Mental health and horses

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
I've started this dicieson before(and people it seemed people liked in) but I have anxitey and the one thing that can make forget everything else is riding or just being around horses in gernal.who else feels this?

I can have a migraine anywhere else in the world, but as soon as I enter the presence of my horse, it just disappears.

Usually it returns once I’m away from him sadly, so not a cure all, but he certainly helps (when he’s not costing me huge vet bills and stress!)

Riding is my 1 absolute escape from everything, when I ride I am 'in the moment', you kind of have to be to sit that unexpected spook or trip.... the average reaction time for a horse is quicker than a humans (the difference between predator and prey animals) so we have to concentrate to keep up with them ;) When I am in the moment I leave behind all my worries and stresses and it is about the only time I get complete peace of mind :) I struggle enough as it is, without horses I'd likely be bat sh!t crazy :p

Yes yes - definitely being around or riding takes lots of stress away and worries. My Mr T and I had a difficult time a few years ago and he suffers from depression and if it hadn't been for the horses I don't know how either of us would have coped and got through it all.

Reactions: Native Lover
@Jessey thats it exactly, it’s rare we are really ‘in the moment’ except when we are with our horses.
It’s certainly true for me, my mind is solely focussed on what’s happening at the time, no wonder horses are so good for our mental wellbeing.

Reactions: Jessey
I had a bad day yesterday, had consult about surgery and then found out that a good friend has a cancer diagnosis and not a great one. This morning it was a beautiful day, I rode Buddy up around a field margin, on top of a hill, stood looking at the view, blubbed a bit about my friend and then rode home. Buddy was alive, alert, full of fun, we laughed, I made a vow to get out on him as much as I can between now and my op. And get back on board as soon as possible afterwards.

Yes yes - definitely being around or riding takes lots of stress away and worries. My Mr T and I had a difficult time a few years ago and he suffers from depression and if it hadn't been for the horses I don't know how either of us would have coped and got through it all.

I think I remember you saying that last time I'm starting a new job next week and very nervous I got a riding lesson later though

Kia kept me from killing myself last year. Yes I love my family but my chewed up brain just kept going back to him being PTS because I wasn’t there to look after him. In my screwed thought processes I was a failure and disappointment to my family and friends, they didn’t need me, obviously not the case but when you are in a black hole nothing looks as it should.

So yes I honestly wouldn’t be here without Kia, I owe him more than I can ever say.

I have severe anxiety and severe depression (Joy!). I have been in very dark places. As some people are aware ending up in hospital a few times for stupid things and not far off being sectioned!
Sox has been litrally the one thing that has kept me going. I have often said to people if i didnt have him i litrally wouldnt have a reason to keep going.
I wasnt far off ruining both my liver and kidneys last year. Hence almost been sectioned! However as someone told me recently.
@Cortrasna i believe it was you??
It wasnt fair on sox to have possibly the same fate as me.
So yes... my horse and horses in general have helped me more then anyone.
I have to add massive thanks to @Jessey @carthorse and @MrC too :D

Kia kept me from killing myself last year. Yes I love my family but my chewed up brain just kept going back to him being PTS because I wasn’t there to look after him. In my screwed thought processes I was a failure and disappointment to my family and friends, they didn’t need me, obviously not the case but when you are in a black hole nothing looks as it should.

So yes I honestly wouldn’t be here without Kia, I owe him more than I can ever say.

Totally get that feeling. You just seen yourself as a huge burden. Scary how when you come out of that dark place you realise how dark of a place you was In!

Reactions: Nierva and MrC
Minions, everyone needs Minions. Someone once said to me they could see no point of miniature Shetland ponies.

How wrong they were.

Having rescued my Minions (mostly minis), all I can say is they are my greatest source of pleasure, they make me smile. They are the best therapy ever.

Feeling miserable?, sit down in a field of miniature Shetland ponies and you will be loved and hugged and loved a bit more. I always leave smiling and feeling I have a worth in their lives.

Get some miniature Shetland ponies. Best therapy ever. Better than foals, lambs and puppies.

Reactions: Nierva and Jessey
I've changed jobs a number of times over the last three years: after one of them came to its natural end, leaving me unsure about which direction to take, I threw myself back into riding after a long break. Essentially, I started over again (I always seem to be a New Rider). It's one of the best things I've ever done. Despite still not knowing quite what the future holds, I know I will be on horseback on a regular basis. I also know that it's an important part of my health and happiness - even my identity. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere: my lovely and challenging RI has been talking about 'setting goals' and those may be good for me, but the main thing for me is simply to be a rider.

Reactions: Nierva
Spending time with animals, especially horses, can have a positive impact on mental health. As someone who struggles with anxiety, I've found that spending time with my horse has been incredibly therapeutic. There's just something about being in their presence and feeling their calming energy that helps to reduce my anxiety.
I also recently came across an article about cptsd and how equine therapy can be beneficial for those who have experienced prolonged trauma. It's amazing how these gentle giants can have such a profound impact on our mental well-being.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nierva and Huggy
Spending time with animals, especially horses, can have a positive impact on mental health. As someone who struggles with anxiety, I've found that spending time with my horse has been incredibly therapeutic. There's just something about being in their presence and feeling their calming energy that helps to reduce my anxiety.
I also recently came across an article about cptsd and how equine therapy can be beneficial for those who have experienced prolonged trauma. It's amazing how these gentle giants can have such a profound impact on our mental well-being.
This threads very old, might not get noticed, but agree with you - I start and end my day with a smile, thanks to my horse

I don’t have my own horse - I wish! - but even just spending time with others’ horses, be it caring for them or riding them, always helps me. It’s the only thing I can get out of bed for sometimes.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com