Maybe new horse?? HELP!

Jun 12, 2019
Illinois
Might be getting a horse! I was originally looking at a young gelding who still needed some training and after making a post about that decided that it just wouldn't be fair to him to have anything less than a very experienced rider, and I decided to look for some others. I’ve found these three and I’m wondering- which do you think is best for me?

I’m 5’3”, but still have a few inches to grow and strongly prefer larger horses, they give me confidence. I’m a beginning jumper, and have ridden for six years, in addition I’ve managed to become very close with one of the rudest, brattiest mares on the premises and at least friendly with all but a small few of the other horses, and the stable has at least 22. I am always gentle yet firm when working with and riding the horses, and not afraid to reprimand unacceptable behavior, such as pinning ears or pulling to get to some grass, with only necessary harshness.

Just to give a bit more perspective. I’ve ridden all types of horses, from the sassy old mare who kicks anyone within three feet of her rump, to the gentle giant.

Some of my favorites so far have been these:

A sassy mare that will literally kick anyone that gets too close to her rump, other horses included. Also is lazy as a rock. She bucked with me one time, that was actually quite fun. Will run off and/or make faces if a horse is deemed too close in general.

A lazy old gelding who will avoid work like the plague and will throw you if you twopoint just a little to early before a jump. Gave me a nice facefull of sand too. He’s sweet though.

Sassy younger mare, has a lot of get up and go, but likes to bite other horses and make a bunch of nasty faces.

A very sweet gentle giant, and by giant I mean 16.1, 16.2 hands. Does everything when you ask, excellent ground manners, and very sweet. Is honestly also probably one of the prettiest horses I’ve seen, a gorgeous dark bay with a white star.

An ex-racehorse. He bites, kicks, and will bolt on you if you kick too hard or hang on his face. Certainly a very interesting and fun ride, although quite challenging.

Now onto the horses.

I was hoping for someone a year or two younger so that I can spend maximum time with them but I think she’d be very nice, regardless of age, and certainly a bit more seasoned.

https://www.myrighthorse.org/available-horses/mare-thoroughbred-from-huntington-jane This girl also looks pretty nice, definitely seems like a fun ride.

Aww, poor baby. I think I’d be a good match for him as well.

Anyone who sees this, which of these three do you think would be the best fit for me?

Feel free to suggest other horses you’ve found, but note the following when suggesting:

•$1,000 is sadly as high as I can go. I’m negotiating board pricing as-is to be able to afford.
•Preferably Illinois, or close by in a neighboring state. Near Chicago is best.
•Preferably 15hh and up- I love big horses.
•Probably couldn’t go below about 13.8hh comfortably.
•Any horse requiring no training is good.
•Must be in hunter jumper discipline.

I replied on your other post about those 2 :) it would be good to ask your trainer to keep an eye out for something for you he/she is likely to hear about horses for sale locally, you could also go to some small jumper events and start talking to people, 4h might be a good bet as they will have nice experienced horses and possibly people going off to college might be looking to sell them or you might get lucky and be offered a lease even :) a good way to show everyone how committed you are might be to volunteer at an event to help out, that's a great way to make contacts :) good luck

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com