Measuring tape

Vez

Nov 3, 2006
Wylam, Northumberland
I just wondered where you measure on the horse using one. My aim for this year is to keep Willow at a decent weight in stead of being on the chubby side like she normally is so I thought this will be the best way to moniter it! Also how accurate do you find them for measureing if they have lost weight?

Thank you Vez xx

I answered this one last week so copied what I wrote :)

If you click on the link below there is a picture and instructions on how to do this properly:

http://www.effem-equine.com/Waltham%...our_horse.html

At this time of year i am fittening my horses and i log the weight every single week to see where the food and exercise is making a difference, that site www.manage-my-horse.com has a weight page and you can store these weights and view a graph to see the changes. Hate to tell everyone about it but it's fantastic for this sort of thing.

Good luck!

hop e the link still works!!

if you measure round the girth area (cm) then measure the length of the horse,

square the girth measurement (ie if it was 180 its 180x180)
then times that total by the length measurement, and then divide that total by 11,877 and you will have your horses weight in kg!

They also have a calculator where you can measure as Skewbald-mad says and it calculates the weight for you. Quite handy I suppose if you do it that way but i use a tape.

I use a weight tape that has the measurments worked out on it. I also log his weight on Manage My Horse, usually with a little note as to how his condition is as well. I generally find that condition scoring alongside weight-taping gives a clearer over-all impression of whether weight has been gained or lost.

newrider.com