Marmite horses - anyone else got one?

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
People seem to have pretty strong opinions about my boy . . . they either really like him, or they can't stand him.

He doesn't have perfect manners, he's quite "in your face" - although I wouldn't say he was bolshy or particularly barge-y - he's confident around people and some would say he's a "space invader" - he's forever goosing people (particularly the farrier) and if anyone bends down to pick out his front feet he has to wiffle through their hair or sniff their back (and sometimes lick). He's very, very playful - feed buckets get trashed b/c he picks them up and chucks them around his box (or over the door). We had to take the weave grill off his door because he kept picking it up in his teeth and letting it bang against the lower door - thought that was a great game.

He's very, very nosey and quite demanding of attention - has to say hello to everyone who walks past his box and always does better in a "box with a view." He's extremely impatient and very good at getting what he wants, when he wants (yells for his breakfast for instance). Everything goes in his mouth . . . lead ropes, headcollars, rugs, brushes, brooms . . . everything - so I have to leave everything out of reach. He has a low boredom threshhold and will act the maggot once he's bored (cantering round his box for instance).

Some people find all of this endearing (me, included). Others just think he's spoilt and rude.

He has basic manners - will move out of your space when asked, picks up all four feet, doesn't bite or kick (although he does wave that left hind around quite alot), leads well (most of the time), stands still to be mounted, isn't aggressive or protective about his food.

He isn't an easy ride - definitely tests the rider - and more than one person has described him as "arrogant" . . . but now that he's being regularly schooled, he's more obliging than he was.

I'm rambling now.

Anyone else got a marmite horse?

I must admit when I was trying horses I met plenty who had PERFECT manners - and found them boring.

N

I often ride one at the riding school called sollie.
He's a 17.3hh bay hanoverian (I think) gelding
When leading him he'll do these bunny hops fo no reason except for the fact he wants to.
He'll randomly squeel and buck when riding him and he reaaally tests your skills as a rdier.
However when he feels like it he can go wonderfully but other times he's a right pleb!

I think everyone dislike my boy apart from me :giggle: Though even I get a bit frustrated with him sometimes.
My boy sounds very similar to yours!

Yeah think I've got one - the trainer said he was best suited to me as, 'after all, who else would want him?' he's not a jumper, he wouldn't fit any showing categories, he's got his issues. He's a heavy, he's not fast, etc. But the only person who has to love him is me and I do, so I'm quite happy with that. Yes alot of people admire his mane but that's very differed to owning him, not everyone's cup of tea.

Yes June!! She works off first impressions and if she doesn't like you then that is it, she becomes very unpleasant to you and becomes difficult to handle, and has been known to threaten to kick and nip. The people she likes she is a little angel for.

The people she likes tend to love her. She is very willing and can be quite loveable - coming over for scratches and hugs and loves to partake in a bit of mutual grooming (which usually sends people gaga!!) the people she dislikes know to stay clear of either end of her! She's defo a love her of hate her horse!

Prime example. June didn't want to canter so cocky 12 year old thinks she can make her. Yanks her in the mouth getting on and smacks her on bum before web setting off. June stands quietly looking at me out of corner of her eye. Girl asks June to walk on - June broncs down the side of school with her and puts her on the ground.
Original rider gets back on and June goes back into plod mode. I have to be very careful with who I let handle her!!

Please note I dont usually let people smack my horse but June putting her on the floor in style was a better punishment then me giving her a bollocking!

Joy is less so now but when I got her from the rs everyone that worked there was surprised I'd taken to her so much. Ridden she'd try to drag your leg on the wall of the school. She'd power forward one step in trot and drop back the next. She was young, opinionated and unschooled. She didn't really hack out either. A fairly challenging ride but I knew in my heart this was because she didnt suit being at the rs and would be better in a private home.

She remains unschooled and now is a fun hack and could be a drama queen if she had a flap-able rider on her.

She not demonstrative to everyone but is worth it when you have bonded and very loyal and willing to please and work hard. She was easy to train for hacking out once she'd got over her fear of mushrooms! And I've been able to iron out a number of other issues without fuss because of her will to please me and work hard. She's much better now she has a 1 to 1 relationship with a human.

