Me and Bella

Mojojungle

Mar 25, 2018
Oxfordshire
I am about to embark on an awfully big adventure with my 5 year old ex-racer Bella.
Her racing name was Chandos Belle and she is the sweetest 5 year old mare I have ever met.
My riding career was brought to a halt 8 years ago after a whack on the head followed by post-concussion syndrome.
Bella’s career on the track ended in April this year with a snapped tendon.
Fate brought us together and we are both ready to learn together for a new life of happy hacking and novice dressage

These shots are of Bella out in the field for the first time back in June with our 18 year old tb exracer Le Briar Soul AKA Briar.
She came to us after 4 weeks box rest at her training yard following a snapped tendon during her final race in April (she still finished the race in 4th place on that occasion)
4 more weeks box rest with us, ably assisted by gentleman Briar in the adjacent stable showering her with love and reassurance as if they had known each other forever.
I will update her story, with more pictures later today

Once Bella finished her box rest and compression bandaging it was time to take her out in hand for a gentle walk.
Double lead reins at the ready we opened the stable door and were both propelled at high speed either side of her down to the end of our drive.
Bella still had working racehorse head on, but her sweet character shone through because if she felt spooked she would lean in rather than attempt to break away.
We walked her down to the field where Briar was waiting, with lots of whinnying on both sides.
It has been an absolute joy to see the instant bond between the two of them, as Briar leaned right over the gate to groom Bella.
Daily walks with both of us on the lead reins down to the field and back gradually settled her down to the more sedate pace of her new life.
She gradually understood what treats are, and the difference between hay and straw in her stable, rather than shavings from the racing yard.
Initially she ate everything that was put down, put turned her nose up at treats put right under her mouth.
Her new life away from the track has been a gradual transition and I will continue the back story to bring it up to date.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
On the day in July when it was decided Bella was sound enough to be let out in the field for the first time we all felt a mixture of excitement and trepidation.
Bella had settled in well with us and was happy to be groomed, walked, have her bandages changed without any sign of flightiness. Letting her loose in the field and then recatching her was a different prospect but she was definitely ready for the next stage in her rehabilitation.
We fitted some brushing boots for extra support and walked her down to our middle field. Briar was across the railway line in our other field for the day.
Bella was perplexed as to where her big buddy was, and we opened the gate and let her graze for a bit before letting her loose.
Our beautiful young lady set off in a circle near us before putting her head down and galloping away to the far end of the field. The racehorse conditioning and mindset was still very evident, but she then galloped back straight towards us and stopped for a nuzzle and a cuddle.
Evidently the bond was there for recall not to be a problem, we just had to control things to avoid madam aggravating her injury in her excitement.

The next day Bella was kitted out and the same routine followed.
Walk down to the field, and an hour supervised access on her own to stretch her legs and blow off some steam.
The volume levels in our quiet country village went up a few decibels as Bella trotted up and down the fence line whinnying and calling for Briar to show his face. This then set off Felix and Eddie, two horses that live in the opposite paddock, and Briar from across the railway line.

Briar had never been particularly vocal in the years Phil had him at home as an only horse, but Bella’s arrival had brought out his voice and given him a new lease of life.
I stayed in the field with Bella as Phil walked over to fetch Briar. We had been planning to wait a few more days for this but it was evident that she wanted her man with her and it would help immensely as long as the introduction in the field went ok.

Briar was an absolute gentleman and there was lots of nuzzling and head bobbing as he entered the field, so amazing to watch as if they had known each other for ever.
Phil was more apprehensive than me as his previous tb exracer (his old event horse) shared a field with his sisters part-Arab mare. This has ended with carnage and blood shed one day as they both took lumps out of each other, resulting in separate strip grazing and careful management when not riding together as a pairs xc event team!

No need for any worry with Briar and Bella as we let them loose. They galloped off and straight back to us, with a lot of jinks and leaps to celebrate.

Reactions: Trewsers
Hooray lesson one completed today. First time in the saddle for 8 years, riding Autumn, a Dutch warmblood.
Pauline, my instructor, is absolutely amazing and selected Autumn for my first lesson back as she is similar in shape and potential to my Bella.
Pauline tailored everything to my hyper mobility issues and my natural tendency towards western riding.
Very proud of myself as the muscle memory was still there and the balance held. We focussed on seating position and lower body today. Feeling good.
Bella had the farrier in this morning as both she and Briar had new shoes and a pedicure. Lunging again for her this weekend and next lesson for me on Tuesday

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com