode as I had children now they are grown up a bit I have my own horse (well I've had her a year now.)

Even when I couldn't afford to ride I never gave up my dream of owning my own one day.

Parents still tell me she is a waste of money and I should sell her.:mad:

My immediate family are totally non-horsey but I always loved them. I had an aunt who lived in the countryside and borrowed a fat little grey pony (still have a pic somewhere :eek: ) and put him in the back garden (a big one!) when we went to visit one week. My sister was too scared to get on but I loved it! Never really got to ride again until adulthood due to lack of cash.
However, talking to my gran the other week she told me she has a cousin who worked teaching an aristocratic little girl to ride in Belgium just before the war. This cousin rode one of the aristocratic families horses in a national showjumping competition and won!! Apparently she came back to England as war broke out clutching a huge silver trophy! The cousin is still alive although very old and I'd love to get to meet her. Can't say that I inherited anything from her though - I am far too talentless and scaredy to ever do more than pop a tiny little jump :eek:

Definitely think its in you and once in there you cannot get rid of it - it will not go away. As a child (we didn't have much money as a family) I obsessed over horses - but alas couldn't afford many lessons - I thought that it might have gone away, but a random hack booked on a holiday in Cornwall 3 years ago changed my life............its been the time of my life with many ups and downs - but I wouldn't swap it for anything!!!!

Despite my mother growing up on an Irish pre-WW2 farm her only contact with horses was the bad tempered cart horse her grandad owned (probably bad tempered from over work and too few cuddles !), so she was afraid of horses.
I was only given riding lessons because my friend went, but I loved it and lived for saturday mornings, my escape from a strict school life and pre-divorcing parents. Even as marriage, career and children took over, I always wanted to have my own, despite knowing none in my family who was remotely interested.
I can't imagine life without horses,I always knew how wonderful having them would be, and it is and quite frankly, if I had to , I'd live in a caravan rather than sell any of them ( though, I wouldn't ask my daughter to :) )

Definitely think its in you and once in there you cannot get rid of it - it will not go away. As a child (we didn't have much money as a family) I obsessed over horses - but alas couldn't afford many lessons - I thought that it might have gone away, but a random hack booked on a holiday in Cornwall 3 years ago changed my life............its been the time of my life with many ups and downs - but I wouldn't swap it for anything!!!!

I sometimes envy friends whose mums and dads are at the yards helping muck out while they go off riding though........theres a lovely little family just moved on our yard, mum has a horse and dad leads their little girl on their pony. So sweet.

Heart, definately.

While my parents used to own standardbred racehorses, it was a business proposition, nothing more, and my mother was deathly afraid of them. It wasn't until I got my first horse that they started getting a bit interested, and now that we have the 3 at home, they treat them like pets :p While they don't really handle the horses much, it isnt uncommon that they'll feed carrots, help me brush and be there if I need support.

Actually, ironically in a family of over 80 counsins and second cousins, 9+ aunts and uncles, I'm the only one who has any interest in horses whatsoever.

I am not sure. Great grandparents had farm horses, grandparents more into motor transport. parents totally disinterested. However myself and one cousin totally horse mad as kids and both work with horses now. Both of our children also totally into horses although none else in the family is.

Selective breeding???

Oooh I think in the heart..loved horses as a child financially was never going to happen they were as far away as the stars...loved reading about them drawing them all the usual stuff...never lost that love...or that catch in the throat when I'd see a horse galloping on TV (remember the Lloyds adverts..only reason I went to work for them-not there any more though)
It was last year though when I was at Saville Gardens and there was some sort of cross country event going on...that was it I was transfixed..just the noise that they made on the hard earth....I did it booked the lesson and that was it..I remember the smile I came home with that day lasted until my accident...but it's that feeling that's going to get me on horseback again..not long now...xxx

