Mare becoming difficult to put the saddle on

kookoolaalaa

Nov 12, 2008
South Yorkshire
I have had my mare since May this year. When she 1st came she was ok as far as I can remember when I tried to put the saddle on. Now it's really getting me dowm and she's getting worse!
It's when I first put the saddle on and when I tighten the girth, She won't stand still, she throws her head and swishes her tail. After we have put the saddle on and she's ready to go she's fine!
Any suggestions? Shall I get someone out to check her saddle or some horses act like this???

I have had my mare since May this year. When she 1st came she was ok as far as I can remember when I tried to put the saddle on. Now it's really getting me dowm and she's getting worse!
It's when I first put the saddle on and when I tighten the girth, She won't stand still, she throws her head and swishes her tail. After we have put the saddle on and she's ready to go she's fine!
Any suggestions? Shall I get someone out to check her saddle or some horses act like this???

Even though you said she is fine after I would still get someone out to be sure. If the saddle fits and the problem persists then look into getting a chiro/physio out.

:)

Absolutely!

Get her checked over.

I had this when I first bought my mare and was advised by someone I trusted that my mare was being naughty and didn't want me to ride.

I know better know.

Get the horse checked over for physical problems. If there are any this could be because of the saddle but may not be so I'd get the horse checked before getting the saddle checked.

If you are worried I wouldn't ride until after the horse and saddle fit has been checked :)

Just to add that another thing might be that the longer winter coat might be getting pulled. That's another pet hate of my mare, she hates having her coat go the wrong way.

Even so I'd get your mare checked out for your peace of mind. :)

I'd go for saddler first.

Hmmm, this is where we differ given our differing experiences. :D

After my supposedly well respected saddler missed the problem I had the horse checked and then found out the problem was down to an ill fitting saddle. Joy then got treatment for her cronically stiff back immediately and then I got another saddler out to fit a new saddle.

A saddler will be cheaper though if you have one you trust and it is more likely to be a saddle issue than anything else. :)

I agree get the saddler as soon as you can. And you could get a back person/ physio but they will prob tell you to get your saddle checked. Ask around for reccomendations if you are on a yard or ask your instructor if you have one. It sounds like she is uncomfortable in her back and doesn't want her saddle on. Sometimes horses can be quite stoical when the saddle is on and just get on with their work. I don't think that there are that many 'naughty' horses they can only tell us how they feel through their behaviour.
If it was me I wouldn't ride her until you have had the saddler out but that is just my personal opinion (or you could ride bareback if you like it or just do groundwork) Maybe her saddle was ok in the summer but has now become uncomfortable she may have muscled up through extra work or dropped off a bit with the winter.
I have had this sort of thing several times with my mare and now I have the saddler out every six months and inbetween if I start to notice the signs. Some horses seem fine in the same saddle all the time but others seem more sensitive. Good luck.

Last edited:
I would get a therapist out first. They know much more about the horse's physiology than most saddlers do and will know whether your saddle is the problem or it's something else and the saddle is exacerbating it.

Horses react in the moment so I would say your problem is saddle and/or girth related and your mare associates it with discomfort or pain. It might just be something in the process of tacking up or you need to follow through and take note of her reactions from the point of being tacked up. In other words, are there any other negative behaviours after being tacked up such as not standing still when you mount; rushes off or hollows as soon as you've mounted; jogs a lot, goes hollow, feels tense, carries head high or throws it about a lot etc. If there's nothing else in her behaviour that suggests she's uncomfortable in her saddle, then it is just something about the tacking up part which might mean a change of approach, a change of girth or the way you tighten it.

You've noticed a problem so just look for any other signs and to be on the safe side, call a practitioner.

She's also a bit of a menace when I brush her especially under her tummy! But I thought this was down to her being naughty!

There are no sores are there? She might just not like being groomed or if there is mud stuck to the hair then it might pull a bit when brushed.

Everything seems fine when we have saddle on. She dosen't do anything you have asked. Although she sometimes throws her head up and down a bit when she's had a good trot or canter and she's warm!
I have started from last week having a riding instructor come to the farm so I'm going to put the saddle on in front of her and see what she says then going to try a qualified saddler to come out an check both my horses!

Have you tried a different girth?

I've gone one that's fussy about girths in winter and doesn't like her belly brushed, fine in summer, and changing to a humane girth has kept her happy.

Could be the girth pinching, so she objects to that being done up.

Think you should get a physio/chiro to see if there IS a problem, before a saddler to fix it!

What to do is very much a matter of opinion! Given that your mare is showing classic signs of discomfort, I'd ask about locally & see of there is a chiro or physio who people recommend. They should be able to tell you if there is a problem, and may well be able to treat it too. IME saddlers can be rather hit and miss. I wouldn't trust any of my local saddlers with my horse's back.

As has been mentioned, girthing issues could well be behind the behaviour. My mare is ever so 'girthy' and can get quite savage if she's not happy with my choice of girth. I have a dressage saddle that she used to get very angry about wearing, I felt like I was dicing with death every time I tried to put it on her, even though it seemed to fit really well. Now I've bought a humane girth with a Prolite sleeve, and she is quite happy to wear the saddle ;) It also helps with her if I don't girth her up too tight initially, I only properly tighten it when we've warmed up enough to start cantering & again she's been happier since I've been doing this :)

Hey..

i had a similar problem, the saddle had been fitted by a saddler so knew it wasnt that...

she used to stamp her legs and throw her head about... I then started to tie her leadrope up tighter so she couldnt walk round as much & then started the girth a hole at a time. shes 5 holes on either side and i used to just go quite quick with it, Now i take him & shes a LOT better. x

newrider.com