magnetic boots .... do they really help?

HorseHelen

Sep 17, 2006
at the farm, near the zoo
my horse has been lame for about 6 wks now and the problem is with her coffin bone/joint. have just bought some magnetic boots (overreach ones) on ebay just to see if this might have any effect. the vet is coming back in 4 wks time to reassess her and hopefully diagnose her but until then i thought i would give these boots a try

would be interested to know if anyone has used magnetic boots with positive results?

i have magnetic turnout boots on my mare. she has sticky hocks and was getting very locked up and stiff. i don't know if it is the boots or not but since i have been using them every day she hasn't locked up at all in fact she is well enough to be able to stand in overnight (amazing seeing as last year she would have locked solid if i left her in even for a couple of hours). just make sure you don't leave the boots on for longer than 12 hours at once or you can overheat the muscles. hope you have success with yours:)

They help my mare but it depends on the problem and the animal (to a degree) as to whether they do work or not. Magnets are meant to increase circulation in general but particularly in the area immediate to where they are located, so general stiffness, filled legs, etc may be helped by them. I suspect they won't do much for more serious problems.

we used magnetic boots on my laminitic mare and yes, they did help. My farrier attributed her excellent toe growth (usually restricted in laminitics) to the regular use of the boots. I use magnetic tendon wraps on my cob after exercise to help any aches and stiffness.

when i asked my vet about these for an old horse of mine his opinion was that he had seen no scientific evidence to prove that they work

but that if i didn't mind shelling out £100 he knos owners who think they are great so go for it & keep an open mind

i'm more of a scientific girl so i didn't bother;)

My friends horse actually HAS improved sinse using these. But tbh im a very sceptical (sp?) person so i still wouldnt shell out the price for them lol.

I love mine, my horses navicular improved no end after buying his magnetic boots, I used the exercise type boots rather than the over reach boots though - I swear by them :)

The P2P yard I work at swear by the magnetic rugs too - so there must be something in it :)

thought i would give them a go after you suggested it! but went for the overreach type ones as it says they are good for navicular ... am hoping it makes a difference

only another two and half weeks before the vet comes out again (then it will be 3 months since she went lame) .........

Well good luck my fingers are crossed for you :) Let me know how you get on with the boots and the vet :)

I'm also of a rather scientific and sceptical mind, but I do know a number of people that claim it's helped their horses. Whether it was really the boots or other treatment taken in conjunction one wouldn't know without someone doing a set of proper scientific tests controlling the for the various variables.

But the science works slowly and conservatively (and rightly so, I think) - so may be there's something there that science will come round to later. Can't imagine that the boots could hurt at all, except the pocket of course :)

newrider.com