Market research for online retail

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
If you guys wouldn't mind, could you take 10-15 mins maximum to answer the following questions for some market research regarding online retail? Some is equestrian specific, some not. It's for a potential equestrian website that is currently being researched, yet looking to offer something different, depending on demand/requests.

If you'd rather not post for all to see feel free to PM me or ask for my personal email address for you to reply to if you wish to remain totally anonymous.

I might bump this every now again, depending on how much response I get. Many thanks :biggrin:

• Female

Age bracket
• Under 19
• 20 - 29
• 30 – 39
• 40 – 49
• 50 – 59
• 60 – 69
• 70+

Horse status
• Owner
• I own but don’t ride
• Loaner
• Sharer
• I attend a riding school and ride
• Other

Residential location
(Generic, i.e. south west England)

1. Do you shop for horse related products online? If so, approximately what percentage of your purchasing is internet based?
• < 10%
• 10 - 50%
• 50 - 75%
• 75% +

2. Which equestrian websites do you regularly use, and why?

3. How much do you spend per month, on average, on your horse and related products? (Excluding livery, farrier and vet/dental costs).
• < £10
• £10 - £20
• £20 - £40
• £40 - £60
• £60+

4. Are you loyal to specific brand names/labels (i.e. John Whitaker, Masta, NAF)? If so, please specify which and why.

5. Which is of higher importance when spending money; value for money or quality? (Please specify a ratio if possible, e.g. value for money 60%, quality 40%)

6. Which of the following are the five most important aspects to you when purchasing online?
• Payment security & options (i.e. being able to use credit card or PayPal)
• Good quality images
• Detailed product description
• Web layout
• Simple navigation
• Low/reasonable postage & packaging
• Speed of delivery
• Use of brand names
• Price of items
• Other (please specify)

7. If you revisit a site used before, what draws you back?

8. Do you shop for items only when looking for something specific or do you browse on a regular basis?
• I only buy something when I really need it
• I sometimes browse but am strict with what I buy
• I regularly browse and sometimes buy
• I regularly browse and make purchases

9. What would/has made you impulse buy an item?
• I did actually need it but forgot
• It was great value for money
• I loved what I saw
• I decided to treat myself

10. Do you regularly seek out sales or look for bargains when shopping?
• Yes - I only ever shop in the sales
• Yes - I like to look for a bargain but will be non-sale items if necessary
• Sometimes, but not exclusively
• Not really - I don't look to always save money

11. What do you feel are the benefits and drawbacks of purchasing from a website?

12. What prevents you from buying a product online?
• I don’t like giving my bank or personal details and/or I couldn't use PayPal (or other similar payment method)
• I don’t like paying for delivery
• I prefer to see and touch and item before buying it
• Items are hard / too much hassle to return
• There wasn’t enough description or a good enough photo for me to be sure of what I was buying
• Other (please specify)

13. In which ways would you like to see online retail improved?

14. Would you find other peoples’ reviews of equestrian products useful on a website?

15. Do you leave feedback or provide reviews for any products (equestrian or otherwise) e.g. Amazon, eBay and such like?

16. Do you regularly read or seek out horse/equestrian related articles online?
• Yes
• No
• I read if I come across them but don't actively search for any

Last edited:

Age bracket
20 - 29

Horse status
Owner

Residential location
Thames Valley, South East

1. Do you shop for horse related products online? If so, approximately what percentage of your purchasing is internet based?
10 - 50%

Equestrian Clearance.com - easily navigated, good deals, regular emails stating offers that are on etc, news...
Robinsons Online - easily navigated again, well known, reasonably good reputation.
Premier Equine - love, love, love their products and item descriptions are brilliant.
Equilibrium - Again, love the products.
Ebay - Not equine specific, but definately get a few things on there, mainly new but sometimes used as well depending on what it is.

3. How much do you spend per month, on average, on your horse and related products? (Excluding livery, farrier and vet/dental costs).
£10 - £20
(just to elaborate, sometimes it may be £50 at a time or more depending on what is needed, but then go months without spending a penny on nik-naks).

4. Are you loyal to specific brand names/labels (i.e. John Whitaker, Masta, NAF)? If so, please specify which and why.
No, not actually loyal to a brand... although I have a lot ofNewmarket striped stuff, all Rambo/Horsewear but not because I like the name. I do tend to stick to Weatherbeeta rugs though, come to think of it - I like their fit, quality and price.

