Meet Milo and some advice please

This is our little cat Milo.

He was to be a yard cat but I try not to make them too friendly so they are wary of people, animals and cars but unfortunately this little guy didn't agree with not being too friendly. When he started following me out to the car of an evening I decided he either had to come home or be rehomed because I've lost too many cats on the road at the yard.

So he's come home and settled in, he's been home nearly 3 weeks now and the dogs have accepted he is in the house.

My question, I've been off ill today and am off tomorrow I'm thinking now would be a good opportunity to start letting him out.

How do I go about it? I am worried about it lol, for a non cat person I'm quite taken with him, do I just open the window and let him go out when he is ready he's always at the window and very interested with outside. He's obviously been outside before I'm not so worried with how he will take being let out as much as I am with knowing he will definitely come home again.

Pictures!!!
image_zps85b005c5.jpg

image_zps9137f88a.jpg

image_zps9a40797b.jpg

Milo looks like he's made himself at home! Sorry, can't offer up any advice, but I am sure plenty of people on here will. He's very cute btw.

I think the best idea is to let him out just before feed time while he is hungry. He is unlikely to go too far for his first explore and will be tempted back for his feed.

There was an old wives tale about putting butter on their paws so that they became familiar with where they were while they were licking it off; but I think it's just that - an old wives tale!

Good luck!

ETA he's a beautiful cat - can see why you've brought him home!

Oh what a really beautiful little cat. How gorgeous he is.

I agree. There's nothing for it really but just to let them out, but if you make sure they are good and hungry you are unlikely to have many problems.

You might like to practice recall first. Cats only come when they want to, but it's good to have a long range signal you know they know. Our cat Meisie comes to a high pitch "kitten!" and Poppie to "Poppiekit!" and at close range they both come running to a gentle hand clap.

Mine are indoor cats - couldn't cope with the worry if they went out! In the past I have let cats out though, and for the first few times I went out with them and walked round the garden with them, keeping as close as I could and called to them if they went somewhere they shouldn't. Basically you need to be a mother cat - teacher and comforter. That way if they get spooked they tend to run to you not into unfamiliar territory.

Butter on paws and letting out just before feed time.

What's his favourite, offer that when he. comes back.

The general rule is to keep them in your house for 2 weeks minimum before letting them out. You've done that and he certainly looks settled enough from those photos!!! I agree with the others, let him out before dinner and stick around to keep an eye on him the first few times. I'm sure he'll be fine ;)

a covered litter tray isn't a big hassle, i have 8 cats and most of them are indoors and the ones that go out come in and use the litter trays

most cats get injured at night, so it is good practice to keep them in at night, so a tray is required. for one cat, also if you use a very top quality litter which won't smell - Sainsbury own label ultra clumping is good - the cheap litters do smell and don't sop up the wee.

mine moved house in November, only one so far is going out, the others are nervous and too timid as yet.

I used to take them out on a harness to get them used to it, or put them in a kitten pen and leave them outside so they could see what was going on but not escape.

Ziggy is going out, but at first we tend to stay with them ready to guide them back in or pick them up if they go too far.

When we had cats at home when I was younger we had them in at night but didn't need a tray, he never does anything in it over night either so I don't think that will be an issue.

I don't like litter trays, only use one when absolutely necessary when they have to be indoors all the time.

He's a bit keener to go out today so will let him out for a bit in a short while and then get him back in for a bit later and let him out again before dinner.

We have a cat flap. Ours come and go and are on the whole curled up asleep when its wet or cold.
They do hunt at night so ours are permitted to go out if they want to, or be in if they want to.

Saying that-both are fast asleep now. They also sleep a lot. I could come back as a cat in my next life, it looks so chilled and stress free!

newrider.com