Mini cob to plait or not for local fun show

Rosiewells86

Jun 13, 2020
Hi. So we are going to our first local very fun show in the next few weeks. My daughter is taking her mini cob for a fun day. Question is do we plait to smarten her up. Her mane is currently short as it was snapping and in poor condition {after speaking to a nutritionist diet has been changed and the regrowth feels much healthier). She has her feathers but these are due to come off becuase of pesky feather mites but I might wait till after the show depending on opinions (she's had two injections from the vets for this also bit they have recommended feathers coming off) anyway I digress. She is only doing introduction to showing ridden and in hand. Handy pony. Bottom. Hole jumping and best cob type in hand. I know at this level it probably doesn't matter but we would like to look smart still but don't want to get it totally wrong. She's in no way a show pony and will only ever do fun local shows. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20200713_165321.jpg
    IMG_20200713_165321.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20200727_142853_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200727_142853_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20200727_142940_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200727_142940_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20200727_142803_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200727_142803_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 14
There are lots of people here who know more than me, but I think you have 2 choices: mini gypsy cob, with as much mane and feather as possible, or mini show cob, which would mean feathers trimmed and mane hogged.

If you're going to trim her anyway, you could give her a no 1 all over and show her as a mini show cob. It might be easier if her mane's not in great condition. She looks as if she would scrub up well for conformation!

I am of the thinking DHL in our all off

If the feathers are going then hog, but her decent clippers that can do the job and carry on doing the job.
If you don't want the hair to grow it will add you soon as you turn your back, every few weeks.

If the vet has done a skin scraping and it's feather mites, the hair should be gone. She will be stamping and chewing herself at the show.

I am of the thinking DHL in our all off

If the feathers are going then hog, but her decent clippers that can do the job and carry on doing the job.
If you don't want the hair to grow it will add you soon as you turn your back, every few weeks.

If the vet has done a skin scraping and it's feather mites, the hair should be gone. She will be stamping and chewing herself at the show.
Sorry for ignkrance but was is DHL? Vet didn't skin scrape but checked her legs and said she had signs of feather mites. She's had the injection and then she came back for the repeat Injextion and told me to wash it with a dandruff shampoo.

There are lots of people here who know more than me, but I think you have 2 choices: mini gypsy cob, with as much mane and feather as possible, or mini show cob, which would mean feathers trimmed and mane hogged.

If you're going to trim her anyway, you could give her a no 1 all over and show her as a mini show cob. It might be easier if her mane's not in great condition. She looks as if she would scrub up well for conformation!
I'm just not sure she has the neck to carry off being hogged she's still a baby so not much muscle yet? Xx

It should read I am of the thinking, it's all on, or, all off.

However I would not be clipping feathers off without a skin scraping, you are treating blind. You have paid for two visits and two injections to treat something you don't know the horse has.
Dandruff shampoo doesn't kill mites as far as I know.

I really don't think it matters for that kind of show, if your daughter wants him hairy and wild or plaited and pristine let her go with what ever she wants :D
Thank you jessey. Kind of what I was thinking but didn't want to get it totally wrong. She would like her plaited so we may give that a go.x

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com