Luminous gear, yellow hi viz etc for getting out and about in

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I've not hacked or walked on public roads for ages and only have two tabbards. I bought mine recently online it was a cheap one off ebay. I have a few questions - one is, are they all the same standard? In that they can all be seen clearly? Is it worth paying more for things like that? Also thinking about some bits and pieces for Zi. I know there are leg wraps etc. Does anyone know of a basic starter kit type thing? I really don't know where to start as there are such a lot of items on ebay (my usual port of call ). Tack shop don't have that much, but I will have another look in there.
I saw some hi viz looking stuff in a local builders merchants type place, they even had beanie hats:p but wondered if their stuff would do just as well as the "equestrian" variety?

The only thing I can really say is the more the better and perhaps think about using 2 colours (pink tabard and yellow sheet eg )

I think it's all pretty much the same and I've used all sorts. I think if you're hacking in low light at all then you would want the hi viz with the silver strips on to reflect light but for daylight hacking not sure these are really needed.

Sorry not much help but I've got a pic somewhere of ale in all his which I'll try find :)

From the net.
"Garments certified for professional use (EN471) are represented by an aqua label, those for leisure use (EN1150) by a royal blue label and accessories (EN13356) by a navy blue label"
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news...p-safety-standards-295652#DZmsBrAmgIfxqQiD.99
Not all companies have signed up to this though and it was seven years ago standards were brought in.

Do not forget that hi viz fades with the sun and needs replacing. (I can fade everything even the horse!!) :p
She has the Harry Hall martingale, hi viz and reflective plus light, on all year round and a neon saddle bag. I always have a saddle bag on all year so might as well be a bright one!

Myself a waterproof, hi viz and reflective windproof adjustable tabard with huge pocket for phone and camera clips.
Reflective waterproof, windproof half trousers.
Boot light- keep forgetting to switch on. :rolleyes:

Start with what you think might work for you. Add links if you like. I like the sheets but they are not practical for our windy conditions and would over heat her.

The general thinking now is you need to mix your colours. Yellow and pink for example.
Any foot soldier needs to be seen as well. It really surprises me now how many walkers are out in dark clothes.

My friends' horse was killed on the road twenty years ago, it may as well have been yesterday when that phone call came. :( I don't want to be a statistic.

Last edited:
Some of the equestrian stuff is over priced I think. If you take hi Viz jackets for example. My local equestrian store was selling some for £60. Yes they had yellow and a couple of silver strips. But they also had a good section of black material on them down arms and at base of back. Not imo completely hi Viz more a fashion thing. I can go to my local building merchants and buy a jacket for £30. Completely yellow and silver strips.
I cant say about wear and tear quality, but for vis-ability I know what I would pick.
I have a high Viz sheet for mine which has a tail piece. Some of the exercise sheets don't have one at all. Quite frankly if you want to be seen from behind get one with a tail piece.

Reactions: newforest
I use a mix of equestrian and builder type stuff, it's all bright and reflective. I think leg wrap thingies are great as can be seen from all sides (I have aldi's runners ones which also light up), and for when it's warm out. I always wear a vest/tabard of some sort and a hat band. And Jess has an exercise sheet for winter. I also have reflective belts which hank has around his middle and one in my saddle bag in case I get caught out and want something on the front of jess, it fits round her neck :)

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I've now purchased pink hi viz leg wraps, a yellow hi viz hat band and hi viz yellow ear bonnet. Very excited to try it all out next Sunday if it's here by then! :D

And as it was cheap I've also gone for a pink tabard that says please pass wide and slow on the back, no one will be able to say they haven't seen us now!

Reactions: Trewsers
I sometimes wear a tabard and sometimes a jacket (aswell as all of the other stuff) I find that having hi viz arms is useful when signalling!

i-mCN7B9k-L.jpg

I make ribbon wrap browbands and was wondering if there were a market for hi vis reflective ones...

newrider.com