Magnetic therapy rugs

Dont know about the rugs but I wear magnetic bracelets and my dog wears a magnetic collar and both of us are crippled without them!

If nothing else, this will bump this up - I'm curious too.:)

P's quite tight through her pelvis & takes forever to warm up. It might well be a side-effect of me being tight & wonky, which I am trying to address, but I've been considering a magnetic rug to pop on before I ride. The marketing blurb sounds great but doesn't it always? They ain't cheap that's for sure! Hmmmmmm...:rolleyes:

absolutely love the bioflow leg wraps - the difference in my horse is amazing- if he doesnt wear them overnight his legs are filled and swollen and he struggles, with them on his legs are fine and he's not stiff at all.
i have the rug as well and judging by how well the leg ones work i imagine the back one does a similar thing.

I've got a magnetic back pad that velcro's to a fleece rug, seems to make a difference to Bebe's stiff back (or did when it was an issue) but I think it's the extra warmth more than the magnets themselves.

I forked out a fair amount on a tiny magnetic pulsing device, was recommended to me by back lady. Can't see any difference whatsoever when I use that, but cost too much to give up on it so still bung it on from time to time.

I think you'd probably get just as good results from a hand held massager or heat pad.

For what it's worth I don't think they do anything more than any rug or boots.
I'd stick with a nice snug rug for warmth rather than fork out for something with "magnets" in.

Or as Bebe suggests, a hand massager or heat pad would be worth a try.

Trouble is that P gets too hot quite easily & I'm not a believer in over-rugging, so I don't want to wrap her up too much. She's not exactly skinny and nature designed her to convert calories into central heating rather than lard at this time of year! I thought the effect of magnets was supposedly more than purely to warm the horse up, although I know it's not scientifically proven that it does anything. This is why I'm interested in peoples' personal experiences.

Still not sure what to do :rolleyes: Story of my life! :eek:

I bought a magnetic rug kit from ebay, sewed it into a cotton sheet.

I've not used it for a while, and I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but as I already had the sheet, it only cost me £35 ish.

I thought the effect of magnets was supposedly more than purely to warm the horse up, although I know it's not scientifically proven that it does anything. This is why I'm interested in peoples' personal experiences.....

Bioflow magnets have been proven in a scientific study to help with pain associated with osteoarthritis, and are class 1 medial devices. So there is proof they make a diffrence, although not related to why you want one

Jill

Magnets only warm the area more than a rug would. Those studies that have been conducted do show extra heat but could that be due to the boot or bandage which is keeping the magnets in place?
Im very sceptical and after a module of equine therapy ive learnt that theres probably better therapies which would do a better job. My lecturer said the Whitakers use a TENS machine underneath a rug before riding which has actually had studies done to prove its effectiveness. Putting it on for even 10mins before riding will have an effect.

The study on magnets is quite subjective and honestly, i liked the idea until i read up on them and had the lecture!

hey

have to say I was at BETA and saw many many magnetic products...... but there was one - must look it up - magnetic rug with south facing magnets and massage in a rug - costs £2400 for the top of the range - but it's proven to increase performance - in germany dressage horses were shown to extend mediunm trot by 26 cm..... will find out more and fill you in...

NEW equine's boots focus their magnets on the major arteries on either side of tendon which means it increases blood flow and aids the whole body just not the local area in the way that equilibirum or premier equine etc do.....

Magnets

HI
I can certainly vouch for magnets. I use boots on my mare, however have also got a magnetic rug, which I bought the pads on ebay (about £30 for the pads - 6 in total) and used an existing rug, which is light as the magnets due produce heat. I have sown the magnets into the rug & can therefore tailor them exactly where the problem is.
Also, at the mo, I am lending a pair of boots to another livery as her horse has been lame on front right. He was lame despite having 1 sachet of bute. She tried boots & half a sachet of bute & he was sound - this was the following date to full bute & still lame. The next day, just boots & sound. He has stayed sound & has been wearing the boots purely at night.
If you can, do order the natural horsemanship magazine back copy as they have the Magic of Magnets? article in there & this shows the circulation pictures of using magnets:

December 2008/January 2009 (51)
Dear Readers
READER'S OFFER
Klaus Ferdinand Hemfpling Clinic Review
Andean Challenge
Connecting With Horses
The Language Of Horses
The Magic Of Magnets?
Reader's Letter
Stepping Into The Unknown
Look Out!
What's that about Gemma?
Coach and Horses
A Place of My Own
A Yard of My Own

http://www.vowleyfarm.co.uk/MagContents.htm

Each to their own, but I have found the wonders of magnets! Good luck!

newrider.com