Margaret Thatcher has died

I like Tony Benn's wonderfully understated comment:

"She was a conviction politician, a sign post not a weather cock; but one that I always felt was pointing the wrong way"

I like Tony Benn's wonderfully understated comment:

"She was a conviction politician, a sign post not a weather cock; but one that I always felt was pointing the wrong way"

I love Tony Benn, I am glad he outlived her.

I am not commenting further about political whatnots and whatevers, I am already in trouble with my Mum for speaking ill of the dead.

I am entirely unpolitical, doesn't matter who's in power, we will all complain and can never go back and relive the same period with a different leader to see if the original one was wrong for what they did, the choices they made.

I admire what she achieved within her own career for herself, a strong woman. Respect for that. RIP Baroness Thatcher.

I have nothing good to say about her at all, but also don't care that she died. I believe this country would have been better off without her, something good died when she was in power, I was there and I saw it and felt it.

I admire what she achieved, given her background and how skewed the political system was against women.

I didn't like her personally but at least she wasn't corrupt like the bunch of tossers we have these days. And the Tony Benn comment is very true - she at least stood for something, even if you didn't agree with it. Will be interesting to see how we fare when we have to regain the Falklands next time around, i somehow don't really see anyone having the bottle to do that again.

She and the unions were equally bad in their own ways and the fall out was pretty dreadful. I grew up in a council state in a corrupt labour run part of Scotland and have no fond memories of that either.

I really liked Denis, he was a real character. She seemed totally lost without him, which was surprising as she seemed so strong, just goes to show people are never quite how you imagine them to be.

I am entirely unpolitical, doesn't matter who's in power, we will all complain and can never go back and relive the same period with a different leader to see if the original one was wrong for what they did, the choices they made.

I admire what she achieved within her own career for herself, a strong woman. Respect for that. RIP Baroness Thatcher.

Yes that's what I am thinking. We don't know how things would have turned out with someone else. It could be better or worse.

I think she made some very good decisions and some very bad ones.

Certainly an era I shall never forget. Then we had the unions in control, now we have the banks, you can't win. When the banks go, what next I wonder.

I am glad she is not getting a state funeral. She is far to controversial. The miners strike was just ghastly.

Yes that's what I am thinking. We don't know how things would have turned out with someone else. It could be better or worse.

I think she made some very good decisions and some very bad ones.

Certainly an era I shall never forget. Then we had the unions in control, now we have the banks, you can't win. When the banks go, what next I wonder.

I am glad she is not getting a state funeral. She is far to controversial. The miners strike was just ghastly.

The bank issue is a Maggie creation through her deregulation in the 80's. not only did it affect the industry itself, it re shaped the national attitude. No more do we save and spend if we have it to spend, we spend what we don't have and are paying the price.

She had some good ideas but without the follow up and balance. Allowing council tenants 'right to buy' was inspired, it inspired the working class to strive to work and buy their own homes, but then not to reinvest that money into more social housing was ridiculous, a disaster.

I can appreciate that whole communities have been wiped out when coal and ship building went, but that was inevitable too. Coal was getting too dear to mine (plus Germany paid its reparations in coal which undermined our coal industry) and cheaper world alternatives were available. Add into that that British coal isn't very clean burning so won't meet the green credentials of a modern era.

Shipbuilding had been in decline long before Maggie got in too. Cheaper and more innovative producers took their toll.

When whole communities depended on a dying industry then this was going to be devastating. The shipbuilding industry should have been better supported to innovate by government contracts.

Where this country is lacking is in investment in innovation and invention. Unfortunately we rest on our laurels, trying to eek out every last penny from an idea and then wonder why the rest of the world takes over! I agree with not protecting outdated, uncompetitive industry as that's pouring money down the drain, however that needs to be balanced by investing in research, innovation and investment. Its that that the Thatcher government failed to do. It cut investment in the dead ducks but didn't strive forward to replace it with anything and that was unforgivable.

I do believe in the free market economy by with responsibilities and safeguards. The Thatcher era promoted the free market economy but without the responsibilities, safeguards and humanity.

I'm another from 'oop North who lived through the entire MT reign.

Too much fuss and attention about her death already, and I don't see the need for a 'national' level funeral either. Why are the BBC newsreaders wearing black this morning for goodness sake?

I am wary of individuals who believe unfailingly and totally in being right. While it's inspirational to deal with people who are enthusiastic, dedicated and driven there are some who take it a step further and just consider they have a better understanding of the world than others - end of. MT was one of those.

When she was in power she came across as superior, lacking in humility and only rarely showing any signs of empathy.

She lived a long, active and presumably fulfilling life. She did what she thought was right. I won't miss her.

When she was in power she came across as superior, lacking in humility and only rarely showing any signs of empathy.

agree with this^ . You missed off being a bully though.

I watched the BBC documentary on her last night and thought she came across as a thoroughly dislikeable person. It sounded to me that she was a little like Hitler with everyone in her constituency trying to "get rid" of her.

It sounds like she got too big for her boots.

newrider.com