5. Which is of higher importance when spending money; value for money or quality? (Please specify a ratio if possible, e.g. value for money 60%, quality 40%)
Value for money - most likely 50-50 actually. I'd rather wait (if I can) for something to come down in price/sales to get good quality at a cheaper price than buy cheaply 3 or 4 times.

6. Which of the following are the five most important aspects to you when purchasing online?
• Good quality images
• Simple navigation
• Price of items
Sorry, could choose just 5... found it hard to get just 6! Payment protection is huge for me now after just being raped of my money in my account from someone online being dishonest and using my card details. Price and P&P costs are a big thing too... can't stand over priced p&p - just another money making scam.

Good quality service, well packaged, delivery times, items as described and customer care/satisfaction.

8. Do you shop for items only when looking for something specific or do you browse on a regular basis?
I only buy something when I really need it

It was great value for money
I decided to treat myself
(these sort of comne together for me. EG. A good quality rug eg PE, down from £200 to <£100 is a steal! It is still a bit of money however, so willsee it as treating myself this month :D)

Sometimes, but not exclusively

11. What do you feel are the benefits and drawbacks of purchasing from a website?
I usually know what prodcut I want so have seen it in the flesh and know the quality and how it's made etc, BUT drawbacks are not knowing what the products are like. Recently I needed some brushing boots for turnout for Ben, I found some online by Robinsons at £17 per pair. As they were their own make, I didn't buy online and went to their store instead to check quality... just in case!

• I don’t like giving my bank or personal details and/or I couldn't use PayPal (or other similar payment method)

Hard one... I don't think it can be improved. Except offering top notch sale services and customer feedback/aftercare etc. In a word - COMMUNICATION.

14. Would you find other peoples’ reviews of equestrian products useful on a website?
Yes. Likewise, reviews on NR ofcertain products, supplements etc are very useful. This facility on online shops would be good. Equestrian Clearance has an 'answer section' below each product if youhave a question or need advice.

15. Do you leave feedback or provide reviews for any products (equestrian or otherwise) e.g. Amazon, eBay and such like?
Only feedback via ebay really... or sometimes I'll mail through to let themknow that the item has arrived, not that companies usually care :rolleyes:

• Yes

Age bracket
30-39
Horse status
Sharer

Residential location
Norfolk
50-75%

Robinsons Online - easy to use, regular updates sale items emailed to me
Ebay - Quick/cheap easy no need to keep registering details
£20 - £40

No Whichever I fancy/price

60-40

• Good quality images
• Simple navigation
• Price of items
All of above

Ease of use, easy to find goods, price, quick delivery

Specific, will look for what i want and buy straight away, sometimes a browse but rare

Cheap - if it says £300 reduced to £50 I would buy regardless of whether i needed it ;-)
I decided to treat myself

Yes mostly check sale/bargain bin

Benefits- Quick easy 24 hours a day
Drqwbacks- waiting for delivery, hassle if i need to return something

Not knowing the company or its credentials

Stop Spam, passing on details to 3rd parties. Easier returns system, Better pictures sometimes

Yes.

Yes ebay definately, although its not very personal everyone puts same old story. i like reading comment boards/proper reviews

• Yes

Age bracket
• Under 19

Horse status
• Owner
• I own but don’t ride

half and half, prefer just looking after them than riding them, but that could be due to having no confidence :redface:

Residential location

cambridegshire , east anglia

• 10 - 50%

horsepooequestrian - its based near us and has pick up option for free

thats a hard one, it vaires very much, some months i dont spend anything, last month i spent £400 on a saddle for minnie (well dad treated me :redface:) also is it including food and sups? id say probs about £20 a month, plus any extras eg rugs

only loyal to supplement brands - codlivine, feedmark stuff but other labels dont really bother me, other than i like the slip not ones

depends but normal products about 70:30 generally more expensive items then it would be 40:60

Payment security & options (i.e. being able to use credit card or PayPal)
• Good quality images
Detailed product description
• Web layout
• Simple navigation
• Speed of delivery
• Use of brand names
Price of items
• Other (please specify)

good service, good prices, speedy delivery, cheap delivery

feel bad about not buying from our local small tack shop / feed store which does other items, delivery charges, the lovely smile and chat from the tack shops owner

benefits: can sometimes get it for less than in shops
some items arent stocked at our local tackshop (but she does noramlly order stuff in,