Well my mum rode as a child but gave it up when my grandma died when my mum was 14. Shes never wanted to go back and now my liking of horses is always slagged off and rarely supported by both my parents. Although deep inside they tell me they love the way I ride, I do get comments like "you middle class girl" and "what a smell" etc. But anyway thats getting off the subject! :eek:

My mum is probably the only relation who rode.... my uncle places a few bets now and again but I definitely wouldnt call him horsie.
I suppose still... horse riding is more in my heart than my blood as my mum still has no interest at all sadly :( One thing I do know (corney line coming up :p) Horses and Horsriding are in my heart and there they will stay ;)

I dont intend giving up riding... I did for 6 months due to illness but couldnt wait to get back in the saddle! :D
xxxKellyxxx

my new found love for horses is relatively recent. i grew up in an animal loving, but not animal owning family. i've always loved animals, and my course at uni shows that (BSc Animal Management). I was never a great fan of horses though. i was thinking about my future career and decided that i needed to get used to being in contact with horses and similar 'prey animals', so though 'i'll go horse riding a couple of times'. well, a couple of times turned into a lot of times, and i now plan on getting my own horse someday!

my auntie and cousin also ride!

I seriously doubt its in my blood as the only relative I know who rides and has horses isn't a blood relative and my parents weren't exactly enthusiastic about me wanting to ride but after 2 months persuasion they let me:D

They do ask me how my lesson went and ask who I rode etc and you can see they are smug about me riding especially now I'm going to a show, they tell everyone:p Although it's not in my blood my parents are willing to learn about them to understand why I love them (I taught my mum all the parts of a saddle and bridle and colours lol) Mabye I'm the turning point in the family;)

Although none of my grandparents were horsey, my mother loves horses, and shares my passion.
But my dad doesn't understand the idea of sitting on top of a walking ball of hair & mud, although, he likes petting the ponies at the stable :)

Last edited:
noone in my family is horsey. my only beloved grandad puts a bet on the horses often, but that's as far as it goes.
my mum rode for a bt as a girl for her friend and was scared stiff, especially after a bad accident to herself and friends of hers; she's wary and anxious of horses even now.

i have always liked horses, been fascinated by and in awe of them and wnated to know more (as per usual ;-) ) but it wasn;'t until a trek in the NF aged 10 3/4 that I becasue instantly hooked - and by that i mean obsessed. there is honestly nothing i care about more than horses, nothing i wish to devote my live, my body, my soul to, than those beautiful, magnificent and powerful creatures that roam this earth. If it weren't for horses, i don't know where i would be now, or even who i would be. in fact, i dread to think.

it's definately in my very innerds: in my case this is a nurture AND nurture issue. horses satisfied my hunger and ever-increasing thirst to prove myself, to beat them all and just say 'f**k you, look at what i've become - look at what i can do'. my whole life revolvec around my older sister and my twin and i were - unintentionally - shunted into the background.
i tried ballet, irish dancing, the violin, fulte, occerina and recorder (hah, that's all my mum knowing best as usual, bless) and could enevr find something that i was really good at and could excel at and enjoy (i mean come on, everyone has at least one), esiecially as my twin is so damned good at EVERYTHING; she's not even that dashed about horses, yuet here i am crying about them, aching for the brush of a whisker and the soft smell of horse breathe on my face that i could just drown in, and she just hops on and excels; an honest natural. and there's moi working my socks off for nothing (seemingly).

but anyway, horses do things for me - mentalyl and emotionally - that help me to survive. i',m going through the s*****t time of my life ATM and they are - truthfully - the ONLY thing keeping me sane,. i'm one of those people who needs a purpose, something to drive towards and, quite simply, they are IT with-capital-letters.

sorry guys, this is totally off subject come to think of it - you know, the other day i just sat down and decided to write about what horses mean to me.

it went on for 6 pages (in my illegible scrawl, feeling like such the emotional git i am :) ) and i still haven't finished - in fact, i should add this to it.

does this drivel even answer the question???

newrider.com