She reverts back to that naughty bored rs pony though if you trying schooling in an enclosed area. I ought to work her through that but given I only want to hack I don't see the point.

Given most people want a pony they can ride in a school she's not for everyone but then she's mine so I'm not bothered. Although truth be told if money were no issue I'd have someone school her 3 times a week to keep her fitter for me and do the stuff I dont do.

Last edited:
People seem to have pretty strong opinions about my boy . . . they either really like him, or they can't stand him.

He doesn't have perfect manners, he's quite "in your face" - although I wouldn't say he was bolshy or particularly barge-y - he's confident around people and some would say he's a "space invader" - he's forever goosing people (particularly the farrier) and if anyone bends down to pick out his front feet he has to wiffle through their hair or sniff their back (and sometimes lick). He's very, very playful - feed buckets get trashed b/c he picks them up and chucks them around his box (or over the door). We had to take the weave grill off his door because he kept picking it up in his teeth and letting it bang against the lower door - thought that was a great game.

He's very, very nosey and quite demanding of attention - has to say hello to everyone who walks past his box and always does better in a "box with a view." He's extremely impatient and very good at getting what he wants, when he wants (yells for his breakfast for instance). Everything goes in his mouth . . . lead ropes, headcollars, rugs, brushes, brooms . . . everything - so I have to leave everything out of reach. He has a low boredom threshhold and will act the maggot once he's bored (cantering round his box for instance).

Some people find all of this endearing (me, included). Others just think he's spoilt and rude.

He has basic manners - will move out of your space when asked, picks up all four feet, doesn't bite or kick (although he does wave that left hind around quite alot), leads well (most of the time), stands still to be mounted, isn't aggressive or protective about his food.

He isn't an easy ride - definitely tests the rider - and more than one person has described him as "arrogant" . . . but now that he's being regularly schooled, he's more obliging than he was.

I'm rambling now.

I must admit when I was trying horses I met plenty who had PERFECT manners - and found them boring.

N

He sounds brilliant!!!

I'm rambling now.

N

I have one of these at home too! You could have just descibed Caymen, he is always up to something! Does he paw the ground alot? That's what C does... he was tied up the other day and He got his leg caught up in the rope and was stuck.. blooming daft horse. Glad I was there though!

I have to say though, it has never crossed my mind that people would not love him! As my friend says... I love the quirky ones! Her mum asks her every day... what was Caymen doing today? :giggle::giggle:

Not sure, most people like her, though maybe not when she rounds them up in the field. Tries to help them catch their horse by loitering.

She has a blue eye so that stops the conversation dead sometimes, but it IS actually blue not a wall eye as daddy is a coloured from Ireland. She's almost three and teething so going through things in the mouth phase.

Yes, yes he does paw the ground alot - and often manages to get himself caught up. I have to remember to tie him up short if I tie him on the yard . . . so he can't get tangled up in his knitting ;).

The everything in the mouth thing - well, I'd understand he was still a baby but he's 9!!! I suspect he will never grow out of it . . .

He's making a nuisance of himself now by kicking seven bells out of his stable wall in the morning - this is a new "quirk" and we're not sure what's triggering it really. He gets his breakfast at around 6.30 - has hay and then goes out at around 8 (it's the latest I dare keep him in to keep him off our incredibly rich grass). It may be as simple as him just enjoying the sound . . . sigh.

N

My little boys pony has been described more than once as 'Marmite pony'...but its her looks :cry:.....We love her to absolute pieces, and yes she is unusual...but was at a show one day and the person next to me described her as a 'mothers love' :furious:

She is a true blue roan and her coat is forever changing colour, but her face is nearly always black, a lovely white star, a pretty shaped head as a sec b, BUT looks as though she has white eyeliner on both eyes!!!! so a little odd! Shes the dearest little pony and a gem to ride, so I do get a little bit sad when I hear people commenting on her eyes! :(

Yeah think I've got one - the trainer said he was best suited to me as, 'after all, who else would want him?' he's not a jumper, he wouldn't fit any showing categories, he's got his issues. He's a heavy, he's not fast, etc. But the only person who has to love him is me and I do, so I'm quite happy with that. Yes alot of people admire his mane but that's very differed to owning him, not everyone's cup of tea.

I Love HIM!!! :sluggish:

newrider.com