I don’t like giving my bank or personal details and/or I couldn't use PayPal (or other similar payment method)
• I don’t like paying for delivery - depends if over priced

• Items are hard / too much hassle to return - sometimes depends on returns policy
• There wasn’t enough description or a good enough photo for me to be sure of what I was buying

sorry thats pretty much all of those :redface:

ummm not sure

yes

mostly, more on ebay than amazon

• I read if I come across them but don't actively search for any[/QUOTE]

hope its been helpful!

• Female

Age bracket

• 20 - 29

Horse status
• Owner

Residential location
North west

• 75% +

derby house, ride away, robinsons

• £60+

kingsland - good quality
shires- value for money and quality
masta-fit my funny shape pony
equilibrium-do big foot size in boots/wraps
Cant think of any others

Quality-otherwise end up replacing quicker and spending more money

• Payment security & options (i.e. being able to use credit card or PayPal) YES
• Good quality images YES
• Web layout YES
• Simple navigation YES
• Low/reasonable postage & packaging YES
• Speed of delivery YES
• Use of brand names
• Price of items YES
• Other (please specify)

If i like site, easy to use, varied products, quick postage

Cant see product up close, if never ordered dont know what service is like

• Other (please specify)

YES

Sometimes

• Yes if for something specific

Phew, done.

welcome back RM.. nice to see you again :biggrin:

• Female

Age bracket

• 30 – 39

Horse status

Residential location

Sheffield , South Yorkshire

• < 10%

Um not that many really, i have browsed shires recently & also robinsons but its probably only once a month.As for why well they are the 2 that i have heard of..I find them both quite easy to use

• £40 - £60

Not really..i am a bit of a skin flint when it comes to brands & i find that some of the cheaper ranges are just as nice. For example i buy my jods/boots etc from decathlon.

its 50/50 for me - except on my riding helmet(this would be 20/80 i paid a fair bit for it as i think skimping on safety is a no no..

• Good quality images
• Simple navigation

Good service/low cost & ease using the site draws me back.

• I loved what I saw

drawbacks - having to wait for delivery, unsure of quality of the product & hassles if its not appropriate. I also dont think i should have to pay to send the item back. My opinion is that this is a cost the shop should be absorbing.

Benefits - free to peruse 24 hours a day. Good variety of products. If i see a product i like then i tend to search around to see if i can find a better price. I like the fact i have the freedom to do this without traipsing round shops

Prob all of the above...

make it obvious on the website that you wont receive any spam emails etc. I am finding more recently that the wording is often too small, and also very confusing.

Yes - as a relative newbie to the equine world, i would be very interested in reviews of products.

Yes on ebay , and amazon i have left reviews.

• Yes

Age bracket
• 60 – 69

Horse status
• Owner

Residential location

SW England

• 10 - 50%

New Rider - I enjoy the conversation; NFED - to find out what's on and read the ads

• < £10

No

Quality 60% value 40%

• Speed of delivery
• Price of items

Good products, good prices, attractive layout, plenty of information, helpfulness

• I loved what I saw

Any of the above

Benefits: quick, easy, generally have good stock, and it's easy to search several sites for what you want, prices often good

Drawbacks: no-one to talk to about the products, it's not like a real shop where people know you and can give you advice; you can't examine the products before buying them; returning things is a hassle; you have to wait for delivery - and pay for it

• Other No chance to examine the goods, or try on clothes

Sites I visit are fine, don't need improvement

Yes

yes

If you guys wouldn't mind, could you take 10-15 mins maximum to answer the following questions for some market research regarding online retail? Some is equestrian specific, some not. It's for a potential equestrian website that is currently being researched, yet looking to offer something different, depending on demand/requests.

If you'd rather not post for all to see feel free to PM me or ask for my personal email address for you to reply to if you wish to remain totally anonymous.

I might bump this every now again, depending on how much response I get. Many thanks :biggrin:

• Female Female

Age bracket
• Under 19
• 20 - 29
• 30 – 39
• 40 – 49
• 50 – 59 this one :biggrin:
• 60 – 69
• 70+

Horse status
• Owner Yup
• I own but don’t ride
• Loaner
• Sharer
• Other

Residential location
(Generic, i.e. south west England) Surrey

• < 10%
• 10 - 50% Probably, because tack shops are nice to browse in
• 50 - 75%
• 75% +

2. Which equestrian websites do you regularly use, and why? Horse and Rider because I have had good customer service from them, and eBay for choice

• < £10
• £10 - £20
• £20 - £40
• £40 - £60 I'm almost frightened to estimate, but probably about this
• £60+

4. Are you loyal to specific brand names/labels (i.e. John Whitaker, Masta, NAF)? If so, please specify which and why. I like Caldene breeches because they fit

5. Which is of higher importance when spending money; value for money or quality? (Please specify a ratio if possible, e.g. value for money 60%, quality 40%) Quality 70% value 30%

• Payment security & options (i.e. being able to use credit card or PayPal) yup
• Good quality images yup
• Detailed product description yup
• Web layout
• Simple navigation
• Low/reasonable postage & packaging yup
• Speed of delivery yup
• Use of brand names
• Price of items
• Other (please specify)

7. If you revisit a site used before, what draws you back? choice, good prices, really good information

• I regularly browse and sometimes buy this one I think

• I loved what I saw usually

• Yes - I only ever shop in the sales
• Yes - I like to look for a bargain but will be non-sale items if necessary it's a great excuse to buy!
• Not really - I don't look to always save money

11. What do you feel are the benefits and drawbacks of purchasing from a website? The choice is great but I really like to be able to pick products up

• I prefer to see and touch and item before buying it this one
• Items are hard / too much hassle to return sometimes
• There wasn’t enough description or a good enough photo for me to be sure of what I was buying often
• Other (please specify)

13. In which ways would you like to see online retail improved? No suggestions I'm afraid!

14. Would you find other peoples’ reviews of equestrian products useful on a website? Yes, I always read them

15. Do you leave feedback or provide reviews for any products (equestrian or otherwise) e.g. Amazon, eBay and such like? Nearly always

• Yes
• No
• I read if I come across them but don't actively search for any this one

Hope this works ok!

Heh mrs, was about to send the search party out for you!! Glad to see you about, hope everythings ok.

Age bracket
• 30 – 39

Horse status
• Owner

Residential location
Sort of easternly centrally, northernly Scotland - I don't know?!

• 75% +

For shopping - Robinsons, Derby House, Ebay, Equestrian Clearance

• < £10
that makes me sound like a skinflint but I don't really need anything for him other than his foot, farrier, vet stuff.

I like Musto - cause I found a windproof jacket that actually fitted me comfortably
I like Mountain Horse although it doesnt like me cause nothing fits
I like Mark Todd - just cause his stuff looks quite smart but is accessible cost wise
I like Toggi - cause I've got their boots and they fit and they are quite hard wearing (I think - ask me in six months)
I love the look of ARiat - quite posh and aspirational, but none of it would fit me just now so I'll dream

50/50 - sorry thats a cop out!! I guess it depends on the item as to the value vs quality ratio. I would skimp on certain things like feed buckets, headcollars, leadopes - he just breaks them and he never wears them outside the field - only ever in a bridle

• Good quality images
• Detailed product description - info relating to size - I had to buy canvas boots for an abscess and had to call up to check sizing before ordering as would have been pointless otherwise.
• Web layout
• Simple navigation - find robinsons very frustrating, it won't tell you the description until you've selected a size, colour, etc.
• Speed of delivery
• Use of brand names
• Price of items
• Other (please specify)

It all is important I'm afraid but made some points about things that bug me about existing sites!!

Sales emails from robbies or equestrian clearance. Although I can be quite frugal at times and will heap a whole bunch of stuff into my basket and then not buy as decide I get cold feet.
The robbies catalogue and sales flyers, somethign to read through, things catch your eye that you weren't specifically looking for.

• I sometimes browse but am (mostly)strict with what I buy

Benefits
I have access to five tack shops in my area, none of which were able to sell me long boots, a new riding hat or body protector. I ended up in Glasgow at Derby house because they had the stock to support my individual requirements. There is a tack shop just round the corner from my work which is so easy to get to, however EVERY time I've gone into get just the simplest of things - a new girth, a tub of horselyx, etc, they havent had anything. I've resolved never to go back there, not wasting my time. There is a broader selection online but I know that tack shops can't support this.

Drawbacks
Not being able to check measurements for real, the delay in receiving it and sending it back for exchange. (I hate going to the post office.)
Not being to touch and feel the quality. Comparing the products.

Im' not really sure sorry, would be good I guess to have product reviews - like in magazines where testers try out a five different mane and tail spray and say how they compare.

Definitely, use it alot on amazon to influence purchases, always search on NR to see if anyone's fedback anything for horse stuff I'm intending to buy.

Only on ebay

• Yes

Age bracket

• 20 - 29

Horse status
• Owner
and
• Loaner

Residential location
Derbyshire

• 75% +

Robinsons
Derbyhouse
Equestrian Clearance
Millbury
Hope Valley Saddlery
Ebay

• £60+

No none at all, except for rugs because I know they fit I couldn’t really tell you what brand any of my stuff even is.

Depends on the product. If it has any kind of safety need – then quality takes preference. If it is an everyday thing then value takes over.

• Payment security & options (i.e. being able to use credit card or PayPal)- not important because I just expect every site to have it anyway
Important
• Good quality images
• Web layout
• Price of items

That was hard, I find them all very important

Ease of use. I rarely use real shops and buy everything on the internet but if a process takes me too long (and I mean seconds too long) because there are too many clicks or a procedure isn’t straight forward or irrelevant information is asked then I go elsewhere. I sometimes go back to websites because they are easy to browse then go to another because I know they will be cheaper but the item is harder to identify. So I suppose price reputation means I go back.

All the below. Infact I nearly bought a beaded Shetland show halter earlier and I could use any of these as an excuse :D
• I loved what I saw

Benefits to me are that I am scatty and busy and live in the middle of nowhere and am usually infront of the computer. If I think of needing something at the stables then I can order it that day when I get home to work and it will arrive within a few days, the whole process will take me minutes. When I go to my local tack shop/feed merchants I usually forget what I need, or they don’t have it in stock or they only have one brand available and I know the fit/quality won’t be right (e.g they only had one 6”3 lightweight turnout recently and it was Masta so I knew it was no good. I went home and ordered a Shires instead). It savesme time, money ad hassle shopping on the internet.

• I don’t like paying for delivery- I don’t mind paying for delivery but I will not be fooled into thinking something is cheap just for silly postage charges to be added.

I would like to see more help with sizes so e.g I bought some chaps recently and they are too small. It was said for a small adult which I am, with short calves, but it didn’t say that because I have size 6 they wouldn’t fit. Sometimes I would like to see items on a horse so e.g a grazing muzzle being photographed with every size on different horses so I can compare to my horse and have a better idea of what fits. It would be better for sites to help with sizes because people are less likely to make a return.

Yes, I use a lot of review sites for other things. Like tripadvisor I always use before going somewhere I use Amazon always and like the Argos website because you can read reviews.

Yes, always on ebay and sometimes on Amazon but it depends on the product. If I feel there is enough information there that I agree with I don’t bother.

• Yes

• Female

Age bracket

• 50 – 59

Horse status
• Owner

Residential location
North west England

• 50 - 75%

Robinsons (quick delivery)
Equipharm (again quick and easy to order)
Derby House (usually value for money)

• £20 - £40

No

Quality 60%
Value 40%

• Speed of delivery
• Price of items

Quality of service

• I loved what I saw

If you have to return an item is a drawback
Being able to browse without hassle is a plus

Cheaper delivery especially for several items even if not all in stock when ordered sometimes end up paying delivery charge 2 or 3 times

yes

yes

• Yes

• Female female

Age bracket
• 40 – 49

Horse status
• Owner

Residential location

North West England

never

none

Not applicable

• Good quality images
• Web layout
• Simple navigation
• Speed of delivery
• Use of brand names
• Price of items
• Other (please specify)

• I regularly browse and sometimes buy

• I loved what I saw

I don't really trust or enjoy internet shopping, prefer a catalogue.

• Other (please specify)
Lack of personal touch, I prefer having somebody to talk to about a potential purchase to ask specific questions

Most websites jam up or go slow at some point, I find this usually when I'm trying to shop, so mainly stick to Robinsons catalogue or Derby House.
Maybe

sometimes used to.

Hope this helps.

newrider.com